Notices

I did something incredibly foolish last night

Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I took Nyquil once in my life for a bad cold and cough about 18 years ago when I couldn't get to sleep. I took the prescribed dose. Spent the next 10 hours in a half sleep with absolute panic and visual/auditory hallucinations. Chucked that bottle and haven't bought any cough syrup since.

When I detoxed from alcohol last year the first two days were like that but with all the other nasty things stacked on top. Not pleasant.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

alcohol or not, tylenol can KILL your liver if ingested in a high enough dose - not just damage

Ny-Quil was my DOC when i was 13-14yo
Old 02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Over the counter medication and alcohol

Thanks for this thread. When I started drinking again in September after many years dry I started occasionally combining alcohol with cough syrup and eventually walked into my local hospital after consuming alcohol and a fairly high dose of ibuprofen (paracetomol).

My rationalisation to myself was that over the counter medication wasn't going to cause me any real damage and that I could control its effects.

This illness scares me but: one day at a time I haven't consumed alcohol or used non-prescribed medication today.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
What is acetaminophen? Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and a fever reducer. "tylenol"
Nothing wrong with this chemical. It can produce ulcers if taken with alcohol.
Sorry but no, the worry is not ulcers. Tylenol is extremely hard on the liver and toxic in high doses. And it's in so many medications that it's very easy to accidentally take too much and get seriously ill, and yes, die.

I accidentally tripped on DXM when I was about 14. It was quite disconcerting, to say the least.

I guess the important thing is always know what you're putting in your body!!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

SSIL & Phm: You could be right about that. It could have been some kind of subconscious action on the part of my addictive voice. If so, it certainly was sneaky. But, it might not have been. When I was shopping for cough syrup, I was careful to avoid the kind that has alcohol in it. (and to avoid the kind that has acetaminophin, for that matter). But I see your point. We get to where we have a little sober time, and maybe our guard starts to slip a little bit. Me sitting in bed with my laptop sipping cough syrup, it DOES look a little bit like I might have looked with a beer in my hand....

Hmm.

Gonna have to ponder this for a little while.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, everybody! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only person who made the dumb mistake of taking too much of that toxic crap, DXM.

Also, thanks again for all the support as I've been working on maintianing a sober life.

Cheers (with a cup of tea in hand).
Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say thanks again for this thread. My emotions are really up and down around my family and starting to take in bit by bit that I have a dual diagnosis. Finding it difficult to accept that my parents refuse to go to Al-Anon. Had a craving today to drink a bottle of cough syrup from my parents' medicine cabinet this afternoon and left a message for someone in AA. Then remembered some of the posts here.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Run from Tylenol..Tylenol
Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have done this once. That stuff was so nasty it made me gag. As a past LSD user I can say that the "trip" you get from DXM is for the birds.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i did and it was horrible
Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I've done it a few times (not accidentally, though). I didn't have necessarily horrible experiences. Sometimes they were okay. The last time I did it, though, I literally could not even form words. I can only remember flashes. I think that may have been the last time I've ever tripped on anything, and I'll never trip again. I'll never take another hallucinogen again, or even smoke weed. That kind of stuff just does not sit well with my mind. During my drug period, I would've taken nearly anything to get messed up, but now I don't even touch drugs. I can't wait until I can finally say the same about alcohol.

It's a hard earned lesson, but it's so easy to take too much without realizing it. I'm glad you got though it and that it's over.