Notices

Clinging on

Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clinging on

Oh dear. Made it to day 5. And it's started again. The psychological cravings. The excuses popping up in my head. Why don't you give yourself a treat? Why don't you just have a bit. By now, these thoughts are familiar 'friends' to me. But it won't just be a bit. And it won't be a treat. It'll just be a step down the road to oblivion. Don't know if I can keep it up. Just one day at a time.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

why not look for more support pricey?

D
Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I hear you Pricey I am reading up on AVRT in the hope that it helps when this time comes for me as well usually around the four and five day mark.

Stay strong we all know what that first "treat" (treat my a$$) leads to.

INH
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

I would get cravings at the end of the work day...around my buying and using time. I found it helpful to eat something. I found it also helpful to come to SR and read posts. There are numerous posts that remind me of why I quit. It's so easy for our brains to " forget" how we feel after drinking two bottles of wine...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by Orbea View Post
It's so easy for our brains to " forget" how we feel after drinking two bottles of wine...
Do you know every time I picked up wine, I knew that, and I ignored that, and I woke up at 3am feeling awful and knew I had ignored that little voice in my head.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I got through it, and did not pick up that drink. I know my Cravings pretty well. I've timed them in the past and know they last no more than 10 mins if I distract myself. Even if I do get them several times a day. They are a different experience from these temptations to 'have a break' or 'treat yourself'. Yet I know, how on earth can they be a break when I have to hide my drinking from my family, down a bottle all at once, that screw up my sleep for the rest of the night.

It's such a terrible disease. Despite knowing the consequences full well, there is still this voice saying it might be a good idea. Is there any other situation quite like this?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you made it. I made it too and completely understand what you're talking about. I know my craving times right after work and I have to distract myself in anyway possible. I ate, turned on Intervention and made some tea. My good friend invited me over but I knew that it would include wine so said we could hang out via phone. I haven't broken the news to my friends that I quit drinking, yet again.

Best of luck to you and congrats on making it!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pricey, are you attending AA meetings ??

Wishing you the best.

Bob R