Notices

What is your relapse prevention strategy?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by TU
I'm not sure that your AV came up with the notion of triggers, as it was probably invented by some psychologist
No, my AV didn't coin the term, but latched on to it for sure. As I said, calling life events "triggers" is the AV's idea, meaning it's not me that chooses to define them as such.

Originally Posted by TU
Cursing at the Beast is like cursing at your stomach when it feels hunger pangs.
nope, you're right...but sometimes a quiet little f*ck you with a smile toward the beast just feels good LOL
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Quitter

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Triggers? This always interests me. There are situations in my life that most certainly arouse anger, sadness, anxiety, happiness, joy, peace. Problems come up that need to be resolved. There are good times that call for celebration. There are peaceful, quiet times. There are loud, stormy times. I have had times of deep despair and surely will again. Calling these things triggers to drink or use is my addictive voice's idea, so I don't use that verbiage.
I meant there are people, places, habits that become heavily associated with drinking. Maybe triggers was the wrong word? You are right that you can't use these things as excuses...I only meant that there are those situations that are harder to deal with when new to sobriety.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Quitter

No, my AV didn't coin the term, but latched on to it for sure. As I said, calling life events "triggers" is the AV's idea, meaning it's not me that chooses to define them as such.

nope, you're right...but sometimes a quiet little f*ck you with a smile toward the beast just feels good LOL
What is AV?
Excuse the ignorance.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by JustARide View Post
What is AV?
Excuse the ignorance.
AV is the Addictive Voice. In Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT), the AV is defined as "any thinking, imagery, or feeling that supports, or even suggests, the possible future use of alcohol or drugs, ever." It is more or less analogous to the "mental obsession" of 12-Step lore, but is more precisely defined, and has a sharper focus. Triggers, for example, suggest the possible future use of alcohol, so that idea is therefore addictive voice.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by JustARide
I only meant that there are those situations that are harder to deal with when new to sobriety.
and there are situations that are hard to deal with even after many years of not drinking. Sometimes life is hard. I hear what you are saying about difficulty in early sobriety, Just, I'm just saying that I don't think it needs to be that way. If I keep telling myself that it's so hard, just so damned hard, then it will be harder than it already is. Events in life need never be tied to the idea of using.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Quitter

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
AV is the Addictive Voice. In Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT), the AV is defined as "any thinking, imagery, or feeling that supports, or even suggests, the possible future use of alcohol or drugs, ever." It is more or less analogous to the "mental obsession" of 12-Step lore, but is more precisely defined, and has a sharper focus. Triggers, for example, suggest the possible future use of alcohol, so that idea is therefore addictive voice.
Oh okay. I had to look it up. Didn't realize it was a program. Sounds like a good prevention strategy if it helps a lot of people.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Quitter

Sometimes life is hard.
That's true!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us can forget just how hard it is in the beginning.

I don't mind the term 'triggers' - to me it was very much like a PTSD thing - certain situations did produce a visceral reaction in me - a blind enveloping panic, which I'd 'taught' myself could only be dealt with alcohol.

Of course I was wrong - and I learned to deal with those fears and panic in a different way - but that was the way I thought then.

It's easy to look backwards from the solution - and maybe even feel a little superior for doing so, but frankly - it's not a good look, guys.

D
Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

not superior here...calling things triggers actually triggers me lol see what I'm saying?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
instant

Triggers. I don't get physical urges these days. In the first few months in my recovery when I was very raw, it was clear to me that someone drinking in a movie got my AV going, and at that time brought on a physical reaction (even when "I" had no desire or intention of drinking).

Presumably the beast can salivate and pant like any other.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
instant

Thank you Pavlov
Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UpperbucksAAguy View Post
12 steps worked on a day-to-day basis make relapse virtually impossible
Simple program for complicated people--and I can complicate anything ---follow Upperbucks advice
Old 04-26-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a lot of us can forget just how hard it is in the beginning... It's easy to look backwards from the solution - and maybe even feel a little superior for doing so, but frankly - it's not a good look, guys.
This is true. I am aware of the sense of panic experienced by anyone who is contemplating quitting, though. It feels like you will die, and no doubt when I tell someone to quit, they probably feel like I'm telling them to jump off a bridge. The problem is, they can't look around the corner to see how things will look before they jump. It is a leap of faith, and fear will only delay it. Fear of desire is also the torque that drives addiction, and the idea that something can trigger you to get drunk only fuels that fear. It needs to go — post haste.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Quitter

A lot of people here are hung up on the word trigger. I guess that "no such thing as triggers" is a big part of the avrt prevention strategy that you guys use to stay sober?

I agree that no matter how strong the desire, it is the person who makes the decision.

But certain things do trigger the body to have a very real physical response, due to the very real effects of addiction.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Quitter

I just read the avrt crash course online. Interesting. I like the idea of the addictive voice and the beast metaphors. I also like the focus on personal responsibility.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustARide View Post
I just read the avrt crash course online. Interesting. I like the idea of the addictive voice and the beast metaphors. I also like the focus on personal responsibility.
I've always been taught that we do not have responsibility--this is a disease.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Not everyone believes addiction is a disease. Regardless, I believe anyone can recover.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Quitter

whatever works for you jojoba
Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

My trigger plan is simple:

1. Read & post on SR….and read, read, some more
2. Play the tape through to the end
3. Enjoy my sparkling water or seltzer with extra lime or lemon
4. Renew my commitment to not drinking every day
Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

relapse is what racers do. alcoholics have pre meditated drunks. if ya wanna call it a relapse, it ends with a drink.
my strategy is simple: trust God, clean house, help others.