Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The differences between before and after drinking

Notices

The differences between before and after drinking

Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
New User

A lil over 4 months for me...

Got married,
Started a business,
Better Father,
Less anxiety,
keeps getting better and better...

I just gotta remember not to get complacent. Its always trying to sneak in on me.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
BHF

Originally Posted by MustStop View Post
I've done this before with marijuana over 10 years ago. I said "no more" and never have touched it since. The booze will be the same. I'll get to a point where I no longer care about it anymore. I may very well be there already, but I am waiting for the 30,60 and 90 day markers first.
As a member of AA, I agree that AA is not the only game in town. AA does not seem to be the proper program for everyone. Not everyone needs the program that AA suggests. However, I cannot stress enough the importance that I place on seeking some form of a recovery program.

I am an alcoholic. I've known many other alcoholics. I know many sober alcoholics. Most of those I know are in AA because that's where I went to get sober. A few are not in AA... but they all have something they rely on to assist them in their sobriety. I've NEVER met an alcoholic who just put it down and no longer cared about it. I've heard tale of people doing this, but I consider them to be/have been problem drinkers because I don't think any alcoholic of my nature could simply abstain for a specific period of time until they are in no further danger of picking up again. Some may, but I have my doubts based on personal experience.

I also quit marijuana about 15 years ago. Put it down and never went back to it, but I amped up my drinking considerably...it was always my DOC anyway. Just suggesting that you be "respectful" of your addiction (if you consider yourself an alcoholic) because not doing so can have serious consequences. Best of luck.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I'm a better person in just about every way - it was tough trying to live my life with one hand always around a drink.

Most of all I got my optimism back - I was very dark and negative as a drinker - I'm glad to have left that behind.

Before vs after is like black and white to technicolour for me - it's the difference between simply existing and really living

D
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am often still sad and very lonely feeling, thinking about ways to make myself happy. I like to just go take a ride and take pictures of the land away from the city sometimes and just drift away. I haven't become totally happy since I quit a little over a year ago. I still think what if I just got drunk on Saturdays, would that hurt me? Would my life go down the drain with just one drink a week? Maybe it's worth it I think but then I remember...

..and then it all starts to come back to me in one swift memory of the times I had and I shake my head and say no and my body follows. If I tell my body to go left I go left. If I tell it to go right my body goes right. If my mind tells my mouth to shut up well, my mouth follows the instructions.

In the sadness I still carry with me I have still gained enough for me to stay away from it. I control my body again. I do not poison myself for some CHEAP laughs and giggles. I will not die from the sickness alcohol brings me purposely. Being an alcoholic i was no better than someone committing slow suicide murdering myself and at the same time laughing.

I got my body back man. That's what I got and anyone that quits will get. And you deserve it because it's your body to take care of in this world. If you don't care about your body what do you really care about? It starts here with this.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

From existing to living..like Dee said.
(Now if only this weight would have come off like I thought it would I would be set!)