Notices

in the future I want to be a cook

Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

in the future I want to be a cook

When I've sorted myself out and got through CP - I'd like to be a professional cook , I love cooking with a passion. When I was younger I wanted to be a singwr, I got older wanted to be a model but I'm not "gorgeous" enough lol, then I wanted to be an actress (yes I can act I loved drama at school, I also made a movie which my bf took part doing the sound its called CIDERMAN).
I wanted to work with animals but I couldn't put an animal down
But now I've been wanting to be a cook for last few yrs and learned different things
Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I feel like when we be become lost in alcohol. We lose track of ourselves. After drinking/drugging heavily for 10+ years I don't even really know what I want to do in life. One day I want to go back to law school the next week I want to work with computer. I've been sober since Oct. and still have no idea who I am.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its all possible, I love cooking, I have done everything from assembly ine to University instructor drank stuff away but with sobrietyy life is still possible. Never get back all that I lost but can be here now
Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also love to cook. I really wanted to start a food truck a couple of years ago before they were all the rage.

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I feel like when we be become lost in alcohol. We lose track of ourselves. After drinking/drugging heavily for 10+ years I don't even really know what I want to do in life. One day I want to go back to law school the next week I want to work with computer. I've been sober since Oct. and still have no idea who I am.
I know exactly what you mean. I have really been thinking about this in the past week. I started drinking when I was about 14, I am 31 now. Although I have a decent paying job with benefits, that I managed to not lose due to drinking, it is a job in an industry I can't stand. I finished about 1/3 of a bachelor's degree and would like to go back but refuse to spend my life paying back student loans. I use to be an artist, I use to write. Slowly I am getting back into those things. But everyday I change my mind about what I want to do. Tonight I am taking a beginners sewing class that I am pretty excited about. Never thought that would be something I'd do!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

one of my recovering friends , after she had been clean a few years , went to culinary school and became a very accomplished gourmet chef. She and her BF catered a wedding .... a wedding that i officiated- [guess they needed some Rumi spoutin' zen sober scooter guy] 450 guests. over on the creek that runs thru my place....

Now she is in engineering school...

Recovery meant that i finally freed myself from those limitations that I had placed on ME...
Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

one of my recovering friends , after she had been clean a few years , went to culinary school and became a very accomplished gourmet chef. She and her BF catered a wedding .... a wedding that i officiated- [guess they needed some Rumi spoutin' zen sober scooter guy] 450 guests. over on the creek that runs thru my place....

Now she is in engineering school...

Recovery meant that i finally freed myself from those limitations that I had placed on ME...
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck following your dreams Dawnie - I really believe dealing with the drinking issues can be the first step to achieving them

D
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Not to rain on your parade, Dawnie, because you can set your mind to achieve whatever you desire! As a mom, I'll share with you the life of a chef.

You will work long hours, standing and running in a hot kitchen. You have you leave your family at nite because the well paid chefs do dinner service. You are usually surrounded by some type of addict. The most popular thing to do after a shift is to get toasted because you have been in an intense environment for hours. I have to say, it is one of the most stressful jobs I have had. Probably why Gordon Ramsey acts like such an a-hole.

If I had been sober when I decided on this career path, I wouldn't have choosen it. Baby #2 wasn't planned but she is my miracle too. I have decided to ditch my career as a chef due to my family. With a 4 year old and six month old, I feel like they really need me now. To see me and their Dad interact in the evenings, eat dinner together. I also feel like it would put a great stress on my marriage, we'd hardly see each other and we'd both be pulling double shifts between work and caring for the girls. The girls are my first priority right now in life.

Maybe when they are in school, I will go back to cooking part time at nite. For now, I am looking toward a degree that I can work during the day so I can be with my family.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vichloe View Post
Not to rain on your parade, Dawnie, because you can set your mind to achieve whatever you desire! As a mom, I'll share with you the life of a chef.

You will work long hours, standing and running in a hot kitchen. You have you leave your family at nite because the well paid chefs do dinner service. You are usually surrounded by some type of addict. The most popular thing to do after a shift is to get toasted because you have been in an intense environment for hours. I have to say, it is one of the most stressful jobs I have had. Probably why Gordon Ramsey acts like such an a-hole.

If I had been sober when I decided on this career path, I wouldn't have choosen it. Baby #2 wasn't planned but she is my miracle too. I have decided to ditch my career as a chef due to my family. With a 4 year old and six month old, I feel like they really need me now. To see me and their Dad interact in the evenings, eat dinner together. I also feel like it would put a great stress on my marriage, we'd hardly see each other and we'd both be pulling double shifts between work and caring for the girls. The girls are my first priority right now in life.

Maybe when they are in school, I will go back to cooking part time at nite. For now, I am looking toward a degree that I can work during the day so I can be with my family.
I was going to refrain from the same sentiment but I may as well agree with vichloe. I'm still in Culinary Arts but several years ago I started to transition to more Administrative roles with more day hours and an eight hour shift.

One of my last jobs before I became Supervisor in a Hospital was Banquet Chef at a Hotel. Some busy stretches I worked 70 or more hours in one week and some days I got in at 6am and left at 9pm.

When I worked the line for dinner me and the guys would close the corner bar afterwards sucking down as many drinks as we could to drown the adrenaline of the busy dinner rush.

I also saw my fair share of stimulants being used right in the kitchen to keep going. Several weekends in another Banquet Hall we would drink the boxed wine used for cooking while we stayed until midnight Saturday to prep for Sunday Brunch.

Most nights when I would get home after a crazy shift my Wife would witness me chug the first two beers and then say. "You gotta get out of that business"

Just "food" for thought. Maybe indulging your family once a week would be a good way to put your cooking talents to good use. I'm sure they would love it.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I echo what Sudz and Vich said. My husband is a great, great chef. I love him, we are soul mates, and I almost NEVER see him before midnight. It is a good thing I am a night owl.
Really, follow your dreams, just think long and learn as much as you can before diving head first. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that, should we have kids one day, I will be doing most of the raising.
And yeah, its true, I have become good friends with all the other cooks and waitresses he works with. Thru drinking with them after closing hours.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I'm sure you'll find who you are one day and live your dreams
Old 03-02-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Its all possible, I love cooking, I have done everything from assembly ine to University instructor drank stuff away but with sobrietyy life is still possible. Never get back all that I lost but can be here now
I never went to uni
Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post

I also saw my fair share of stimulants being used right in the kitchen to keep going. Several weekends in another Banquet Hall we would drink the boxed wine used for cooking while we stayed until midnight Saturday to prep for Sunday Brunch.
I was actually one of the goodie goodies cause I only drank. I am so thankful I did not jump into the frying pan and try coke, meth and pills were constantly being passed around.

Most establishments know that chefs are addicts. That's why they keep the top shelf alcohol locked in cages in the kitchen and you have ask for the key..