Notices

Xanax and withdrawal.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax and withdrawal.

Just new to these forums and I have a question regarding takling Xanax to take away the anxiety of alcohol withdrawal. I had been given Valium to take the anxiety away but have only been given 12 tablets at 5mg. But I do have a box of xanax. I was told that it would be better to reach for a valium or even half one to take the edge off. But I also have Xanax. Im not feeling anything from the tablet I took this morning (only 1hr ago) but they are 250mg tablets. Any advise?. (Only on day 2 sober)
Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't give you medical advice here Kanda.

If the medicine you've been prescribed for withdrawal anxiety isn't working for you, you need to speak with your doctor.

I really encourage you not to get into self medication - especially with benzos, like xanax.
D
Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's the same thing!!! A drug is a drug is a drug. These are addictive drugs. My drug of choice was alcohol. Have you seen a doctor who understands addiction? In Whitney Houston's room they found Xanax, Valium and alcohol.

Can you go to a rehab?
Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im not a dr and it is preferible that you get a professional opinion, im currently trying to get off Xanax and would never recommend it to anyone thats about to take it. The withdraw symptoms are Hell!! I cannot relate to alcohol withdraw but from what ive read its somewhat similar. Good luck and keep us posted. Feels good to know someone listens and cares, God bless and stay sober
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

As you and some other members are new to SR....this is from our
posting Policy and Rules. It is mandatory for all of us....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Posts have been removed because of the above rule.
This thread is closed.

Last edited by CarolD; 03-06-2012 at 07:55 PM.