Notices

I'm wondering

Old 12-16-2003, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

I'm wondering

I have been drinking almost everyday for over a month now, about a shot of everclear a day. I chose everclear because I know it'll get me buzzed the quickest. I drink to get buzzed, not drunk. Sometimes if I drink early in the day and my buzz starts to wear off I drink again to continue it. I'm on paxil too so I get buzzed much quicker. It's hard for me to not drink or to skip days. However sometimes I don't feel like drinking but those days are rare. I drink by myself at home. I get partial blackouts rarely. Am I an alcoholic?
Old 12-16-2003, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome

Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic.There are all sorts of drinking patterns that can be considered alcoholic.I think the more important issue is that your drinking clearly bothers you.And you probably know that drinking along with your medication is not a good idea.

I drank for many years,as a binge type drinker.I'd get smashed,have blackouts,and then go for weeks or even months without drinking.Meanwhile,I used other drugs.It was always the effect that I was chasing.I wanted to be high all the time.

It wound up smashing my life completely before I could see that I had a problem.I am lucky to be alive.It sounds like you already know that your drinking is a problem.The question now is,what do you want to do about it?

You'll find a lot of support here.Keep coming back....k?

phoenix
Old 12-16-2003, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Mystique and welcome!

Please scroll throught the various forums especially Jay's Power post's on this forum. Unfortunatly, no one can answer the question for you. That you have to do yourself. It's often said, if you think you have a problem you probably do. If that's the case then you have to decide what your going to do?

You have many choices should you decide your an alcoholic... hope that didn't hurt to much. But it's okay, you can be okay, and you will have a bunch of people here supporting you in what ever you decide you must do, be it quit, try moderation, or continue what your doing until your answer is clear.

Hope you will find the answer your looking for, and you don't have to go it alone. Glad your found us!
Old 12-16-2003, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

"Blackouts are one symptom that clearly distinguishes alcoholics fro non alcoholics" Dr. J. Milam wrote in Under The Influence. Page 108

Do you know the danger of mixing Paxil and alcohol?

The buzing you mention could ne the sound of the saw making your coffin.

I suggest you have an honest talk with your doctor.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

What is the danger of mixing Paxil and alcohol?
Old 12-17-2003, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mystique, Welcome to Soberrecovery.
I can tell you that when I mixed paxil and alcohol I had the same quick drunk/buzz. I understand some don't have a problem with it. I believe this may have something to do with timming. Anyway, the more I did it the worse I got. Blackouts, nightmares etc. I'll tell you one thing, if the bottom is what you are looking for, it will get you there in a hurry also. The worst part for me was the combo withdrawl. I know in my case I abused everything. If everyone needed 2 asprin I needed 3 or more. If the the directions said 2 tablespoons I took 3. Your mind is being pulled in 2 directions. It is only a matter of time that something will blow. I am no doctor so this is my experence.
Sometimes we ask questions we already know the answer to, hopping we are wrong so we can drink. Don W
Old 12-17-2003, 10:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

Hi Mystique...

Please look at the Warning info that comes with your prescription. It says "Do Not Take with alcohol"

Paxil is to treat depression/anxiety. Alcohol is a depressent.

It is time to speak with you doctor.

Take care of yourself...
Old 12-18-2003, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

The catch with Alcoholism is it requires self diagnosis in order to recover. I also discovered in sobriety that my brief periods of depression were nothing more than bouts of self-importance.

You don't have to decide if you're an alcohlic right this second.

Go to an AA meeting.

The only question you really need to answer is if you want to continue living the way you've been living.

TGood Luck!