Notices

Insidious Triggers

Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

In my early days of sobriety I carefully avoided activities that I associated with drinking: playing guitar, visiting my mother, doing housework (seriously), going to restaurants....But tentatively I would dip my toes in the water, and now I can do these things without thinking much about booze. It was almost like I had to "reclaim" them as my sober self so that I could disassociate them from alcohol.

But now I've discovered a pretty strong pull from this AWESOME WEATHER we've been having the past week or so. This warm weather makes me think of beer, sitting on patios and drinking, warm summer nights getting my buzz on downtown....

Time to reclaim it!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
JEANS

Originally Posted by midgetcop View Post

But now I've discovered a pretty strong pull from this AWESOME WEATHER we've been having the past week or so. This warm weather makes me think of beer, sitting on patios and drinking, warm summer nights getting my buzz on downtown....

Time to reclaim it!
I totally agree with this. It's getting sunny where I live and the mental cravings are coming back with a vengance. I'm determined to enjoy the summer sober though
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

making phone calls to family and friends, I use to start off alot of conversations sober but by the end I was usually too smashed to even remember what we were talking about. Now I notice when I think about ringing certain people I get an instant sinking gut feeling and thoughts of drinking return. I can feel my Beast squirm. I know there are certain triggers that wake my beast, but he is slowly getting the picture, that I never drink and I will never change my mind.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I find the change of seasons, holidays, events, etc...for example St. Patricks Day. Everyone around me was imbibing, but I stayed on course. I might be missing out on several hours of "fun", but the next day I wake up feeling great and ready for the day...I am not waking up feeling terrible and wishing I never drank the night before...I just don't miss that rat race.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Biggest trigger yet was a call from a friend who was enjoying this summer weather sitting on his back porch with a just-opened 24 of beer. That one cut pretty deep....until he texted me in the morning about how sick and hungover he was

Hehehe...