Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The drinking-episodes before I decided to sober up

Notices

The drinking-episodes before I decided to sober up

Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question The drinking-episodes before I decided to sober up

I don't know if it is just me... But the drinking-sessions (binge drinking) I had before I realized I had to sober up (or I would end up seriously hurt, or even worse, dead) were EXTREME!!
I got wasted from almost nothing, I was really drunk in public early during the afternoon's, and I blacked out very quickly... After just a few drinks... Really weird...
My friends told me that I passed out and almost went into coma every time we went out and they checked my pulse everytime.. Is that normal?! Or do you think I have some severe damage on my inner organs and that is the reason to why I could not handle that many drinks without getting wasted/pass out.... Blacking out after 4 glasses of wine is a bit extreme dont you think?!

Been sober for 6 days now.. Its tough but I am hangin in there.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Given how you drink I'm surprised you made it 6 days. Your story is one to warrent a trip to an understanding Doc to monitor your detox. Hang in there and all the best to you.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 6. If your tolerance is decreasing it could be indicative of a lot of things. Recommend that you check it out with your doctor.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi accept

like the others have said, if you're worried about your health or what damage you may or may not have done with your drinking, the very best thing to do is go to your Dr and get checked out.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi accept

like the others have said, if you're worried about your health or what damage you may or may not have done with your drinking, the very best thing to do is go to your Dr and get checked out.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JEANS

4 glasses of wine is not nothing and if you fill a glass up like I did then it comes to about a bottle and a half, 'normal drinkers' don't drink that much from what I've seen.
Although saying that, my tolerance went much lower towards the end. It is definitley worth having a doctor check you to make sure you are ok.

Good luck to you and keep posting
Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your lucky to be alive...
l hope you realise that.
And l hope you are gratefull.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Accept, the same thing happened to me. I would start blacking out earlier every time I drank. I think the reason for this is that after you consume massive amounts of alcohol, your tolerance climbs, thus you drink more do reach the desired effect. If your like me, I would drink quickly to "catch up".

Alcohol stays in the body much longer than most realize. I just don't think my brain could handle the rising levels of alcohol in my blood anymore.

Congrats on 6 days!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Accept (I like the name... its an important part of recovery).

As you may already know this is a progressive disease, it only gets worse over time. As mentioned above a meeting with your doctor would be best.

You may be experiencing Kindling, here is an article that explains it further... pretty scary. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/25-34.pdf

Take Care ~ NB
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I learned that it's not how much you drink, but what your drinking, in any quantity, does to you. Funny, I used to drink 10-12 shots of Jack Daniels in a day (or more, depending on what I needed for my hangovers, etc.) but towards the end of my drinking career, it took less and less to put me on my a**. The link that NewBeginning posted is really good for explaining this, although I don't know if that's what is going on with you. Cunning, baffling, powerful ... that's what alcohol is. Just when you think you have it figured out, it throws you a curve ball. :-S

In any event, I'm glad you're here and you will find much support here. Please feel free to share your journey ... there is nothing you can say that the folks here haven't experienced or heard before.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
Your lucky to be alive...
l hope you realise that.
And l hope you are gratefull.
I am beyond greatful! Trust me on that.
So many weird, scary, crazy things have happened during these drinking episodes, and despite this I have managed to walk out of it alive... Scary scary scary.. Alcohol is my only enemy in this life. Too bad it took me so many years to realize this..
Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Blackingout is the ultimate-negative effect of drinking. I feel the same way sometimes. I'd blackout from random amounts of drinking. One day, I could pound beers all day, and the next, a few beers and a shot and I wake up in my buddies living room thanking God I made it alive.

But you don't have to worry about that anymore
Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was missing memories on nights out towards the end on fewer and fewer drinks and it really scared me.

Only 36 days in, but the fear of what I was doing to my body and mind is keeping me strong.

Well done, Accept. Keep going.

Sunny xx