Notices

Health Benefits After Getting Sober?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health Benefits After Getting Sober?

I am really interested in the positive health benefits after alcoholics quit drinking. I will tell you about myself....

When I was at the last stage of my drinking (age 25), I had gained 40 lbs, was experiencing digestive problems that most people experience after age 60, liver was swollen, no energy, bloated. I thought I had cancer because of some of the symptoms I experienced with my digestive issues. Psychologically, anxiety, depression, hypochondriasis. It was really the worst place I had been in my life. I felt terrible all the time.

Turns out, within a month of quitting drinking, all of these things disappeared. I was still tired and irritable, but the major health concerns seemed to heal themselves. Did anyone have similar experiences? Also, I wonder what it is about alcohol that messes up our body so much?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Date: 01-01-2012

Remember, alcohol is a poison, so it will continue to damage your body over time. Thankfully, the human body is remarkable and often heals itself over time. With the exception of liver sclerosis or cancer, the body is quite efficient at reversing the effects of alcohol-related damage.

If you are concerned with your health, seeing a doctor would be your best bet. A simple blood test can tell a great deal about your health, specifically when dealing with the liver.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol is poison, that's why it messes people up physically

Glad you are enjoying one of the biggest benefits of sobriety
Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses, you two! My blood tests are fine...but I would have never expected that when drinking because I felt so awful all the time, even as a young person. I am just so curious about hearing how other alcoholics' health situations turned around once they stopped drinking.

Thank you so much for your comments :0)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol is poison, tru dat. It is so deceiving.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Total dehydration, wastes essential vitamins, destroys the brain and organs....
Basically it turns us into the walking dead. ZOMBIES that crave alcohol instead of brains.

I know I am much healthier now just after 3 months than when I was in the daily hell of drinking and I keep that knowledge fresh in my mind everyday.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Coconut61

Specifically for me the health benefits were numerable and apparent. After three years I`m still newly amazed at some.

Shaking and sweating from withdrawal was one of the first to go.

The black marks under my eyes disappeared.

My vision improved after about 6 months, new glasses needed.

Normal(ahem) bowel habits.

Steadier on my feet, balance returned. This is still noticeably improving.

Clearer thought process with less anxiety.

I`m able to make long range goals and think through difficult projects more readily.

My value to my employer has increased, resulting in a promotion and more money, always a good thing.

Being aware of these positive changes has helped to make it easier to stay sober. Good luck to you.

Ron
Old 01-11-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Scolova View Post
Basically it turns us into the walking dead. ZOMBIES that crave alcohol instead of brains.
LMAO......That about sums it up!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i can only agree with what is posted above. it's amazing that i hav lowered my bp enough to come off of meds, no more constant GERD, heartburn, vision improved, hair grew back, facial redness and bloat are gone, (no more booze cheeks) and i'm no longer flirting with type 2 diabetes...all those empty alcohol sugar calories.

the financial benefits help me mentally too...what could you do with the $$ you spent on booze every month? (i turned it into double principle payments on my mortgage.)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Date: 01-01-2012

Here are some physical symptoms that have disappeared since I quit drinking:

-Acid reflux (when it was really severe, I would vomit)
-Red, swollen nose and cheeks
-Sore/itchy liver
-Glossy eyes (even when I wasn't drinking)

Even more than the physical, my emotional health has skyrocketed since quiting drinking. The depression and "brain fog" that goes along with heavy, daily drinking has subsided considerably since I quit drinking, and it's only been 11 days.

From past experience, it usually takes 60-90 days to experience all the mental and physical benefits of quitting alcohol.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I watched The Doctors today or Dr. Oz. Lots of good info today!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My long-term memory has improved a TON. My short-term has too, but I am constantly amazed at how I will randomly remember things from my childhood that I never would have been able to recall when I was a drunk.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Heavy alcohol use affects every part of the body in a negative way. That's all the information I need.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Some of the psychological and physical changes in my experience since I stopped drinking include:
- much less feelings of anxiety
- less depression
- clearer mind
- lots more energy
- no more nausea/queasiness
- no more headaches
- significant weight loss and no more bloating
- clearer eyes and skin
- no more of that horrible feeling where I used to feel soaked in booze, I used to feel like I reeked of it and the whole inside of my body was saturated with it. I now feel much 'cleaner'.

Yes its a poison alright.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a few weeks sober now for the first time in a long time (yes!!!!) and I have to say that I feel so much better I can hardly believe I ever allowed myself to drink heavily in the first place.

The main issues I used to have:

Inevitable, unavoidable weight gain (30-40+ pounds as the drinking ramped up)

Perpetual feeling of quasi-hangover, all day, every day (fatigue, nausea, etc)

Decreased energy, self esteem, and sex drive.

Dry skin, hives (still not sure if this was related to drinking or not).

Acid reflux and stomach/digestive issues.

And a lot of other irritating little things.

One thing I was curious about this time as I quit was ... would I be able to tell when all the fat had cleared out of my liver?

And actually, I think the answer has been YES... approaching a couple weeks, I suddenly felt as though my metabolism, sex drive etc all improved dramatically, as though the blood filtering process had been drastically improved somehow. I'm assuming this must mean that my liver is now much clearer and better able to do its job.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been sober for almost a month and I can tell a huge difference in myself. I really didn't realize just much misery I was putting myself through. Yesterday I visited my best friend and she mentioned how much better I looked, i.e. face not sunken in anymore and just a general appearance of being healthy. It made me feel great to know that I'm improving from the inside out!

I've maybe lost a few pounds, my skin looks pink and not ashen, much more motivation, more attention to detail, no more unaccounted for bruises, normal bathroom habits, and waking up feeling rested instead of ill.

There are probably many more health benefits but these are the ones that I am most excited about
Old 01-15-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet - but does anyone else suffer from psoriasis? I know mine has almost completely cleared up since I've stopped drinking. Talk about a health benefit!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Here's a thread from a little while ago that you might like to read http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-alcohol.html

This was my contribution... goes a bit beyond the health side in the original post, including the changes I'd noticed in my relationships with family, my partner, money, friendships etc, but I'll just post the health bit again. I wrote a diary entry of all the things that were wrong with me while I was drinking... it's crazy to read it now. I remember in the final couple of months the dehydration got so bad that no matter how much water I tried to drink or how much moisturiser I used my skin (especially my lips) was dried up and cracked. I was getting scabs from where the cracks were splitting the skin, made me look like I had cold sores or herpes or something.

My experience, looking from a practical view, not a spiritual view.

Health
No more dry skin, no more puffy/bloated faced mornings, no need to use red-eye drops every day, normal toilet behaviour, not munching painkillers non-stop due to headaches and body wariness, no mysterious bruises/cuts/bumps etc, sleep finally starting to improve - but that took a while. No aches in my sides or random sore muscles.
Oh, and I've also lost 10kgs (20lbs or so) since quitting, as well as lowered my Blood pressure from 170/110 to normal. It's been over three months now, and I can drop off to sleep within 30 minutes every night without a problem (unless I load up on caffeine!). I NEVER thought that would be possible!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think my coworkers have noticed that I don't whine every single day about feeling tired, headachey, or needing a nap. I always said it's "not enough sleep" instead of the truth (bottle of vodka the night before) but I'm pretty sure they think I've had a miraculous health improvement.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi there. Well, it could have been the withdrawal stage for you as you try to remove such bad habit, which you successfully gone through over the years.

Everyone will go through certain withdrawal stages, and that is mostly the hardest part of changing.