Notices

What is life like without alcohol?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is life like without alcohol?

I'd like to hear honest answers from everyone - People who have quit drinking and people whom aspire to one day rid alcohol from their system. What is life like without alcohol? For those still in the process of banishing the demon, what can life be without alcohol?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's an honest answer I wrote earlier today Tyler:

I've moved on from a bad, toxic, relationship I had for 20 years.

I've learned a lot of things and grown.

I've been given many gifts in my recovery, not the least of which is a lasting joy and a sense of peace in my life, no matter what might happen on any given day.

I'm comfortable with how I am, and I can look at myself in the eyes in the mirror again.

My life is the best it's ever been.
I have peace of mind, I'm not struggling with anything.

And all I had to do was give up drinking

I'm not missing drinking - in any way shape or form.
Like I said to the other poster - I hope you'll decide to give yourself the chance to experience this yourself.

D
Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying life without alcohol even though it's still basically a 'new' thing for me. I'm getting so much DONE..stuff I've wanted to do around the house for months is getting done quickly. Being able to do things before 10am is great!

On the flip side, I've removed myself from situations leading to drinking, which means I'm a hermit and have no social life which sucks...and finding non-enabling or non-drinking friends is tough these days..

Matt
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What's life like without alcohol...it's normal, it's the way most people live.
No hangover, no spending $ on booze, less anxiety, better relationships, more social, more energy, better looks, feeling healthy. The majority of society does live by when they are going to have their next drink, we do and there is so much more to life than just the next drink or next buzz, we just have to be strong enough and patient enough to get to that point.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My life is so much better without alcohol. All my anxiety, depression and paranoia have totally disappeared. Instead of laying in bed, hungover and dreading the alarm clock, I'm up bright & early every morning, ready to face the day. Instead of constantly feeling shame and wondering if anyone knows how much I really drink, I'm now quietly confident and much more productive in all areas of my life. Instead of wishing I was dead, I'm now thankful for every new sober day.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm coming up on two years sober and it's wonderful! No more feeling like sh!t in the morning, no more waking up hating myself and wishing I were dead, no more risk-taking, both legal and health risks, no more money wasted on alcohol.

I have my self respect back as well as the respect of my kids. I take care of my responsibilities. I can't begin to list all the good things about living sober.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Better. Simpler.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It's only been (almost) 3 years for me, but I honestly can't remember what life was like WITH alcohol. It's a blur, and full of deceit, shame, regret. My life now is beautiful..honest, well intended, I'm excited with every day, and the relationships in my life have thrived both personally and professionally. My health is sound, my mind is clear, my future feels exciting. I sleep well, remember every moment, I'm a good mommy and wife. I go to bed each day proud of the day I've had and thrilled to experience the next one. I never ever felt like that when alcohol was in my life.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's hard as hell. It's like sticking a harpoon in a big angry whale, getting yanked out of the boat and holding onto the rope as it drags me under the water, only to resurface just in time for me to catch a breath before going under again.

I'm seeing and learning things about myself that I never imagined. I find deep, honest support from panhandlers and disdainful ambivalence from people who have invested thousands in me. It's an upside down black-is-white now type of ride. It is NOT for wussies.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry you're having a tough time, gaffo. You've only been at this a few weeks; I found it took a bit longer to find my stride. Hang in there—it gets easier.

Tyler, that's a fantastic question.

It's empowering, because now I have the freedom to go anywhere, and do anything, at any time of day. My schedule and activities are no longer dictated by alcohol.

It's satisfying, because I go to bed feeling proud of myself, and I wake up feeling hopeful.

It's simpler, because even though I still have to face the ups and downs of everyday life, I can do so without shame, resentment, and the endless parade of crises that flowed out of those bottles.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

In the beginning it was VERY hard for me following my physical w/d's. A lot of anxiety and depression followed on top of having dual diagnosis'. The thought of never drinking again, at the time, seemed impossible and I wasn't sure if I had the strength to do so. As time has passed, it has become easier but there are still urges - they are fleeting but there presence is noticeable. My urges are greatly spaced but when they do come, it is a result of being incredibly stressed out more than usual. Most of the time it is because my Bipolar symptoms aren't being managed.

I've struggled with addiction for more than 10 years and I have replaced one substance with another. After I gave up drinking, my pill misuse/abuse escalated and became out of control real quick. Suffering from several mental illnesses are the real reasons why I've struggled with addiction. I try to escape from myself. I am my own worst enemy. I have demons haunting me everyday from my childhood past. I am currently in a very dark place mentally but I have managed NOT to abuse my pain medication ( I also suffer from several chronic pain conditions which only further complicate my addiction).

It is possible but can be very difficult esp. in the beginning. I strongly recommend having a solid support system, it is essential for most of us.

I am still early into my recovery from abusing my pain medication but I am doing well despite being in a horrible, depressed state.

Best wishes

Jess
Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I quit drinking many years ago, and I'm going to be brutally honest here.

People are going to tell you that life without alcohol is better. And it is, but it is not PERFECT. It is not painless or euphoric.

Life without alcohol is life. It is painful, wonderful, terrible, incredible, boring, exciting...all the things that life....just....IS. The thing that is different about life now as opposed to when I was drinking, is that no matter what happens, I get to experience it honestly. If I have to experience grief, I do it without numbing myself, and I get through it. If I am fortunate enough to experience joy, I get to do that without blunting the beauty of it with booze.

Life today is REAL.

I like it that way.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I came across as pretty negative before. I didn't mean to. I can to be pretty dramatic.

All I know is early sobriety and I'm further down the road than I've ever been before. Liberating my brain and body from alcohol has been fantastic in a scary foreign sort of way. I'm a car guy so I would think of it as having my '77 Chevy pick up suddenly replaced by this year's Ferrari...what the heck is THAT doing in my driveway...how do I drive this thing...where to?

If I take a drink I'll drive that Ferrari straight into the tree across the street! So for now I won't.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Talking

Its been many years since I drank and been drunk. My sober life started with AA, then a supervised detox and a rehab stay, and as I slowly discovered my own understanding of what spiritual living means for me, my real life without alcohol absolutely and fundamentally changed me into the sober man I am today. No regrets.

As others are saying, life is still life, the yin and the yang, good and bad, success and failure, etc.

The other thing about being sober is all the universe has changed with me. Of course, lol, a more correct way of saying the same thing is my perceptions and my awareness, my experiences, -- of the world and the people -- have changed.

From my viewpoint, this world is not the same hateful world I was drunk and dying in -- this world is alive with love and life and fellowship!

Of course, its really just my perceptions, but its also real, those changes, so life without alcohol didn't just change me -- everything changed as I changed. At the end of the day, all we have is our experiences that define our realities.

From my experiences of life without alcohol love has conquered evil, happiness is real, i am lovable, i love others, humanity is not doomed, i am not alone, hope is real, faith works, sanity is restored, pain can be endured, heroes are real, surrender wins the day, humility earns forgiveness, fidelity is its own reward, friendships are precious, time is relative, and on and on...

The single totally awesome thing though is this: life is absolutely worth all the trouble of living it each and every day -- and for me that is the gift that was promised me if i would just stop drinking and get on with living a sober spiritual life.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's is kind of a loaded question. Depending on the level of addiction.
Someone that seldom drinks wouldn't think much about it.
Myself,I was addicted early in my "drinking career". I was a 5 oclock drunk. Meaning I always went to work. I never called in sick. Not once. But when I got off work,the first place I went everyday was the beer store. Weekends were the same. I would rush to get all the chores done I piled up through the week,because I was too drunk to do them. And around 5 pop a top and get drunk.
Every morning, I would swear to stop. I can't go on like this. Until about lunch time. After lunch I would start feeling better,and then watching the clock for "beer thirty". It truly was like being in prison because I was doing something every day that I really didn't want to do. Even walking in the beer store, I knew every day I didn't want to do it,but did it anyway.
So what is life like without booze?
To sum it up.
FREEDOM!
Fred
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Life without alcohol is life without alcohol.

Being sober means I am fully present in my life. When things are stressful I handle it instead of getting drunk. When I am sad...I let myself be sad instead if getting drunk. When I am happy, I am sincerely happy instead of high on alcohol. When I get bored I think if something to do instead of getting drunk.

When I go to a party I have interesting conversations with people...instead of talking with another drunk about nothing that I can remember the next day.

When I have a fancy meal I savor the food instead of using the food as an excuse to drink.

It's not always easy or perfect but life with alcohol was always a grey place...my life is now filled with color, lights and darks.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"What is life like without alcohol?"

Wonderful.

See for yourself. The best way to predict your future is to create it.

We get to create new lives. To change for the better. Join us.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Life is wonderful when you're doing something that doesn't require you to drink. For me, drinking is something I do when I'm at a BBQ or a club but if I'm out hiking, enjoying the scenery, hanging out with families; I don't drink. It is a big problem if you're out hiking and you stole away a moment for a sip. That is some crazy addiction problem right there.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
instant

I am only six months sober. There is no way I would want to go back to the miserable existence of being trapped in the torment and anguish of the struggle. I was becoming a hollowed out, damaged person.

The first two months were challenging and there were hurdles. I was emotionally and mentally unstable for several months. I am still noticing major improvements, but now I have peace of mind, and freedom. I now realise that what I have to give up is the notion that alcohol will dissolve my negative emotions, but like other posters, I now believe there is value is being real.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

A lot less dramatic and a lot less traumatic. Why don't you try it out?