Notices

8 Months Sober And.... I spoke Tonight!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Months Sober And.... I spoke Tonight!

Hey everyone! So tonight I went to an interchange meeting tonight. And while I was there guess what? Well as you know from the title.... I spoke tonight! For the first time ever since I finally sobered up for real this time! It was amazing. The words came out of my mouth without thinking about it and I told my story. I focused on the growing aspect of how much I would start to drink. Not tell each individual drunk o log. As I continued the story everyone was listening and nodding in agreement and relating to what I went through. They all nodded when I told them the last day when I wanted to sober up I had these drinks sitting there by my computer desk just begging to have me open them up. I grabbed one can and proceeded to open it and I placed my fingers on the tab and went to crack it open when I hesitated and put the can down and broke down in tears and fell to my knees and looked up and told my higher power that I give up for good. That if he could just help me this time me being serious and I felt this floating around me and felt free. Though there were alot of hardships on the way I made it back to my feet. I am happy to be sober today. I told them I focus one day at a time and don't count the days of being sober. Many members came up to me after and shook my hand and told them I was very honest and that my words were very soothing and helpful. I was told that one young guy who was listening was very intent on listening to me that he even leaned forward to show how interested he was in my story. I was rather moved and know that I am very much happy to be sober and in AA and love it each day thanks everyone! I even mentioned this site while speaking
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope I can someday be where you are. Congradulations on this amazing achievment.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by tiel View Post
I hope I can someday be where you are. Congradulations on this amazing achievment.
focus on 1 day at a time and think about the here and now. Focus hard and you'll get where I am at. BUT don't think that far ahead. Get to meetings and really listen up and don't shut anything out. I did for 4 years in AA and now? Now I am finally listening and finally accepted I am an alcoholic. good luck my friend. Good luck. It's possible to do so if you put your mind to it!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations THEObijway

D
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you....
You simply never know who can relate to your story...I'm glad you spoke.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It's a great feeling to start GIVING back at meetings. Way to go. It's not easy talking, not always and especially not at first. It'll contribute greatly to your sobriety and to the quality of your recovery.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Sounds like a great experience and I know about that dreaded, computer chair drinking, that became my drinking & get high spot for far to long. Congrats to you THEO
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's awesome O. I've spoken once and found it very liberating. Way to go!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats to you!!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations! Awesome service work!

(what's an interchange meeting?)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome! The part I have related to most were the people speaking. I'm absolutely positive that you have helped everyone in that room, and everyone reading your post. Good job!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to crack the ice friend!! Glad you posted this!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Awesome. I have only 4 months but I've chaired 2 meetings (i kind of got forced to, lol) and i speak up once in a while when something is on my mind but you have oustanding courage!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Congratulations! Awesome service work!

(what's an interchange meeting?)
An interchange meeting is where your home group goes to another aa group and puts on the meeting. You do all their readings, slogans and one of your members who comes to the interchange to put on the meeting speaks. Just so happens every person who came along spoke already several times so they asked me to speak and I said sure It was an amazing feeling and I woke up this morning smiling and feeling this new energy surround me lol.

Thanks everyone for the support here. I've had my ups and downs and ocne I left this site in anger then came back realizing my stupidity and allowing my emotions to beat me again. It's been a great journey. My brother and I went to the video game store today ... tried a game demo and loved the game... so we were taking the bus and then walked back home and I was talking to him how I did last night and everything just spilled out of my heart. HIm and I talk once in awhile on how I am doing and everything came out. How I love my life today and never ever want to go back to drinking because everything thats happened up to this point while being sobered has been amazing. I could never love the girl i am seeing today if my focus was alcohol or I'd scare her away from me being too drunk in front of her. I love life, I really do and I told them last night that this time around I'm really here to stay and I'm really motivated to continue on. Again I'd like to send out one huge hug to everyone here. I'd love to message each nice comment but lol take too long so here it is for you all.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes courage and a will to stay sober speakers meetings dont come easy to all members but if you hang around meetings and go the extra mile to stay sober speaking becomes a part of our lives I remember the first time I spoke I was at a prison camp meeting with my sponsor talk about fear but as I started speaking I become a little more relaxed. Good job keep up the good work. Blessings to you.