Notices

i only want to quit drinking when im hungover

Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i only want to quit drinking when im hungover

pretty much the only time i want to quit drinking is when im hungover and i feel like death and when thinking about all the stupid things i said and did last night.

then i sober up for a few days, you know, ive been working out, eating good, working long hours at work, feeling healthy and happy again, and i tell myself 'just a few ive earned it' and a few of course turns into many and i drink myself into a coma..

then the next day i tell myself 'never again'

it's a vicious cycle, ive been doing this for 10 years........
Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the club BC!!! Crazy ain't it?

Comes a time in everyones life when you become aware of the truth and you act accordingly. No more delusions and rationalizations. No more listening to the lies from the AV in your head.

Wanting sobriety and achieving sobriety are two different things...when it gets tough you have to dig deep, acknowledge the voice for what it is, recognize the lie and move past it.

Binge drinking takes such a terrible toll on the mind and body...keep reaching out...you can do this!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR BCkid. I did that for many years too, the cycle. Drink, drunk, blackout, passout, wake up, guilt, shame, embarrassment, feeling crappy, promise self that is it for the insanity, promises self to quit, eat, drink water, sleep, feel better, and then, yepper----we Drink, drunk, blackout, passout, wake up, guilt, shame, embarrassment, feeling crappy, promise self that is it for the insanity, promises self to quit, eat, drink water, sleep, feel better

Viscious cycle. I did that for many years, until my life became unmanageble. I started to lose my mind along with it. I finally hit my bottom and that is when I found detox, rehab, and gratefully found AA and this forum.

Your not alone with this cycling I think most of us have been there. Acknowledging you have a problem is the first step. When you are really ready and want to stop the insanity and be willing to do anything to stop it you will. Keep posting here, there is alot of support, strength and hope here. You will see that we all have been in your shoes. This could be the first day of the rest of your life

We are here for you!!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Welcome, BC.

I, too, have been stuck in that cycle. It's easiest to swear it off when we feel like crap. Once we get past that initial rough patch, though, all bets are off and our addiction starts trying to take over again.

Pam is spot on. Recognizing the cycle is a good first step. Do you want to break the cycle? It can be done, and the people at SR will definitely be a huge help and source of support, but you will have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. TRULY WANT IT, deep down. That's the part that took a while to kick in for me.

Keep reading and keep posting.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Join the club bro, I've been in the same rut myself for as long as I remember. My problem is that I'd start to feel healthy and strong and by Friday at lunch I was off to the liquor store during my lunch break.

I'd quickly finish off a 1/2 pint on the way back to work and sure I'd enjoy the rest of my day and well on my way to getting smashed that day and usually the rest of the weekend.

Once Monday rolled around, I was depressed, felt like ****, messed up cause I didn't see my daughter when I could have over the weekend and would try to get healthy again. (which I would in a few days, then the whole routine would start over)

If your close friends drink, it's tough as hell especially when your in the routine of hanging out with them on the weekend.

Anyways, Im on my 7th day clean, working out regularly every day and pray to God I can keep it up.

Good Luck Bro
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Well.. STOP IT!

J/K, I can relate too. I can just drink 2-3 beers a day for extended periods of time and think I'm doing great, and then some emotional trauma will send me into a tail spin and I'll keep going, black out, keep drinking and be hungover for 2-3 days. It's very painful, emotionally and physically.

Welcome to SR.

DK
Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I used to do that. Except it didn't take me a few days to change my mind.

I would be driving to work, still drunk from the night before, cursing myself.

And by 3 that same afternoon, I was back at the liquor store again.

The only way I could break that cycle was by checking myself into treatment (inpatient). Nothing else I tried worked.

I know of others who didn't necessarily have to go to inpatient rehab, but that's all that would work for me.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The only way I stopped the vicious cycle you describe was total abstinence one day at a time. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, my blackouts became horrendous and I didn't enjoy vodka induced hallucinations.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

Hello All Happy Tuesday,

I also used to do the same thing for years, mine continued to the point where I decided to cut out the hangover part and just stay drunk. My disease progressed to the point where I would just drink all the time. Now I know this may sound crazy to some, however right on the mark with others. I never in wildest dreams or drunks thought I would be the guy waking up at 3 am and taking some heavy slugs out of the vodka bottle(s) in the freezer to get back to sleep, only to wake up at 5 30 and pour myself 5 oz, of Vodka over ice to start the day like it was normal. So yes we all understand and it took me in that cycle for months to realize what was needed. I used to use a saying that was as simple as actually reading the directions on a shampoo bottle "lather, rinse, repeat" go figure it is really just that simple. One thing I have learned as I stay sober longer and continue to go to meetings and after care group, that not all of us are finding such low bottoms before they seek help, maybe you have a chance to be one of those people.

LOVE JT
Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dealt with that misery for years, the hangovers will only get worse along with the withdrawls, a true coma is not out of the question. Get the help you need before it is to late..

Take care,
John
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This could be me too man. I'm a horrifyingly solid binger myself (for about 15 years). I'm on my 2nd day of quitting this cycle, it's not worth it. And man do I ever know what you mean about regaining your strength and losing momentum on quitting. I'm actually sort of worried about how hard the pull will be after I am fully healthy again. I think staying on here and using the other tools like counseling, etc. will help to be constantly reminded that even though we feel better, the problem hasn't gone away.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did that dance too. I am so greatful that I have a program of recovery today. I don't ever have to do that again.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheBCKid View Post
it's a vicious cycle, ive been doing this for 10 years........

I did it for twenty.

I got to the point where i was hung over so many times I just got sick and tired and fed up of being sick and hung over all the time.

I can never forget that feeling. Those awful feelings are still so fresh in my brain I wake up sometimes in the morning and I feel like i am reliving it.

I am so grateful I no longer have to spend the first twenty minutes of my day dry heaving into the toilet or gulping down rum laced coffee to get my body to stop shaking. Gawd. Just thinking about it makes me sick.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

BC kid, I know the feeling of "cashing in my health chips" as my old buddies called it. Pretty soon I was cashing them in every night and only eating once a day if that. You don't have to wait untill you feel regretful and hungover every day to make a change.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies guys.

it's nice to be able to talk to other people whom are going through the same thing as me.

im 8 days into sobriety and am at the point where im very healthy and feeling great. this is also the time when im in great danger of being triggered and breaking down and buying booze. i went to the gym and played hockey today and then i went to the grocery store and had been debating the whole time in my mind as to whether or not I was going to buy beer, i really craved it. after i put the groceries in the car i literally stood outside my car for a few minutes and was talking to myself, trying to decide if i was going to walk over the liquor store or not. thankfully i thought of this forum and the words ive read, i got in the car and drove home.

I won the battle against my booze demons for today, i hope.

i really want to wake up tomorrow morning sober. it is such a great feeling to wake up in the morning feeling healthy and happy ready to take on the day.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just hold onto that feeling you get in the morning and think that it can be this way EVERYDAY! Why should you have to have one of those terrible hungover moments? I do that. I will wake up and take a moment to realize how good I feel and smile to myself. And how great is it also to remember the night before as well, while you are sitting there feeling soooo fabulous!