Notices

Cough Syrup

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cough Syrup

This is a question from my previous post. I drank too much narcotic cough syrup the other night. On purpose. Does this mean I slipped? Relapsed? Do I have to pick up another freaking white chip? That thought makes me want to cry.

I am also on prescribed benzodiazepines but I don't abuse those.

I poured the cough syrup down the drain.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think those decisions on what constitutes a relapse, sober time, white chips are yours to make Watchful....

but yeah I'd be extra careful about replacing my old addiction with a new one - maybe stay away from the narcotic cough syrup - if you have a cold there's plenty of non alcoholic non narc varieties around

D
Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I realize, no narcotics for me in any form. Reminds me too much of the alcohol buzz. I like it too much.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is an oldtimer in my group who takes the communion wine in the Catholic church. His first AA meeting was in 1962. Nobody questions him on his birthdays.

I know you will make the right decision, that decision will clear your conscience/

Wishing you the best:
Bob R.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Years ago, I went to mass with my sponsor. I went up for communion and took the cup, not even thinking about what was in it. When I realized I'd tasted some wine I questioned my sponor about it. His response was, remember where you are and why you're here. Now that I am a Catholic, I only take the cup on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the year just the host. You stated "On purpose." If I were your sponsor, I'd call that useing with intent, which would mean another beginners chip and getting honest with yourself and the people you go to meetings with. You have a choice!! Use or don't use! You used, on purpose, with intent. Like it or not you used a drug. That is not making a good choice, at least if you're alcoholic or a drug addict or both. You need to get sober and stay sober if you want any of the benefits from the steps. I had a cold a month ago and took some Delsym which is non-alcohol. Something in it made me feel funny, like tired and listless. I didn't take any more 'cause I don't like feeling like that any more. Dee is correct. It is your decision but if you keep playing with fire, you're bound to get burned.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You made a mistake, it's okay, don't do it again, look forward, move on.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As long as you don't have a narcotics problem then you certainly can take the benzoes as prescribed. Same with the cough syrup. If you have syptoms (coughing) then you should take as directed.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

If you had a really bad cold then it was okay but if you drank it for the buzz than I would start again. I use to drink mouthwash and think that was okay eventually it led me back to vodka/drugs.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

To thine own self, be true.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Personally, if I did that.. I would consider my recovery/sobriety compromised and do some work to figure out where that choice stemmed from.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

do you have a sponsor you can ask for input?

**personally**, if i took something to intentionally alter my mood/mental status, i would consider that a relapse and pick up another white chip.

Blue
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thank you for being so honest with us in here. It's a difficult thing to do.

Personally I would consider it a slip if it were intentional (regarding the cough syrup), however if you are on prescribed medicine and using it as directed I don't believe that would be a problem.

However, I can only say that from what I would do/believe, I know myself. It is up to you how you view it.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I'm ashamed to say I have also used/abused cough syrup in the past. My alcoholic mind told me it was ok because it was 'medicinal'. But the sane part of me knew it was not ok. Not only do cough medicines have narcotic properties, they usually contain alcohol. And alcohol is alcohol. Well done for being so honest on this site.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I have to ask if something is wrong, it usually is. Just sayin...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

If I take medications (narcotics or otherwise) as prescribed or directed I do not consider it a relapse of any sort.

If I abuse any medication (prescribed or not) I consider it a relapse.

It's a personal decision I believe.