Notices

Brand new to the site

Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

You see TU, one thing I do know about myself is I am a terrible "reader". Its not "buying the book" or lack there of. At this point, its not even a lack of commitment to my sobriety. I simply find it easier to read online. I read thread after thread last night on here, read some of the articles and links you sent me. I'm not avoiding purchasing the literature, I'm just accessing it in a way that better suits me. At least for now. Dont take this as procrastination for recovery. More as, just not the way I wish to obtain the info.

I've gotten more outta of reading your posts, and others, and looking at the material you sent me in the past 24 hours than I have ever seen in my lifetime regarding this stuff. I hope you understand.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by aggieland View Post
I've gotten more outta of reading your posts, and others, and looking at the material you sent me in the past 24 hours than I have ever seen in my lifetime regarding this stuff. I hope you understand.
It's your choice, Aggie, and you can do as you wish. It is your life in the balance, not mine, and I am just words on a screen. Just know that while I can help clarify certain things, I can't possibly re-hash all the material that is covered in the book. Nor would I ever want to do so.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I wouldnt expect you to. Please know that I appreciate your support and shareing of the links.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Pretty good day. Had a nice constructive convo with my wife. Feel confident and completely comfortable in my choice. I'm on the right path and it feels good.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

aggieland - you asked about obsessing over "not drinking".

For me, my thinking was definitely dominated by "not drinking" thoughts for the first couple of months. At least 100X a day. While the action of "not drinking" was not terribly hard (ie: I had enough control to not pick up a drink), my mind was thinking about not drinking constantly.

Also, I had a feeling of "loss". I missed drinking. Both the getting high part and what I perceived as relaxation and socialization.

My therapist told me that both of these feelings were completely normal and definitely part of the pattern. This was very comforting to me.

I dealt with this by reading SR, writing down and adding to my honest pro/con list, and reading books (memoires). You've said that you're not a big book reader, but a couple of them were very helpful for me (best: "drinking. a love story" by Knapp)

Keep it up. Your family needs you at 100%.