Notices

Major cravings, first time in a while

Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Major cravings, first time in a while

I honestly don't know if I'm craving a particular kind of food or if it's actually booze, but it's the drink I associate cravings with most, so I guess that's where I'm pinning them to.

It's been like having a background headache, the craving's been there all day in varying intensity. I haven't had to think through a craving like this in a while. I'm not sure where it's come from, except that I have been feeling a little restless lately. There have been a couple of situations where it would of been nice to have a drink, and so that might have planted the idea in my head.

Gah, lighting and thunder here... I better shut the computer down in case of electricity surge.

I hoped I was done with these feelings! If they don't go away soon I'm going to allow myself to break my diet and get some icecream. it might be a sugar craving I'm after ???
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we can often interpret any kind of craving as an alcoholic one, especially in the early days.

Usually eating something helped, if I was hungry

Urge surfing helped me too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

stay safe in the storm, FD
D
Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Anything that works, chocolate if that fails
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In early sobriety people suggested drinking a milkshake. Also, avoid "people, places and things" that can trigger a craving for a drink. Know that THIS WILL PASS.

If you're in AA you can certainly go to a meeting and talk about it.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there FD!! It's good that you're taking the time to think this through. You mentioned that there have been a couple of times that it would be nice to have a drink, and I'm assuming it's stress related. Maybe a trigger??

I know I'm not one to give advice since I'm early in sobriety, but I'm sure that our minds have a tendency to go back to a known comfort zone. Wait it out FD, you can do it.

Icecream and waffle cones are a new staple at my house
Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks all - and BG - all advice is appreciated no matter how far along in the process Dee, I did try the urge surfing technique, but I started to think that it's not quite like a wave because the intense part of a wave happens so quick, whereas the intensity of a craving can last for a long time.

I ended up having an icecream with ice-magic topping It helped a bit, but I pretty much just spent the night feeling miserable and sorry for myself.

My 'triggers' haven't seemed to be linked to stress (although now you mention it I am way behind with an assignment... It's due today, so I wonder if yesterday that was a manifestation of the stress).

This is my first time sober since I began my drinking career. I think my brain is shifting into the "Well, maybe you can drink" phase... I know a lot of people go through it, and I know where it ends up - right back at the start, although a lot deeper down. And I know this, it makes sense to me, logically, that I cannot drink, and yet I'll be picking up dinner and thinking "Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have one drink while waiting". Or it's the end of the day and "It's so hot, a nice cold beer"... It's dangerous territory, and I haven't been thinking with these thought patterns since the first few weeks of quitting.

If it gets bad I know I can go back to the doctor and go back on the anti-craving meds. I really don't want to, but that's safer than drinking.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

the thing about urge surfing is, as I found it - it's hard to apply 'cold'. You need to practice a little and get used to the technique.

I found the more I did it, the more self aware I got - probably because I was listening to my body - so that got better at sensing the wave before I got suddenly 'dumped'

D