Notices

I went to a meeting

Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

I went to a meeting

I don't know what to call this place. Maybe a rehab daycare? It's a few addicts throw into a room to talk for three hours, three times a week.

And I liked it. I felt no judgement about my Tanguery habit, nobody tried to top my drinking habits because they had different demons. The therapist asked questions that made us all think and respond differently. Therefore, I learned.

They did talk about the serenity prayer, which what addict can't love?The therapist did ask me if I'd been to a rational recovery class He also said I was a manipulator, but I already admitted that here! sheesh!

The part that helped me the most going to the meeting was getting out of mommy mode. Most days, I feel trapped in the house caring for baby. I don't care much about myself. My uniform has been stretchy pains and tee shirts. This morning, I pulled out my jeans an sweater, put on makeup left the baby sat a sitters for the first time. I need some time for ME. Time to see, talk, laugh, cry that people who struggle like lil ole me.

And I no longer feel guilty doing it.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome...It's nice being around people like yourself...That aren't plastered...
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad it was good for you vichloe
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did they start the meeting with the serenity prayer...Or talk about it?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Way awesome, vichloe. Good to hear you're out and about from the house and enjoying being around others. What a great experience for you as you strengthen and work your early sobriety.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

No, not starting or ending. Was in mid discussing. About accepting thing we cannot change.We don't talk about religon maybe a reference or two about a "step". The therapists asks a question and we respond if we want. And it eventually turns totally off topic and funny!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In AA our group starts with that prayer...But we don't talk about religon either...It's good you got something out of it...That's cool..
Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Yeah. I signed up 10 days ago but didn't wanna tell. If I chickened out or if I really hated it, I'd hate to tell that story. I wanted to make sure it was right for me. I feel like the sunshine is pulling my spine straighter! A month ago, the sunshine was a devil in my bleary eyes.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vichloe View Post
Yeah. I signed up 10 days ago but didn't wanna tell. If I chickened out or if I really hated it, I'd hate to tell that story. I wanted to make sure it was right for me. I feel like the sunshine is pulling my spine straighter! A month ago, the sunshine was a devil in my bleary eyes.
LOL....That's great...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Isn't it a great feeling to be in a group of people that "get" you

Glad to hear that you have found some face to face support.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you...

I don't know what it was either...it was definately not AA....but
please use the local support.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What kind of meeting was this? Group therapy? Did you have to pay? If so how much?

IMHO, its all worth it if it'll keep you sober, I wish I knew of meetings like this.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
What kind of meeting was this? Group therapy? Did you have to pay? If so how much?

IMHO, its all worth it if it'll keep you sober, I wish I knew of meetings like this.
I guess you'd call it an out patient rehab. Yes, it costs money because a therapist leads the group. Then you have an appointment with a counselor bi weekly and a psychiatrist monthly. I even have homework after each meeting.

It may seem extreme to some, but I have other issues I need to deal with besides drinking, PTSD and anxiety. And I am very serious about mantaining my sobriety so I need intensive therapy to get off on the right foot.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Just to think about, we often get "off topic" (a form of manipulation) because we don't want to discuss ourselves (yes, I've been to several group meetings in various recovery venues). After all is said and done, we can then talk about how much money we spent and how no one really "got anything" out of it, how the counselor(s) weren't good, or the doctor didn't do "anything." Be careful!

Glad you went and worked with the group!!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

good for you, vichloe! It sounds like a serious program. I love the thought about the sunshine.