Notices

White Knuckling

Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi everyone.....
Please remember there are many ways to find a sober happy future.
This Forum welcomes all members who are seeking their path.

To my fellow AA members....take off the halo's and remember....
"Love and tolerance is our code"....so says our BB.

BB quoted.First Edition
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I'm familiar with the expression within AA, as well as how it is interpreted through the lens of AVRT. If I had to synthesize a common denominator, I would sum up "white knuckling" with two words:

Tentative Abstinence
Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
When not drinking is what you're doing.

Maybe going to the gym and catching a movie once in a while, but mostly you're not drinking. And people should appreciate that and cut you some slack once in a while if you snap just a bit, because you're not drinking.

And it's 153 days now that you've been not drinking. And Summer is coming soon and in your mind's eye you're already there on the beach, not drinking. Sitting without a drink, down on the beach below that fun bar where you had a few and had a great time and nothing bad happened, but there's no use in going back because you're not drinking.

Tonight you're going to go home, lock the door and hope no one calls and wants to go out because you're not drinking.
Great post my friend! Boy, did that bring back some memories.......not fond ones, that's for sure. Boy do I remember those days. .....and by days I mean minutes because I don't think i ever lasted more than a few minutes picturing that stuff before my mind changed and I decided drinking didn't sound all that bad after all.

Hell, just reading that post.......I could put myself into those feelings and before I even finished your last statement I could hear the booze saying, "FCK THIS man.......let's go get a DRINK!!!" ...and yanno, for a millisecond, that made sense.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and thanks for the reminder that alcoholism, the patient SOB that it is, is alllllllways ready to make a move.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
When not drinking is what you're doing.

Maybe going to the gym and catching a movie once in a while, but mostly you're not drinking. And people should appreciate that and cut you some slack once in a while if you snap just a bit, because you're not drinking.

And it's 153 days now that you've been not drinking. And Summer is coming soon and in your mind's eye you're already there on the beach, not drinking. Sitting without a drink, down on the beach below that fun bar where you had a few and had a great time and nothing bad happened, but there's no use in going back because you're not drinking.

Tonight you're going to go home, lock the door and hope no one calls and wants to go out because you're not drinking.
Yep.

It hasn't been that bad for me -coming here has helped a good bit- but I do feel like I've spent the last 53 days doing a lot of water treading. Not that I haven't made some improvements; just not drinking makes me a lot nicer person. But I have been isolating myself a lot as I focus on not drinking. Gotta work on that.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Can some of you wonderful people please tell me what this term means to you?

Thanks in advance,
O
Hey hey English teacher :x

Like most useful phrases, it's morphed gently as different people and organisations have embraced it. It's a good one, cos it's a metaphor and an actual description - when we're in conflict, we clench our fists. It's interesting to a linguist to see which people have said that "it. means. this." when your post asked what is means to us as individuals...

To me, it's not a long-term state of existence cos I try to nip it in the bud. It's when cravings hit and I let them in. I get all grievy about never being able to drink again, furious that I can't drink right now, I pace the floor, cry and, yes, clench my fists to make those good ole white knuckles.

In the old days, that would lead to a drink and everything being peachy for about 4 hours.

Now, I:
ask for hugs and chocolate and for my H to tell me pull myself together
go for a run/bike ride/walk etc
get on SR
go to bed with a book

...depending on my mood.

So what does it mean to you?

xxx
Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
It means someone who is not reading the the Big Book every night.
Really do not believe this at all, sorry.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Some people may use the term pejoratively but that's not how I use it.
D
Definition of PEJORATIVE

: having negative connotations; especially: tending to disparage or belittle : depreciatory

— pe·jo·ra·tive·ly adverb

~
Had to look that one up Dee!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
Definition of PEJORATIVE

: having negative connotations; especially: tending to disparage or belittle : depreciatory

— pe·jo·ra·tive·ly adverb

~
Had to look that one up Dee!
Oh, I love that you did this! Will you come talk to my classes? You've just made an English teacher so happy
Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Thank you so much for all your responses.

Yes, I thought that this term may be different for everyone which is why I narrowed my question to what it means to you, as an individual.

A lot of your interpretations make a lot of sense to me.

I have to try to ingest more coffee and get to work but will be back--Friday--yipee! It has already crossed my mind this morning that I'll be spending another Friday without wine to soothe my troubled mind. (day 25)

Wishing everyone a fabulous day and thanks to those who took time to respond!

See ya soon!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
I'll be spending another Friday without wine to soothe my troubled mind. (day 25)
Nah, you don't need it. You got us!

xxx
Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I always thought that it was basically untreated alcoholism.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Today is a Gift

It's when we obsess about alcohol and ourselves and the "fight" to stay sober.

When we get out of our heads and obsession of self our focus goes off of drinking and onto helping others and being a part of life instead of being life.

When I was white knuckling, it was because I still wanted to drink and had to fight it. Turn towards harmony with life and seeing what you can pack into the stream of life. Try to spend time thinking what you can do for others first and do it instead of fighting the urge to drink.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Heathen

Changing my beverage choice and nothing else.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I've heard this term a lot also. Not really sure what it means.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The question was what does it mean to YOU?

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Really do not believe this at all, sorry.
The question was what does it mean to YOU? Not everyone else or all possibilities. So, this is what it means to him/her, on their path of recovery.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by keepfinding2 View Post
I've heard this term a lot also. Not really sure what it means.
As most of the responses have been......basically (imo) it's holding onto sobriety so tightly your fingers don't get circulation (picture clasping the steering wheel in a car tooooo tightly). This method works.....but usually just for a while. Sooner or later, we need to change (or be changed) from the person we used to act like to a new person.

When you hear "they're white-knuckling it" typically what that means is the assumption is being made that the person isn't changing but is trying to hold onto sobriety as best they can before it gets ripped from their grasp.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ursula745 View Post
The question was what does it mean to YOU? Not everyone else or all possibilities. So, this is what it means to him/her, on their path of recovery.
because the poster implied "someone" that's why I answered in this way.

Think I posted earlier in the thread what it meant to me, thanks !
Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

For me it is a state of agitation.

It's being restless, irritable and discontent like Dr. Silkworth explains.

White knuckling is the state of angst (anxiety, fear) when I can't take a drink, but part of me wants a drink.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Daily struggle.
When you see the light of it(alcohol) for what it really is(poison) this struggle becomes easy and eventually ends.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
So it goes

I think Still has it there. There are a lot of new phrases I have come across here Ophelia, Dry drunk, pink cloud for two. People are clever, they mould and expand language to describe their feelings, and those associated with getting sober are another reason to expand the language. I like that
BP
x