Notices

Desires...

Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Desires...

Has anyone ever thought about why it is that the alcoholic seems to have such a hard time with resisting desire? In mindfulness practice you learn to look at your thoughts as a non judgemental outside observer. That is to say you don't attach any right or wrong to them, you see them for what they are... just thoughts.

The part of the brain that issues the desires is the primitive part while the thinking part is the one that actually makes the choice as to whether or not to act on the desire. There is a very real seperation between the two.

When it comes to cravings (which are just desires) issued by the primitive brain we seem to lose that seperation. Instead of recognizing that the cravings are just thoughts and letting them pass we invite them in for coffee and a donut. Once we let them in we set up a mental dialogue with them and this is often the pivot point where we give in to the craving.

I think it's important that we understand how pivot points work and what leads up to them. If we don't set up a mental chat session with the cravings they will just pass, they always do. This seems to be some of the most basic stuff with addictions but it very often is completely missed by many.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: desires

I heard the words "temptation is never on vacation" so many times that my brain actually compartmentalizes that belief today. What might seem like a silly slogan to some people may actually prove invaluable for others. And the same goes for our thoughts as well. It’s not easy to separate rational thought from its inferior counterpart, now is it? Our thoughts can trick us into believing just about anything, and what can or cannot be good for us -especially if we crave its attention. So I try to engage my thoughts coherently today before they become my actions - instead of casually whisking them away. And like you, I try not to entertain these unhealthy demands for too long, but rather detach from them altogether. I view these thoughts today for what they truly are; a circumstantial rebuttal in the courtroom of alcoholic denial. I hope no one has gone over the edge on this one.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's also very hard for us alkies to separate the "wants" from the "needs" as well.