Notices

Asking for help. I need a change.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Asking for help. I need a change.

Good Evening Everybody.

I'm here because I'm an alcoholic. I drink from 4-10 beers per day, though generally average around 6-8. I drink because I've experienced debilitating panic attacks for decades. The alcohol stops them. I'm 34.

I'm functional, but I fear that I won't be soon. I've earned a graduate degree, have a successful career, and I'm a very active member of my community. I hesitate attending AA meetings because we're in a small town and, to be a bit ostentatious, I'm perceived as a young, upwardly-mobile guy that has things "together."

I've cut down the last few days to about a sixpack, but I'm terrified that I'll experience withdrawals or the DTs if I start tapering. Are the DTs really something to worry about when one only consumes so "little?"

Thanks in advance for your support and your help. I'm looking forward to feeling better and making a few new friends here.

Best,
A
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Hi Fosters,
Welcome tp SR, nice to meet you, and great that you decided to look for support for your problems. You'll find a lot of supportive people here that can relate. I f.e. got a lot out of reading tons of posts on the forum when I started getting sober. It helped a lot.

I've experienced debilitating panic attacks for decades. The alcohol stops them.
Alcohol doesn't stop anixety, depession, sleeping problems. It's just giving you the impression of instant relief, but on a neurological level, it actually makes the overall symptoms worse. It's a crutch, a self medication that doesn't work. So it catches you in a vicious circle. I have been there and was close to suicidal due to it. It takes a bit of time but if you get sober chances to overcome this are much, much better.
So it''s good to adress the alcohol issue first, so that you can get further help for the panic attacks. In this specific situation, talking to your doctor about it would probably be good. There are meds that can be prescribed to detox more safely and to keep the anxiety at bearable levels. Especially if the panic attacks are one of the reasons you drink, medical assisance may be a good choice. I'm not at saying that you should start taking pills instaed of alcohol but sometimes at least some medication could be necessary.
Keep reading and posting, and best wishes,
Lionne
Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Fosters

Noone here can predict how your withdrawal will go....there's more variable involved than how much you drink.

It's best to be safe and see a Dr - especially if you're concerned

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach, like Rational Recovery or SMART.

Many groups have online meetings available - AA, SMART & LifeRing offer this I think - and Rational Recovery have no meetings at all.

There's a way forward for everyone I think.
You'll find a lot of support here

Glad you've joined us

D
Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply, Lionne. Glad to know we're not alone. I have supportive family and friends, but none really understand panic attacks.

I'm visiting a psychiatrist at the moment (wasn't entirely thrilled with the results..."here's some klonopin, now quit drinking") but am actively searching for a good therapist. Haven't taken the klonopin. Will try to taper gradually.

I am absolutely terrified of withdrawals, but from what I hear my intake isn't quite voluminous enough to worry about severe reactions (likely be miserable a bit...).

Thanks again; will keep everybody updated!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome here and good wishes on your efforts. Your reluctance to take the drug looks like good instinct, some people have difficulties after being on it a while.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Don't hesitate about the meetings, even if it is a small town, and you see someone who knows you, they are there for the same reason and they won't go blabbing to the town about you. I felt the same way when I first went. I saw 3 people that I work with and i felt awkward but they all just said hello, asked how i was and that was that. It was never spoken about outside of the meetings.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I appreciate the support.

Had a tough day. Things are hectic at work; I ended up drinking two beers for breakfast and a six-pack since I've been home. I'm disappointed; it seems that "moderation" (quite a malleable term...certainly subjective) is perennially troublesome. I'm continually surprised by my ability to perform some relatively high-level work while at least partly buzzed. It scares the hell out of me.

If I go so much as 12 hours without a drink, I experience a feeling that I can only describe as ah...hell. A bit of shakiness, panicky; I liken it to going more than a few hours without a cigarette.

My theory: I drank 14 beers yesterday. I've had eight today. That's a start, and tomorrow will be new.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

Fosters - Welcome to SR!

nodding in agreement with the others + adding my own 2 cents

if your doc doesn’t understand alcoholism/addiction, I’d VERY much recommend a new doc!
Only took me YEARS to figure that one out

there ARE anxiety meds that are NOT mood altering!
I told my (new) psych from the very beginning that that’s want I want/need and he understood/agreed

on top of everything else, I don’t need the temptation to abuse my medications!

+ like FlyerFan said - don’t hesitate about the meetings!
my 1st meeting, I waked in and saw my BOSS and thought OH NO!I AM SO BUSTED!
but she was there for the same reason I was – to get/stay sober – it’s all good!

And yes, tomorrow is always a brand new day

I hope you keep coming back to the forums + posting!
(check out the chatroom if you haven't yet )

Blue
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fosters101 View Post
Good Evening Everybody.

I'm here because I'm an alcoholic. I drink from 4-10 beers per day, though generally average around 6-8. I drink because I've experienced debilitating panic attacks for decades. The alcohol stops them. I'm 34.
A
The problem that I can see in this situation is an individual becoming dependent on the temporary effects of the beer when you take it. Becoming dependent on it makes you look more for it and ask more for it.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nothing left to do but to try really hard again and see how long you can go this time.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by Fosters101 View Post
Thank you all. I appreciate the support.

Had a tough day. Things are hectic at work; I ended up drinking two beers for breakfast and a six-pack since I've been home. I'm disappointed; it seems that "moderation" (quite a malleable term...certainly subjective) is perennially troublesome. I'm continually surprised by my ability to perform some relatively high-level work while at least partly buzzed. It scares the hell out of me.

If I go so much as 12 hours without a drink, I experience a feeling that I can only describe as ah...hell. A bit of shakiness, panicky; I liken it to going more than a few hours without a cigarette.

My theory: I drank 14 beers yesterday. I've had eight today. That's a start, and tomorrow will be new.
Try to ween yourself down to a safe point. Because if you try to quit cold turkey you could end up putting your life in danger.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fosters
you are still young now is a good time to stop.
This is just my experience, quitting can feel pretty junky for one or two or even three weeks, but full-blown DT's are extremely unlikely. JMO, you are putting yourself at greater risk by continuing drinking.
Best wishes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

see a doctor