Notices

Xanax

Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what your thoughts on this are.

I've been sober for 5 weeks (yeah!). I have a prescription for Xanax for occasional anxiety issues. A few months ago I was taking .25-.5mg every few days but pretty much stopped even before I decided to get sober. I had an anxiety episode (who is that crazy man walking down the street ticking? me!) the other day and took .25mg, which calmed me down but in a way I felt like I was cheating on my sobriety. I had made the decision to be very careful about taking xanax in the early days of sobriety because I didn't want to displace my desire to drink onto something else. Have you guys had any experience with this? What are your thoughts and/or stories?

xGonzo

p.s. For those of you who haven't used Xanax, just to point out, .25mg is a very small dose, the smallest available actually and the effects are quite mild.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We can not give medical advice....please contact your doctor

Thanks for following our SR Rule....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nowhere am I asking for medical advice. I'm just curious to hear if anybody had issues of displacement when they quit drinking. The replacement "drug" of choice could be Xanax, coffee or Battlestar Gallactica on DVD. That's the issue that interests me.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Gonzo,

Yeah, if you have an addictive personality you can trade one addiction for another. I did. Some of the addictions were even healthy (marathon running- training 80 miles a week for years), but some not so much. Be thoughtful - I know alcoholics/drug abusers addicted to the craziest stuff! (I am not saying you are addicted to xanax.) Take care.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're worried about cross addiction with the Xanax Gonzo the very best thing to do is to speak with your prescribing Dr about it - get some professional advice specifically targeted to your situation

D
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi buddy,

I was listening to a speaker from AA the other week and his assertion interested me. He talked about "not being fooled" by folks who say they are sober for X amount of time if they are using a different *illicit* substance. This was meaningful for me when I cross referenced it with the concept of surrender--for me, I need to "give up" all artificial things that would get me high, and accept this reality, if I am truly to call myself in recovery. Your post reminded me of this gents insightful statement.

(Illicit, by the way, means without or beyond the guidance of an authorized medical doctor :-)

happy St. Patrick's day!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think that taking medication, as prescribed by a doctor who you are honest with about your past substance abuse, is "cheating" on sobriety. I can't take it, because, personally, I would abuse it on its own or worry about a relapse with alcohol.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree that if you are taking them as prescribed and not abusing them in any way, you should be fine. I have always been super paranoid when I have been prescribed ativan or xanax in the past just cuz I know how horrible being addicted to them can be. But they have also been life savers when I feel like I am losing my mind. I feel no high on them, so thats good.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey hun how's sunny Paris? Good to hear your voice...

It can get pretty stressful in the big ciry - have you thought about getting out into the sticks for a bit? I frickin hate the countryside, but some people swear by it

...no medical advice here, but as a beach bum to the core, runnin through me like a stick of Brighton rock (hey, billy...) I can recommend stuff like yoga, pilates and meditation for anxiety. I wanted to get away from the idea that I had to take something from the outside - the solution to what was happening to me had to come from IN me, you know?

I mean, the irony of that coming from someone who self-medicated with booze and coke FOR FIFTEEN YEARS is just achingly laughable but doesn't change the fact that it's probably true. Hippy bllocks, but true, ha.

Tai chi is amazing. Teaches you to know where your body is at all times. And your mind lives in your body, right?

Still xxx
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NAIOU

I had a scrip for Xanax 1mg. twice a day as needed. I took it twice a day for 4 years. What I found out was to take Xanax when I needed to take it not 2 times a day. I detoxed from Xanax cold turkey after 4 years of use. It was no cake walk. It took me over a month to recover from the detox. Hope this helps. Love and Respect. Logo
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe your doctor could suggest an alternative that has less potential for addiction? (not meant to be medical advice or anything).
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's fair to say that almost every recovering alcoholic experiences extreme anxiety in the early stages. Talk to your doctor and if xanax is prescribed, take it. Would you not take medication for heart disease or diabetes if it was required? If you are worried about replacing one addiction with another, talk to your doctor about that too.

I take xanax. I have never taken it more than once a day, sometimes I might go for a month without using it, other times I might take it a few days in a row if I'm very anxious. I also take other psychiatric medication as prescribed by a doctor. If anyone says that means I'm not sober I'd laugh in their faces. Medically prescribed medication, taken as prescribed, is perfectly appropriate.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bab

I agree with Tiger....I take .5 of Xanax everyday and have for about 5 years. If it is prescribed and taken as directed you will be fine. I don't consider myself not being sober because I take xanax. Now if I were to double the dosage and take more and more then that is when it becomes a problem.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GonzoTaxi View Post
Hey guys,

I'm wondering what your thoughts on this are.

I've been sober for 5 weeks (yeah!). I have a prescription for Xanax for occasional anxiety issues. A few months ago I was taking .25-.5mg every few days but pretty much stopped even before I decided to get sober. I had an anxiety episode (who is that crazy man walking down the street ticking? me!) the other day and took .25mg, which calmed me down but in a way I felt like I was cheating on my sobriety. I had made the decision to be very careful about taking xanax in the early days of sobriety because I didn't want to displace my desire to drink onto something else. Have you guys had any experience with this? What are your thoughts and/or stories?

xGonzo

p.s. For those of you who haven't used Xanax, just to point out, .25mg is a very small dose, the smallest available actually and the effects are quite mild.
I take 1 mlg and suppose to be 3 times a day, but lately that has not been enough and I can't deal with the drama in my life without it any more. I'm worn out.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your dosage isn't even close, but on an intervention they had an individual who was taking only prescribed medications...Methadone and Xanax and was basically not able to function on them. He was using the excuse that he wasn't abusing them as he was taking them only as prescribed. Family got him into intervention.
Again, I am just pointing out that it is all relative and a person has to work closely and honestly with his professionals if he wants help from professionals.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I need to take anti-anxiety medication because of the severe damage I have done to my central nervous system. All the natural methods did not work for my extreme anxiety. Doc knows I'm in recovery but still gives me a limited supply.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've always been told (even by Physicians) that Benzo's are Alcohol in pill form. I personally became addicted about a year after I stopped drinking. I recently got off them completely. Just throwing this out there...I'm no professional. Just sharing my experience. Congrats on 5 weeks. That's a long time!!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dee and I have removed more posts from this thread.
Time to close it for discussion.

Please consult your doctor about any meds....thanks!