Notices

Feeling so anxious

Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling so anxious

Hello
just wondering if someone is able to help please. I'm on day 10 and feel physically so much better esp in last few days after pretty horrific early days

The problem is that for the last 2 nights I've felt really anxious. I have suffered from anxiety before and been prescribed valium but I've managed without it for the last 4 years (whilst drinking)

I feel so nervous/anxious/a bit angry in the evenings when I would be drinking and didn't expect this feeling. I try to stay calm and relax but you know I can't stop normal life things from happening. will these feelings pass? I don't want to swap alcohol for valium.

I know many recommend AA but for various reasons I am unable to attend. I don't want to attend and am finding this site very supportive but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and will it pass. Many thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't want to attend AA either...But I did. I think anxiety is pretty normal when you try to rid yourself from something that you feel you have to have...Even if it's destroying your life....Working the 12 steps was a major help for me in that department. Fear was one of the main reasons I drank...I had to address that. And I did.
Find some kind of program that will work for you. I think from my own experience....Drinking sure didn't releive my anxiety...It fueled it. Poured gas on it. Do what you have to do...If that is what you really want.....Oh...And talk to your doctor...Be honest. Do what's best for you.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding Sapling. I know AA works for many many people but I have tried it before and felt very uncomfortable. There are also practical reasons why i can't attend. From reading these threads many people seem to be successful in staying sober without it. I agree the anxiety is fuelled by alcohol-that's why I was surprised-I assumed (wrongly) that when I became sober the anxiety would stop, or at least reduce
Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You''ll calm down...Find something that works for you. I was uncomfortable in AA too. But this isn't about comfort for me...This is about saving my life. I wish you the best.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The anxiety will pass in time but everyone is different on the amount of time it takes ... it can take anywhere from weeks to months depending on your brain chemistry and alcohol consumption.

Alcohol actually damages the brain and "rewires" it and your brain and body will foolishly work against you to try to get you to drink ... all your body knows is that it craves the alcohol and is unaware of the damage it is doing.

If you don't consume alcohol your brain will heal and it will actually rewire itself back to normal pathways and responses. The anxiety will diminish and chances are you will be able to function normally without medications.

That being said if your anxiety level is debilitating, worsens or you do not seeing significant improvement after a couple of weeks of sobriety I would definately see a doctor who is well versed in addiction to discuss the problem.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JEANS

You could try counselling, they could help with your anxiety and you can also discuss your addiction on a one to one basic, a lot less daunting. Failing that, there's plenty of CD's you can buy for anxiety, you could listen to those and concentrate on your breathing during the evening.

Also a healthy diet will help, lots of water, oily fish, fruit and veg. I find that if I eat bad and get low blood sugar I panic a lot.

I hope you feel better soon, I know how lonely anxiety is
Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for your responses and your kind, supportive words

I am trying to follow a good diet, so hopefully that will improve my mental function.

Hopefully it will soon pass, or at least improve.
Thanks again
Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there....You're going through a major chamge in living...If it was easy...Nobody would ask for help.