Notices

Fresh Start 2012

Old 01-30-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fresh Start 2012

I am alcohol-free this year, save and except for a glass of wine on January 15th.

I drank more than most, less than some, too much for me.

The transition has been easier than I expected. That is not to suggest that it will always be easy. I am trying to be positive: I'm not denying myself anything, I am giving myself something.

There are some forks in the road ahead. One is a golf trip in April with three drinkers ( two heavy and one moderate). They would laugh if I told them I wan't drinking. ("You never drank anyway!") I could go and drink, go and not drink, or stay home.

I also travel abroad every summer, and trying new wine is a particular treat. Can I limit myself to a glass a day and then resume full sobriety? Dunno.

We all feel our stories are unique. After lurking here often, I have learned that I have lots in common with lots of you. Many of the posts here have helped me resist the urge to "just have one" at the end of a busy day. Thank you for that.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veneer View Post
I drank more than most, less than some, too much for me.
Hi Venner...thanks for the post. That is a great statement! Keep reading here and posting. You will find support and information here. All the best.

Jim
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. My two cents worth:

Both these events are a ways down the road. When April comes, you might be in a position to know how strong you are and if a golf game will threaten your recovery. As for you travel abroad, there is so much more to do on a vacation than drink. You know this, but your addiction is already tickling you with the promise of drinking. If you start promising yourself drinks in the future, that "day" will get closer and closer, and maybe in a week the same thought will enter your head..."Just a taste, then I'll stop."

Madness.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Veneer Like you, the transition for me has not been difficult compared to some posts that I have read. Even so, I look at my experience like the calm before the storm.

Maybe it hasn't been that hard in the beginning, but it's entirely possible that the worst will come later. I've tried to stay on my toes and not become too relaxed about being sober. The true test for me will come in the spring and summer when all the activities and socializing really begin.

Personally, I know that I cannot even entertain the idea of having a glass of wine or a drink here and there. If that were a possibility, I wouldn't be here at SR in the first place. All the times that I thought I could control my alcohol ended in complete failure.

I've had to change my way of thinking and realize that NO alcohol is the only solution for me. The fleeting thought of having glass of wine may seem so insignificant. But, for most alcoholics that have posted here on SR, a single glass of any alcohol would be like playing with fire.

I wish you the very best
Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here veneer
when I quit I finally had to accept that alcohol - & any amount of alcohol - was bad for me.

I've drunk my share and then some.
I'm very happy I finally let it go - I'm done

Welcome to SR

D