Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Trying a new method, simply the start of my story

Notices

Trying a new method, simply the start of my story

Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In the "Big Book" of AA, the author (Bill Wilson) says if you need more research, go to a bar and have a drink or two. But that's all.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by notime408 View Post
I've been doing so well taking it day by day but over the last two days I've fallen off, not bad... just not in the cut back order that I had in mind.
Well, either you can or you can't. For some reason, problem drinkers and alkies tend to look at each failure as an "almost" rather than what it really is. But...maybe practice will make perfect for you. Like has been said though, most of us wasted many months and/or years doing just what you're proposing.

Notime, maybe you can. God knows most of us tried and tried ourselves. If you can't control it and decide you want to stop altogether, help is available.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Well, either you can or you can't. For some reason, problem drinkers and alkies tend to look at each failure as an "almost" rather than what it really is. But...maybe practice will make perfect for you. Like has been said though, most of us wasted many months and/or years doing just what you're proposing.
I completely understand this statement and you could very well be 100% right. But I just never view anything in life as completely black and white. For me a week of not just drinking with no control is a small victory and is just a step towards my greater goal.

I could fail miserably or it could all work out for me, one thing I do know is that telling myself that the method I'm attempting is never going to work is only going to prove that point. So I will stay positive and pat myself on the back for each small victory and hope that I can come here one day and honestly tell everyone that I did it.