Notices

Day 2, I found help!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Day 2, I found help!

I found a doctor that would help me withdrawal at home yesterday! Thank the Lord! I went yesterday, they took my blood pressure and it was very high. 176/110. They gave me blood pressure medication and bought a cuff to monitor it at home. Gave me some anxiety medicine to help, was actually able to sleep last nite.

No appetite this morning, feel like I may throw up. Most of all, I feel guilty and weepy. Guilty and disappointed in myself that I got to this place. I have a beautiful family and loving spouse. I don't know why I ever put alcohol before them. My spouse is great and took the girls to breakfast so I could soak in the bath and have some alone time.

I also feel hopeful and excited about starting a new life! I will be a better mom and wife. I know this will not be easy and I can never drink again. I will also start a therapy program next week. Because most of us know we became alcoholics from a deeper issue and we self medicate.

Thank you for reading and this board being here. I was lurking for awhile and after reading your stories, I realized I could get better too!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

You can do this! Glad you're here.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Vichloe!

You are making one of the best decisions of your life, if not the biggest one! You are very fortunate that you have a doctor that will help you detox at home, a loving family, and counseling resources. Give it all you've got!!!! Congratulations, and I look forward to reading about your progress. Stay strong!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

You have a great doctor and great family!!!! Hang in there. Come join the class of February 2012 on the NewComers forum
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a great place for support and useful information.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

HOORAY!!

I hope all the best for you! Stay with it! Have a plan that works with changing what needs to be changed to stay quit!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by vichloe View Post
I found a doctor that would help me withdrawal at home yesterday! Thank the Lord! I went yesterday, they took my blood pressure and it was very high. 176/110. They gave me blood pressure medication and bought a cuff to monitor it at home. Gave me some anxiety medicine to help, was actually able to sleep last nite.
That's good, vichloe, and I am glad you mentioned this on here. I often recommend trying this route — which is standard protocol in many countries — as opposed to the usual advice to "go to the ER" or to "go to rehab" (and possibly go bankrupt). This will keep your name out of the social service system, which in the USA is a good thing (I noticed you are in NC). You may want to have someone check in with you during the next few days, though, and possibly keep track of the medication.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
That's good, vichloe, and I am glad you mentioned this on here. I often recommend trying this route — which is standard protocol in many countries — as opposed to the usual advice to "go to the ER" or to "go to rehab" (and possibly go bankrupt). This will keep your name out of the social service system, which in the USA is a good thing (I noticed you are in NC). You may want to have someone check in with you during the next few days, though, and possibly keep track of the medication.
It wasn't easy, TU. The first places I went to for help were trying to force me into the hospital. It just wasn't an option. I have two young daughters and no insurance. My husband is here and has Monday off also. He is very helpful and supportive. Kinda spoiling me right now and is constantly telling me how proud he is of my choice.

They key was, I went to an urgent care after withdrawling for 24 hrs. I knew my blood pressure was elevated. I could feel it. I told him I was having issues with anxiety and using alcohol to self medicate. He gave me blood pressure meds and some anxiety meds, I paid $75.00 in cash. Done. I know if I start feeling really bad, I would go to an ER. I am not and idiot but most substance abuse places acted like I WILL DIE if I detox at home. I actually don't feel bad. A little nauseated, blood pressure is slightly elevated, no shakes, slept for 12 hours last night. Actually feel like vacuuming and making some osso bucco for dinner tonight.

I understand doctors have to cover their asses. They don't want to be responsible for an alcoholic to get xanax or valium and OD> example: Whintney Houston. There is an exception to every rule and I am thankful I found a doctor that understand my dilemma and trusts me.