Notices

My Vicious Cycle

Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post My Vicious Cycle

I found this thread on here that is almost exactly like me.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-hungover.html

I am 28, I have never had a DUI , never done something Horrible when drunk, but mainly want to quit because I know it runs in my family and I realize I cant drink without getting drunk... I was on day 4 yesterday... I know that sounds awful but its good for me... and I have been eating right , exercising... not spending money... and last night while I was watching the flyers game (great game if you missed it) I wanted beer like a vampire wanted blood and I happened to have beer from last week in the fridge... I housed probally 12 beers... and I am so disappointed in myself right now... I feel like by the fourth day my brain tells me I don't have a problem...

I love the people on this forum, your all very helpful... does anyone know what i am talking about?

Matt
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Hey no one said you can't quit while your ahead. I know one reason that I quit was just like you said I know it runs in the family and I know where that addiction would have led if I continued with it. I am holding on to that thought to make sure that I never change my mind about it. I know how the four days off and then back on cycle goes as when I first came here that is what I did for months. If you still want it its still out there and attainable, and somewhere in this forum someone has said exactly what you need to hear to make it click. Keep reading and learning and hopefully like it did for me you will learn what you need to stop and stay that way.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you are talking about. For me, I know I cannot keep anything in the house..Waayyy too easy.

Pick yourself up, dust off, and keep going.

Jim
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did that dance for years. Though in retrospect I never really attempted to quit. I'd say, 'I'm never doing that again' and by the second day at the latest I'd get itchy and start drinking again. More like hangover recovery than giving up. I think making the decision and sticking to it is the hardest bit (but also really easy and freeing in a way). I was like you too, nothing terrible consequences wise, except a few health problems but I don't think that really matters. I wanted to stop drinking not long after I started! I'm struggling to figure out why I carried on...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I too lived that life for at least 20 yrs. I remember telling my husband about it and him saying, look, if you want to quit, we have to get all the booze out of the house. I fought it for so long - I didn't want the booze out of the house!!!

Then when I finally got to that point of "I've had it!" and decided to quit, I told my husband. I guess I wanted the accountability factor. He removed all of the booze from our house when I wasn't around (at my instruction). It was really only the first step but a big one.

I didn't realize how impossible it was for me, having it in the house. I'd drink without knowing I was drinking. Head straight to the bottle within minutes of getting home. No matter too, even if I was tired, or if I was already drunk from happy hour out, or even if I had come home from the gym! And once I had it in me there was no looking back. Crazy.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I meant to add that I never had anything bad happen to me. I have a very successful career, a house, a husband, degrees. Didn't matter. I "thought" my way through my alcoholism. It's not like I started there either, I progressively got that way.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input! Okay so when I get home I should bag up all my boos and give it to my parents or something?

Another weird question... excluding last night .... for the 4 nights prior I would wake up soaked in sweat... I am not sure if its because of my awful nightmares or if its because im drinking about 12 perrier a night ( helps the boos cravings) but when I go to bed tonight sober I will not sweat... it will be friday night that I start sweating... if it was boos related wouldnt I be sweating tonight?

Matt
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post
Thanks for all the input! Okay so when I get home I should bag up all my boos and give it to my parents or something?

Another weird question... excluding last night .... for the 4 nights prior I would wake up soaked in sweat... I am not sure if its because of my awful nightmares or if its because im drinking about 12 perrier a night ( helps the boos cravings) but when I go to bed tonight sober I will not sweat... it will be friday night that I start sweating... if it was boos related wouldnt I be sweating tonight?

Matt
Do you live alone? If so, then yes, bag it yourself. Or pour it out. If you live with someone ask them. It was a lot easier for me to have my husband to do it.

I am a little over 3 mos sober and my body went thru all kinds of weirdness. I think it just has to do with it adjusting and purging alcohol remnants. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post

Matt
The sweating is withdrawals. If you're concerned speak to a doc about it. I had night sweats for about a week and a half and was surprised when they stopped, I thought I was in it for the long haul. Are you thinking of doing anything else to help with cravings etc?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would definitely not keep booze in the house if there's a part of you that doesn't want to quit...and yeah - the sweating thing is withdrawals.

D
Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Soooo....if you want to quit and you keep drinking anyway....
when that happened to me....that is when I was an active alcoholic.

There is no reason for anyone to drink a toxic liquid...