Notices

Day 11-

Old 01-24-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11-

At the risk of rubbing people the wrong way, I’m going to admit something. After years and years of daily, heavy, seemingly uncontrollable alcohol abuse, quitting drinking has been much easier than I thought.

I’m on day 11 and I don’t want a drink. There are times when I ‘sort of’ want a drink, but it’s not what I’d call a compulsion or strong craving. More like a fleeting thought. Like glancing at an attractive girl’s ass and just for half a moment thinking, “hmmm, that’s nice.” then going back to whatever my brain was doing before…”Damn these nachos are good.” I’ve experienced a complete psychological change as it relates to how I think/feel about alcohol.

I remember hearing the cliche that 'You can’t make a change until you’re truly ready', but now I understand why it's a cliche- because it's 100% true. I feel like my ease of travel down the road away from alcohol has been easy, because the path has been cleared away by my sincere desire to change. I decided that I was going to do this. No matter what. I relentlessly, ruthlessly went about making sure that I didn't put any alcohol in my mouth. Even when I really wanted to. Even when it's all I wanted to do.

The 3 rules that I embraced that saved me through this process so far have been:

1.) No freelancing

2.) No improvising

3.) Plan everything

Okay so I realize that's the same rule, but this how I think about it.

I have that window of time that I have to be especially wary of. For me it's every day from 4 - 7. If I don't have a drink in that time-frame, chances are I won't drink at all that day. So what worked for me is that I planned something, some sort of event or appointment- big or small that distracted me through the witching hours. Movies worked the best at first (I can recommend MI-5 and TGWTDT, but not Contraband or S Holmes), little chores (hair cut, oil change, etc...), informal appointments with my 7 year old (to walk the dog, etc...) anything to keep my mind occupied. I also went to the GNC and bought a case of 0 carb Isopure bottles and I put one on ice in a cooler every day and I drink it after work. For me this does 2 things- it puts something in my hand, that's expensive, a treat if you will, and keeps my mind, hand and mouth occupied as I get into the car and start to drive. Plus it it's high protein content (40G) sates me. Heck it bloats me, I don't feel like drinking after that. At least until I'm well on my way going wherever it is I'm going.

Still, I keep my guard up and I’m aware in advance of any situations that might include a temptation to drink. I’m deciding beforehand, what I’m going to do. I’ve been very open and outward to everyone around me about my not drinking and so far, I haven’t encountered that one person close to me who is supposed to not like me anymore because I have quit drinking. So far so good.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 11!

Sounds like things are going well for you. Keep it up!!

I think its great that you plan things during the window of time that is wary for you.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by phoenix632 View Post
I feel like my ease of travel down the road away from alcohol has been easy, because the path has been cleared away by my sincere desire to change. I decided that I was going to do this. No matter what. I relentlessly, ruthlessly went about making sure that I didn't put any alcohol in my mouth. Even when I really wanted to. Even when it's all I wanted to do.
Congratulations. I hope the folks reading this don't confuse easy with effortless. You have a plan, you are working it. You sound determined. You don't drink no matter how much you want to. That takes tremendous strength and effort. Don't sell yourself short, phoenix, by calling any of this easy.

However, if you want to characterize a recovery that is not highlighted by relapse after relapse, that is successful, as easy, then by all means, call it easy. It sure beats the hard of failure, doesn't it?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 9 and so far it has been somewhat easy for me. I'm still having some physical cravings. Mentally I haven't wanted to drink until yesterday when the thought briefly went through my head. As quickly as the thought popped up I reminded myself that I did not want to. Cravings come but they pass relatively quickly for me. I've been doing jiu jitsu or lifting weights every day after work so that is an appointment that keeps my mind occupied during the time period I would most likely drink in the past. I also made it through my first drinkless weekend and am catching up on a lot of tv shows and movies on netflix that I have wanted to watch but wouldn't have the attention span if I drinking. I even watched play off football all day on Sunday without any drinks, which is unheard of for me. Sorry for rambling about myself but my main point is I can relate and keep it up
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=phoenix632;3254574] Like glancing at an attractive girl’s ass and just for half a moment thinking, “hmmm, that’s nice.” then going back to whatever my brain was doing before…

Good job on 11 Days. Keep up the good work. I like the quote (above). Haa.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
one chance one life

congrats! i wish i could relate im on day 17 and its been damn hard for me i cant seam to get booze of my mind but i havent caved in and dont plan on it, alchol has done so much bad for me nothing good comes out off being wasted everyday so i just have to refuse to even take a sip but anyway keep it up.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitter13 View Post
I'm on day 9 and so far it has been somewhat easy for me. I'm still having some physical cravings. Mentally I haven't wanted to drink until yesterday when the thought briefly went through my head. As quickly as the thought popped up I reminded myself that I did not want to. Cravings come but they pass relatively quickly for me. I've been doing jiu jitsu or lifting weights every day after work so that is an appointment that keeps my mind occupied during the time period I would most likely drink in the past. I also made it through my first drinkless weekend and am catching up on a lot of tv shows and movies on netflix that I have wanted to watch but wouldn't have the attention span if I drinking. I even watched play off football all day on Sunday without any drinks, which is unheard of for me. Sorry for rambling about myself but my main point is I can relate and keep it up

Congratulations on day 9, now day 10! Sounds like we have a very similar strategy when it comes to not drinking- keep yourself busy, be aware of the temptations and just plan to stay occupied. For me, its been getting easier every day to where I'm on autopilot- insomuch as it means I plan, plan, plan without much effort. I also feel like something is changing in me, where I'm preferring the sober life to the drinking life- making drinking a secondary option altogether. I know what you mean about watching premium football without alcohol! It's always been a given for me that I would be drinking while watching sports- football and mma more specifically. I sat on my couch with a protein drink and watched football totally sober and was none worse the wear for it- same with UFC this past Friday.
Quit drinking-Keep rambling!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Congratulations. I hope the folks reading this don't confuse easy with effortless. You have a plan, you are working it. You sound determined. You don't drink no matter how much you want to. That takes tremendous strength and effort. Don't sell yourself short, phoenix, by calling any of this easy.
Well said! I think you put into words what I meant by 'not rubbing people the wrong way'. You're absolutely correct- I'm working a plan and I'm focusing on it and working it hard. I found something, a plan that i BELIEVE works and I think the belief makes it feel somewhat effortless, but the believe part of it took some work, and quite honestly I had to take a leap of faith in the beginning.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legalage View Post
Good job on 11 Days. Keep up the good work. I like the quote (above). Haa.
LOL- You know what I'm talking about!