Notices

72 hours. Having a panic attack. Help?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

72 hours. Having a panic attack. Help?

Hey guys, I'm just over 72 hours sober and I'm having a panic attack right now. I feel like I'm going to throw up, my heart is racing, cold but sweaty and my mind is racing. I am so scared. I know this is a panic attack but knowing that doesn't help.

Will someone please just tell me it will get better? I need someone to tell me it will be ok soon.
ugh.

sorry
CD
Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will be OK - I'm sorry you're having one - they're not fun - but it will pass

What used to really help me was focusing on the fact that I am not my feelings...
this site was useful too:

Calm Clinic

Hope you feel better soon!
D
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Breathe...really, it helps a lot. When you panic, your breathing becomes very shallow and that causes your body to continue to react. Breathe very deeply three times in a row and your heart rate will begin to calm.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A brisk walk if you are up to it, or alternating cold and hot showers helped me.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys, seriously. I tried the breathing and it helped me. I think I was starting to hyperventilate and was getting even dizzier than I already was.

Whew! This is tough. But I am sober right now. I`ve got my 3 days and still going.

Thank you so much for caring

CD
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I sometimes find a distraction like a warm bath soothes me. Great on your 3 days... keep it up!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

drink water
have you eaten any fruit or vegetables lately? find some and munch slowly
think very positive thoughts
focus on slowly breathing
meditating

I've had these, usually when really dehydrated. you may want to see your doctor for this. it could also be that it's the height of your withdrawal.

I'm not a doctor, just thought I could sift through those links since I am just about to bake some goodies for my home group tomorrow.

feel better,

Last edited by CarolD; 03-06-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: By request
Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Zee

You may look silly but say this aloud because.
1. You know you are having a panic attack!
2. You know why you are having a panic attack!
3. You know it isn't life threatening! Its adrenalin, thats all.
"You will not take hold of me because Im stronger than you and I have better things to do with my time than sit through another one of you! - Its boring me now and I want a cup of tea!!"
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try some Camomile Tea it works wonders!! Skip the sugar and squeeze a lemon into it. It will help friend!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

CD, are you going to AA meetings?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't do deep breaths during a panic attack; causes a head rush and hyperventilation. I focus on slow shallow breaths and inviting the panic to stay. Sounds weird but anxiety is fueled by resistance, and accepting it causes the emotion to lose intensity.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Oof I had a panic attack once -- scariest thing that's ever happened to me!

Perhaps I should point out that if you are having panic attacks, racing heart or other signs of extreme discomfort in the first several days of sobriety please don't hesitate to go to the ER -- alcohol withdrawal can kill.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
Oof I had a panic attack once -- scariest thing that's ever happened to me!

Perhaps I should point out that if you are having panic attacks, racing heart or other signs of extreme discomfort in the first several days of sobriety please don't hesitate to go to the ER -- alcohol withdrawal can kill.
+1. Not to scare you but depending on how much you were drinking you may wanna talk to your doctor about Getting Meds. DT's have killed people, not trying to scare you but its a fact and on this forum and in AA that fact gets overlooked a lot. See your doctor please. Hope ya feel better and Congrats on 3 days!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went though pretty much the same thing 3 days in. For me it just kept getting worse though and I listened to the folks on here and went to the ER. If you continue to feel this way, get yourself to the doc. Withdrawals are nothing to be trifled with.

I hope you start feeling better and stay strong.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Panic attacks can be terrifying. But you can get out of them by doing slow, shallow breathing. It takes about 10 minutes to work, which can feel like a year, but you should gradually calm down.
However, as other people have said, if it continues get yourself to a doctor or hospital. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I read all these suggestions and I feel pretty blessed to have so many people that care.

I went to a meeting yesterday, will go to one today. And stay sober today. I've got a full day 4 in my sights. The panic attack was horrific but this site got me through. I will achieve a full day 4. One hour at a time!!

One thing is clear: I've gone through withdrawal many times, but this time is so much worse than any other time. Seems like in the past, each withdrawal would be bad and each got worse but only a little bit. During this relapse I seem to have taken a giant leap, mentally and physically and it has made this withdrawal so scary. I'm tempted to think that the fear of going through this again, coupled with going to meetings will make this time be THE TIME that I quit. But I know better. For now, for today I will think about today. Go to a meeting. And probably hit this site a few times.

You guys are awesome. ALL of you, no matter how long you've been sober, even if its just today, I am so glad this community exists.

OK, leaving the house for the first time. To work. I'm scared about passing all those stores on the way home, but I've got my phone.

CD
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there!!! Praying for you!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self Recovered with AVRT

Panic Attacks...

Been dealing with them all my life, and I am no kid.

The longer you are off substance use, the more you will be able to deal with them. After you off using drugs/alcohol for at least 4 weeks, you might really benefit by seeing a psychologist.

Panic attacks are very common in the human population, and can be dealt with readily with information about the way your mind works.

But first, you gotta stop using. Only then can you address the issue. Keep up the good work.

Signed,
Fellow Panic Attacker

(Panic attacks suck, but you can overcome them)

The really good news is that panic attacks are very common, and the way to overcome them is very well documented. This issue can be managed and controlled. You are not alone. I used to have panic attacks all the time. But, I would say that knowledge about them is very helpful. You can do the research yourself at your local library (look for the latest edition of the DSM). Probably the safest and easiest way to overcome this is to see a good psychologist. As I understand it, it usually only takes several sessions to get a grip on this.

My experience does not match your's, so please do not take my words as medical advice. I have to add that disclaimer. But, I have been there.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And check out the chat here if/when you can that has always helped me through some rough spots.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just my two cents but what helped me when I had them was knowing that they can't hurt you. Yeah the sensations suck but you're in no real physical danger.

Reminding myself of that in the midst of one helped me endure them more easily.