Notices

Friends who drink a lot

Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friends who drink a lot

Am not here this time to talk about myself right now, my friend got a drink problem my problem with that is he/she works with vulnerable people. i geuss what am trying to ask is should he/she should be working there? and yes he/she has admitted to have a problem and hides it from there work place.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your friend should not. The fact that your friend should be able to compromise it and face it at all. Or you, as a friend, could help him/her as well.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

what do you mean by vulnerable people?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What I mean by vulnerable people is he/she teaches unemployed people aged 16 and above basic skills, (how to read and write) most of which come from a background of addiction of some sort. We tried to help but he/she is always drunk when we see him/her and wont listen to reason.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is a bad idea and improper for you to intrude into the worklife of this individual. This is the proper role for his or her peers and superiors, with the only data used to make judgements being actual workplace performance. Your perceptions of and beliefs about what your "friend" is like in the workplace are very prone to error.

The only exception to this that I can think of would be an individual caretaker who is isolated enough to be putting others at risk without such being noticed. By no means does the job description you provided appear to fit this exception.

Do not cause damage to what may be the only healthy part of this individuals life.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have always found that the courage, fortitude and desire to get sober must come from within.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK am worried about the people he/she teaches because if the government pays him/her a very good pay and he/her dose not give a crap about the people he/she teaches. I feel like why should he/she be working there when those same people are going the same thing as he/she is. I not trying to "damage to what may be the only healthy part of this individuals life".
Old 02-04-2012, 12:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is really none of your business or of your concern. This individual has peers and a supervisor that he/she answers to. You are meddling in something that you have no right to be meddling in. If work performance is an issue, then it is the peers' and supervisor's responsibility to deal with, Stay out of other people's affairs.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First of all i didn't say i was meddling in his/her affairs all was asking was should they be working there, second is he/she tell me that they been having sex with underage students i didn't want to say that but now i have. as a lot of people know here is easy to hide your problems from your work place but this is something else.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Curse View Post
First of all i didn't say i was meddling in his/her affairs all was asking was should they be working there, second is he/she tell me that they been having sex with underage students i didn't want to say that but now i have. as a lot of people know here is easy to hide your problems from your work place but this is something else.
Its a difficult one but I do agree with the other posters. What this person does in their work life is not really your business. The person will have colleagues and a boss who will surely will supervise/observe what the person is like in their working life.

But by asking should they be working there it implies you want people to say yes or no and then you would try and do something about it. What do you want out of this? Do you want to report them? Who would you report them to? I think you should also consider your own motives for reporting them and what you hope to gain from reporting them.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know its not my business but when that person talks about the things they done to me what am i to do tell them they drink 30 cans of cider a day or having sex with underage people is wrong? really if i was to report him/her i would of done it by now.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Curse View Post
I know its not my business but when that person talks about the things they done to me what am i to do tell them they drink 30 cans of cider a day or having sex with underage people is wrong? really if i was to report him/her i would of done it by now.
Maybe it might be best to distance yourself from them then you won't be in a position to have to listen to it. good luck
Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Curse,
What answer do you want to hear? What do you want us to tell you? I'm not saying your friend is a saint. If having sex with a 16 or 17 year old is a crime in the UK, then you are going to have to decide if you want to take action or not and go to the authorities or not. It sounds as if the only proof you have that any of this is happening is this individual relating his/her escapades (telling drunken stories when drunk).

I agree with the other posters about examining your motives. You sound more concerned about the good salary this individual is being paid by the government and how unworthy this person is of having such a good job ... than you are concerned about the people he or she may be taking advantage of. What you write smacks more of jealousy than virtue. And probably my writing that is going to **** you off. Oh well.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong. I am giving you my observation. Susan
Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
Curse,
What answer do you want to hear? What do you want us to tell you? I'm not saying your friend is a saint. If having sex with a 16 or 17 year old is a crime in the UK, then you are going to have to decide if you want to take action or not and go to the authorities or not. It sounds as if the only proof you have that any of this is happening is this individual relating his/her escapades (telling drunken stories when drunk).

I agree with the other posters about examining your motives. You sound more concerned about the good salary this individual is being paid by the government and how unworthy this person is of having such a good job ... than you are concerned about the people he or she may be taking advantage of. What you write smacks more of jealousy than virtue. And probably my writing that is going to **** you off. Oh well.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong. I am giving you my observation. Susan
It isn't. The age of consent is 16 in the UK. I didn't realize Curse was in the UK
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
It isn't. The age of consent is 16 in the UK. I didn't realize Curse was in the UK
Although an adult in a position of authority can now be prosecuted for sex with a 16 or 17 year old-such as a teacher with a pupil being the classic example
Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

They admitted they have a problem to you. Did this person come to you specifically for help? I agree; keep the work stuff totally out of it. If you're worried about potential legal repercussions talk to an Atty/Barrister. None of your business and not your responsibility, with the possible exception of knowing a crime was committed (IMHO). Perhaps you can guide them in the right direction to get help if that's what they came to you for. Sounds like you're in a real sticky situation. Just a quick observation. The age of consent in Wales is 16. You mentioned he/she teaches 16 and above. Soooo by the legal definition they are not underage. I would focus on myself, if he/she is reaching out try to point them in the right direction. Just my two cents.