Notices

How do you calm yourself down?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you calm yourself down?

Hi all. I remember coming here when I was 22 and wow I'm 28 and back. I never really gave quitting a try. I went to my first AA meeting the other day. It was scary but important for me to take that step. As much as I want to be sober there are moments like now where it would be so nice to have that drink and just take the edge off. What do you guys do when you feel this?

Besides exercising, it's really the only way I know to calm myself down. I've never been the life of the party and I didn't use booze to socialize, really just to quiet down my own thoughts, if that makes sense.

What do you suggest?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've gotten into meditation. I started learning with this.

It's 5 part series.

Learn How to Meditate Part 1 of 5 - YouTube
Learn How to Meditate Part 2 - YouTube
Learn How to Meditate Part 3 - YouTube
Learn How to Meditate Part 4 - YouTube
Learn How to Meditate Part 5 - YouTube

The guy sounds Indian and gets into some interesting stuff around Parts 3-5 such as Third Eye and Astral Travel. I haven't gone there yet. But his explanation / rationale for letting the thoughts go and coming back to observing the breath helped me. As did the itchy sensations and pains - I don't know if it's really cosmic energy cleansing me or not - I just know it helps me to roll with it thinking it's natural to feel these things as I sit still for a long period of time with my eyes closed and not sleeping.

Anyway, that helped get me started. Lately I've been incorporating that technique plus some Binaural Brainwave entrainment tones to help me focus for work or relax and sleep.

Brainwave entrainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have used Yoga for a long time and it really helps because it takes the focus off the thoughts running around in your head, and makes you focus on your body and your breathing. In fact, just focusing on your breathing is relaxing.

Music is great too.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Umm...pray? Seriously, in early sobriety, I would pray to get through those scary moments.

Working out with my iPod on instantly knocks my stress level down several notches.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get into AA, get a sponsor, read the Big Book.
Get phone numbers from other members and keep in contact.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MINEr

Reading and music were my big two things outside of the AA routine of BigBook/calling/meeting. Especially music, some good tunes would get me right through the biggest of jitters and cravings.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yoga, running, visiting my horse, taking my dogs for a walk.

Being around animals is very calming to me. Their inner quiet and outward joy at simple little things is so amazing.

Jungian, thanks for those meditation links!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

anything that keeps your mind and hands busy.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Posting and reading here has been great therapy.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Welcome back Gshizzle.

In the early days I found that exercise more than anything helped my anxiety/restlessness. I actually took up karate, and I'm not saying everyone has to do something that extreme, but it helped bring me into the "now" and afterwards my body and mind felt relaxed and content.

I played a lot guitar. I took hot baths. I read a lot of books. I tried to remind myself of what I genuinely like (you tend to not know these things about yourself while drinking) and indulged myself as much as I could. Oh, the carpet upstairs is needs vacuuming? Meh. Take a hot bath instead.

Think about your hobbies, even the ones you used to associate with drinking. Try them again now that you're sober, and you'll find a new appreciation for them.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by MustStop View Post
Posting and reading here has been great therapy.
Same here. I log on here at least 4-5 times a day now and I read every single new post and reply when I feel necessary.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Music does wonders for calming me down. I get really into it sometimes and I'm sure I'd look insane if anyone was watching :rotfxko
I've always loved music, but I must say now that I have a new appreciation for it now. You can get the full emotional power of a song when you're sober.

On my days off I fish a lot as well. It's very relaxing.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Question Re:How do you calm yourself down?

There's no cure-all for anything. Just a series of relaxing metaphors to calm your nerves. Anything that would put you in a sober state of mind would be beneficial. So, I suggest you start there.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I learned how to be with my thoughts. I guess it's sort of like meditation but I don't meditate in the traditional sense... When I see myself getting wound up I gently remind myself to be still in awareness and acceptance. I've heard this state of mind referred to as 'the watcher' and that pretty well describes it.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi;

I'm Angela... And I really dont' want to drink today... please help
Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I calm myself down by never getting too worked up in the first place. But that's just me, I think it's partly my personality, and partly my attitude towards stuff I can't control in life.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Angela, welcome to SR. If you're ready to quit drinking you've found the right place. You might want to introduce yourself in the newcomers forum - it's a bit more active than this one
Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

As much as I want to be sober there are moments like now where it would be so nice to have that drink and just take the edge off. What do you guys do when you feel this?

Besides exercising, it's really the only way I know to calm myself down. I've never been the life of the party and I didn't use booze to socialize, really just to quiet down my own thoughts, if that makes sense.
I've tried it all when my head is spinning. I didn't fret TOO long about drinking but thoughts about me, what I'm going to do with my life, how things will work out, where I'll be in a year.....or 5 yrs, how I can be better, how I can be more successful, etc etc etc etc..... those types of thoughts darn near kill me. One thing's for sure, when I get wrapped up in "me" and my issues, my problems, and what my solutions could or should be........I'm setting myself up for that next drink.

Drinking ALWAYS quieted those thoughts......and usually gave me a lot of confidence too - confidence that I'd meet whatever challenges came and get through them a-ok. A God I barely understand has that role now, in place of booze. (He's a much better leader than booze ever was).

When prayer or meditation or going to a meeting don't seem to produce the relief I want, there's a silver bullet in the AA book in chapter 7, right at the beginning. It reads, "Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics!"

I could (and I suggest you do the same) expand that to mean "go do what you believe God would have you do for someone else - alcoholic or not." If you're brand new, you don't KNOW "the aa message" yet.....you're learning it. You are able though, to go be helpful to other people. Go help a neighbor by taking their trash cans in, help someone at the grocery store unload their cart, take someone with no car to an AA meeting or help clean up/set up after/before a meeting....... Just go do some basic "boy scout" good-kid stuff for someone else. You'll be amazed what "helping others" can do for you. And if you want to REALLY feel good......go do something for someone else and do it in a manner that they'll never know it was you who did it. Take no credit....look for no reward...... just do it to be a good person to someone else.

You'll be AMAZED what getting out of your head (selfish and self-centered thinking) and doing something for someone else (self-less action) will do for your mental state.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angtryagain View Post
Hi;

I'm Angela... And I really dont' want to drink today... please help
Ang, do you attend AA meetings in Albuquerque ?
You would meet a lot of great folks that share your desire.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

God bless all of you. Thank you for your replies and I wish all of you strength. You inspire me daily.