Notices

Drunk Driving Is Dangerous...!!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Drunk Driving Is Dangerous...!!

I think I'm finally starting to realize that I was lucky that I never hurt anyone driving intoxicated. I was frequently so drunk I could barely walk yet drove. I had 3 DUI's but drove intoxicated on a daily basis for years. I frequently had a beer or half pint in my car when I drove. The shocking part is that I believed that it was my right to drive drunk because I never had an accident. I was even going to join D.D.A.M. or DrunkDrivers Against Mothers (yes this organization exists). I use to think the police were picking on me when they arrested me for DUI. That DUI was just a scam to make money off people. I now realize that I was a time bomb waiting to hit someone. It's amazing what several months of sobriety does to a persons thinking.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree. I am so ashamed for my past drunk driving. Accidents, thankfully never hurting another person I frequently drank on the way to work, plus still drunk from night before. Drank on way home . God I'm thankful to be sober.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

l drove more than a few times over the limit.
Everyday l am gratefull l did not hurt anyone.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I found myself driving home at 2am from
a local club traveling up the rap to the
interstate going the wrong way. Traveling
in the wrong direction to on coming cars.
When realizing where I was, I emmediately
made a quick turn around no matter where
I was. Thank God I didnt kill someone with
that irresponsible drunken stunt.

How about stopping at a light to have the
urge to race the car beside me. Off we'd
go not knowing who i was racing. Pull off
the side of the road to see who it was.....
Then oops, i don't think so....you are definitely
not my type....lol

Last and not least, i ran off a 2 foot notch
cut on in the road less than a mile from my
home running off the road and hitting a
concrete culvert sitting on top the ground.

2am and a deaf man saw what happened
and summoned the EMS where I was pulled
from the wreakage and strapped to a gurney.

Away I went to the hospital and to this day
have no recollection of that one and only ride
in an EMS truck. DARN..!

I spent 10 day in the hospital with 2 surgeries,
one to remove my punctured spleen so i wouldnt
bleed to death and the other to removed fluid
from my lung. Boy was I messed up with so many
broken ribs, bruises, contusions and broken bones.

With that drunken stunt, i had a civil jury
trial after i got sober due to family intervention.
Whew....That was some 21 yrs ago.

Thank God I didnt kill anyone, nor myself
or I wouldnt be enjoy a healthy happy sober
life today.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I did have accidents just none ever involving people. I frequently crashed into trees but once I totaled a car driving into a building & got out & ran with blood on my face from the air bag. They estimate that for every DUI you get, you drove 70 times drunk before and didn't get caught. I still have some resentments towards the Secretary Of State and MADD but it's getting better. I don't like when people don't like me and I kinda feel like they were out to get me. I suppose I am taking it too personal? I cannot promise but am pretty sure I will not ever get another DUI. Not driving for close to a DECADE had quite a impact on me. I view driving as a gift that I worked hard to get (it was a lot of things to do) & don't want to lose it.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been convicted of DWI's 5 times and been the drunk driver in 2 accidents. I am very fortunate that I have not killed anyone. A person dies every 30 minutes in an alcohol-related traffic accident. It often is not the drunk driver who dies. He just has to live with what he has done for the rest of his life.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I take an AA meeting into the county jail every week and there are many guys in there who are DUI offenders.Virginia has very strict DUI laws,draconian in fact.
Once in a while one of the inmates shows interest in getting sober.Once in a great while they come to AA.
Alcoholism is the disease that tells you that you don't have it.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow. I drank and drove anywhere, anytime, with anyone. I guess you could say I was good at it. I'd like to think that I wouldn't have done it as much if I was a menace when I was driving with a beer between my legs. I don't know. I'm so thankful that I never hurt anyone, wrecked anything or got a DUI. I was lucky. I think in a weird twisted way it improved my driving because it forced me to always "fly under the radar" so I wouldn't get pulled over and busted.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
High on Life

After my 2nd DUI, I remember being in the lawyers office. The lawyer called the detective to see what the charges were going to be. After talking to the detective, the lawyer got off the phone and said in a somber tone, "That was traffic homicide, the only reason they are involved is if somebody died. It looks like there is a fatality."

I saw my whole life flash before my eyes and my future of being incarcerated for the next 15 yrs. It was a rather nerve wrecking experience to say the least. He said don't do anything crazy and he would call me later. About 5 hrs later, I got a phone call telling me that in fact nobody had died and the only reason traffic homicide was involved, was because they witnessed the whole incident.

Drunk driving is no joke. I thought I was special drinking and driving, I was nothing but a jerk, a selfish jerk who wasn't concerned about his well being or the innocent lives of other people. Glad I'm not that person anymore.

Sobriety Freaking Rocks!!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am lucky I never hurt anybody with my drunk driving as well. I haven't done anything too bad as far as drunk driving, but I do remember seeing a drunk do something pretty stupid. I was driving home actually sober one night and the car in front of me slowly swerved into the concrete barrier. I saw sparks shooting in the air from the friction. The drunk driver came to and immediately took the first exit and I watched him pull into a motel parking lot. It was funny at the time, but now I realize how serious that really was.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to drive drunk or ride around with drunk friends just for the fun of it. Cruise around, race down back roads, all with a bottle in your hand and nowhere to go. Now that I think about doing that it just seems so twisted.

I've had a few wrecks from it. When I was sixteen I borrowed my older brother's car for the night, woke up the next morning and went to drive home and the fender of the car was smashed in, and I had no memory at all of what happened. Wrecking a car, driving away, and not remembering a bit of it is such a scary thought. Nonetheless, still kept on driving drunk until I hit a telephone pole going eighty one night, having a chest tube jammed between my ribs, my spleen and a kidney cut out and metal drilled into arm, leg and back taught me a lesson. If I hadn't quit driving drunk beforehand I don't think I would have lived to quit drinking.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A large group of doctors and other experts in addiction were asked to rate addictions in terms of danger. The most dangerous drug turned out to be alcohol because of the damage we do to other people as well as ourselves.