Notices

My Big Book Question

Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Big Book Question

ok soo ive been reading the big book so far so good ..there's a part in i think it was chapter 6 or 7 where it talks about gods work and humbly stepping aside to let him take over where .Alcohol used to take control. i get that ,the thing that got me was that it talks about god will lead you down his path ..i started thinking about my goals ans aspirations for life .i want to be a professional actor its what im currently working towards .

According this Does that mean i should give up those goals and aspirations ? i want to recover and be sober and all that.but i do have plans for myself and life .its the main reason i decided to quit i want my life back .im a goal orientated type person i realize that living the way i used to live was a killing and wasting my talents or in this case "God given talents " could someone maybe shed light on this hiccup for me ?...Also i was wondering what it meant by talking about humbly stepping aside and letting "god" take over ???
Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

My read on this is that it is important to stay within the guidelines of what the God of YOUR understanding would want you to do. I think sometimes people get all hung up on the phrase “turn your will and your life over” to God. IMHO it’s impossible. You are the one who has absolute final word over what you do (unless you literally have a gun to your head or you're psychotic). Thats the way God set things up. The question is, do you run your life according to your guidelines or via a higher set of principles emanating from a power greater than yourself.

If you told me that you had incredible skills as a biomedical researcher. That you were close to a breakthrough for a cure for to terrible disease. That you were probably the only person who could complete the research in a timely manner. Then, next, you told me that you had a desire to be an actor. That you had little chance of success but you thought it would be a lot of fun…… I’d tell you to go and pray about it….. then listen for an answer.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

God, whomever and whatever that means for you, will get you a lot further down the road to your dreams of acting than alcohol will.

God, as I understand him, helps us with the confidence and willingness to be all we can be.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ressurectJ View Post
ok soo ive been reading the big book so far so good ..there's a part in i think it was chapter 6 or 7 where it talks about gods work and humbly stepping aside to let him take over where .Alcohol used to take control. i get that ,the thing that got me was that it talks about god will lead you down his path ..i started thinking about my goals ans aspirations for life .i want to be a professional actor its what im currently working towards .

According this Does that mean i should give up those goals and aspirations ? i want to recover and be sober and all that.but i do have plans for myself and life .its the main reason i decided to quit i want my life back .im a goal orientated type person i realize that living the way i used to live was a killing and wasting my talents or in this case "God given talents " could someone maybe shed light on this hiccup for me ?...Also i was wondering what it meant by talking about humbly stepping aside and letting "god" take over ???
This is something that really can't be "explained" because my interpretation would likely be different from everyone else's..... and it is a work in progress, it keeps changing. It has to be experienced by the individual as we grow ...

I suggest you go to AA meetings and find a Home Group and a sponsor. Delve into the Big Book with your sponsor and your group. If after a period of time you see no benefit to the work you have been doing, you can have your life back as you know it now in a heartbeat.

Besides, where better to hone your craft than in a room full of the best "actors" (alcoholics) alive !!

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I am under the care of a power greater than me. I have free will.

Am I nice to people? Do I speak calmly and rationally? Do I try to be useful and helpful? Are my motives clear to myself? How can I be all that I can be where I am able to use my talents? Do I refrain from gossip and complaints? Do I go with the flow of life no matter what is thrown at me? It's spirituality at it's finest (written in a simple way).

These are things I can do while still seeking to get back into my very own classroom, where my talents are.

I suggest you work with a sponsor and be guided through those steps so you have a better understanding of the principles involved in this spiritual program of recovery.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read through the Big Book with a sponsor. We met every week and read the book outloud till we were through. It was a great way to explore the kind of question you are asking.

I dont think it means to give up your goals and aspirations, but to give up selfish or harmful (to yourself or others) behaviours by asking your higher power to direct your actions, words and thoughts.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ressurectJ View Post
Not at all. We keep our goals, we just let go of our expectations. It is when we demand outcomes that we get in trouble. Go to all the auditions you want, just leave it up to god what comes from it.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Assuming you believe in the typical Christian God (just betting on the averages here....not trying to imply anything), it could be said that God gave you the ability to have goals and ambitions. So I don't think a loving God would give you something with the intention of taking it away.

For me, that section references me being willing to strive for something but to be willing to set the results of that striving in God's hands.

Before, I'd try to "win" at any cost - to myself or to anyone with/around me. I was all about results, missed the journey and hurt a lot of ppl along the way. I still work towards lots of stuff......I'm just a little more watchful to see if I'm fighting a losing battle and willing to admit that an all knowing God of MY understanding certainly knows what I need more than I do. I have a pretty good handle on what I want.....but what I need has been 180* out of phase with what I wanted. Being willing to set those wants down, grab some faith, and go off in a different direction..... that doesn't necessarily mean I WILL have to.