Notices

Made it 4 days!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it 4 days!

I was sober sunday through tonight. I didnt relapse. I made a specific decision to drink. Anyway. I was sober 4 days! Better than no days sober I guess. Most miserable, slept away, unproductive, garbage a** days they were.

Criticize and judge away. I got my alcohol flame suit on. Tell me how its my fault. Tell me its simply a choice and a character defect.

Tell me how much better it will be and how life is so much better
Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what. no comers? Tell me how I stole from my mothers purse, or how I gave it all to the "dope" man. Lecture me about how I robbed people, how I sold myself for sex(lol), inform me of your wisdom people.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

44 people? come on. Tell me its my fault. Please. Like a cancer victim. Its their "fault". Maybe I should just stop having alcoholism, right? Its my choice and my fault, just like someone who has cancer.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Good luck JB. I hope you can find what it is you need. I hope you can deal with the causes of your drinking. I hope you can find the strength you need to get and stay sober. You can do it, but you need to believe that.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Good luck JB. I hope you can find what it is you need. I hope you can deal with the causes of your drinking. I hope you can find the strength you need to get and stay sober. You can do it, but you need to believe that.
tell that to a cancer victim. I dare you.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on the 4 days. That is something to be proud of. It is really up to you to want to be sober more than anything, and to take steps to find a way to take the journey through recovery. You can do it JB.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gone In

The most miserable, slept away, unproductive garbage ass days of my life were spent drunk or in withdrawls.

I'm not going to criticize or judge you. You're in charge of your pain.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

No criticism from me either.
I made the decision to drink again a million times.

Eventually tho, I had to stop.

I came here and received a lot of help and support.

Sure some of the answers I didn't like, especially at the time, but the people here - strangers who gave their time to help me out - really helped me turn my life around.

There's a ton of support and wisdom here - why not use it JB?

D
Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is really up to you to want to be sober more than anything,

yea, but its not up to me. Its not a choice. try reading up on the science of alcoholism.

Its classified as a medical disease and is recognized as such. Its is NOT a moral failing. it is NOT a character defect. it is NOT something to be rationalized away.

Tell someone who has cancer its "really up to you" not to have cancer.

disgusting
Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JBhere View Post
tell that to a cancer victim. I dare you.

I am a cancer victim/survivor. To me, cancer was so much more of a battle than my alcoholism is/was.

I must say, I don't understand why you are coming off the way you seem to be coming off. Like you are pissed at the whole world and for some reason, you are just waiting, expecting, for people to "let you have it" or just place blame on you.

What gives.

T.I.A.B
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gone In

yea, but its not up to me. Its not a choice. try reading up on the science of alcoholism.

Its classified as a medical disease and is recognized as such. Its is NOT a moral failing. it is NOT a character defect. it is NOT something to be rationalized away...
I agree with you. But what we do have a choice about is whether or not to seek treatment.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to try and goad people into going off at me too JB - in a perverse way it justified my drinking - I thought I was a loser, and everyone and everything sucked - and it gave me something else to be angry at, besides myself.

We've all been there JB. Noone here deserves your anger.

D
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR TimeInABottle

D
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get what you are saying even if it is in an angry fashion.

I'm also angry that I am and alcoholic....

I didn't choose to have this disease of alcoholism, in fact I hate that I have it. However it is up to me go ahead and treat it or just ignore it and let it end my life.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Clearly you came here tonight looking for a fight and you didn't find one. What did you want to hear? It is a disease, there is nothing that can be done, go drink yourself to death. Is that what you want to hear?

No. That is not right. Whether alcoholism is a disease or not, there is a difference. You can stop drinking. You need to take steps to do that. There are many options out there. I know you won't do AA, but what about AVRT? You went over to that section a few days ago and made very few posts. Now, you are back here looking for a fight. I will not do that.

If you want to get sober, you need to want it more than anything. You need to grasp it in both hands and not let go. You need a support system. You need to take steps to get sober.

You can do this, I know you can. Others have beat this disease with hard work, belief and support. I will not engage you in battle on this. Good luck JB. I wish you the best brother. I am out of here.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeInABottle View Post
I am a cancer victim/survivor. To me, cancer was so much more of a battle than my alcoholism is/was.

I must say, I don't understand why you are coming off the way you seem to be coming off. Like you are pissed at the whole world and for some reason, you are just waiting, expecting, for people to "let you have it" or just place blame on you.

What gives.

T.I.A.B
sorry. I am too a cancer survivor

Its a DISEASE, just like alcoholism. Cancer will kill you just as easily as alcoholism.

Let me ask you, did your oncologist suggest its your fault? Did he/she suggest a 12 step program? Did he/she tell you to become more "spiritual" or ask you to try "rational recovery" to overcome your cancer?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I used to try and goad people into going off at me too JB - in a perverse way it justified my drinking - I thought I was a loser, and everyone and everything sucked - and it gave me something else to be angry at, besides myself.

We've all been there JB. Noone here deserves your anger.

D
Then perhaps its a convienent way of ingorning the real problem
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's that too - or at least it was in my case.

Personally I think addiction is a lot like my cerebral palsy - it's not just one thing - there's a whole lot of causal factors and manifestations going on.

If we have to get hung up on definitions, maybe it's more than a syndrome than a disease, it seems to me.

D
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

what. no comers? Tell me how I stole from my mothers purse, or how I gave it all to the "dope" man. Lecture me about how I robbed people, how I sold myself for sex(lol), inform me of your wisdom people.
You tell us!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JBhere

Its classified as a medical disease and is recognized as such. Its is NOT a moral failing. it is NOT a character defect. it is NOT something to be rationalized away...

I don't agree that alcoholism is a disease. When I think of desease, think think of cancer, luekemia, ALS, situations that we have no control over. We have control over if we want to pick up and drink from that bottle or glass. To me, that is a total choice. It's a VERY hard choice not to pick up and drink, but it's still a choice. I choose to not pick up. Disease V.S Non Disease is a whole different suject in itself.

I also don't believe that I am powerless over alcohol. I have the power. Not to say that I have not had to look hard and deep for that power, but for me I believe I have that power as long as I keep connected to the A/C outlet (or an emergency gernerator)...the power is there. This too is a whole different subject in itself.

Find whatever you believe, and fully believe in it.......find what works for you and really work it.