Notices

Quitting alcohol - advice needed

Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I tried to taper off also and it probably does work for some people but I would agree and seek a professional. Good Luck
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Step 1 "We admitted that we were powerless over alcohol-"

Why would you try to manage the unmanageable ?? Do you think you are unique .. you can WIN ?
I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Bob
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think you're tapering off slowly enough to avoid nasty withdrawal symptoms, but that's just my opinion, I'm not a doctor, and nobody on here's advice is a good substitute for a doctor (no offence to anyone on here that might be a doctor). So far you seem to be doing good as sticking to the tapering, which is good It's still not guaranteed to work though.

I had no luck with tapering off myself, I'd have a drink or two then say 'f*ck it' and get drunk. I could only keep my determination to get sober while I was sober.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Whenever I tried tapering or moderating I would think of drinking all the time. It's like having a song you don't like stuck in your head.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober Date: 01-01-2012

One 750ml bottle of wine contains five servings of alcohol (5 glasses of wine). Two 750ml bottles per night would be equivalent to drinking 10 beers/shots/glasses of wine per night, which is definitely an unsafe drinking level.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow, what an amazingly supportive community. Glad I joined.

For those who are asking, when I say a bottle of wine it is a 750ml bottle (13% alcohol) which equates to 8 standard drinks.

Update:

Night 1 had 1 beer.

Night 2 had 3 beers.

Night 3 (last night) - Get this! After 4 beers I convinced myself that 5 was ok because I had been under the other two nights (obviously it's not but you know how easy it is to talk yourself into it). Now here's the kicker. So I cracked my 5th and took a sip. Put it on the floor and went for another sip a couple of minutes later and as I did felt something foreign in my mouth (like a bit of soggy bread or something). Now this is no word of a lie, I pull it out of my mouth and it is a cockroach!!! Still alive too, legs squirming and everything. If that is not a sign then I don't know what is. Lucky I am not squimish as I told my girlfriend and she almost threw up just from the story. Ha ha, what a trip right? I tipped the rest of the beer out and went to bed with a smile on my face. So 4 beers + 1 sip for night 3.

Night 4 - just finishing off my 3rd beer and am off to bed.

So all good so far
Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

That would turn me off drinking lol