Notices

Resisting is Difficult

Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That is Spectacular!!! 21 day!! Congrats to you...

And one more thing very important when you feel like drinking slow down breathe deep and repeat this phrase:

LET'S GO CAPS!!

until the urge subsides..

Seriously Congrats to you and keep it up!!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by bmwcycle View Post
That is Spectacular!!! 21 day!! Congrats to you...

And one more thing very important when you feel like drinking slow down breathe deep and repeat this phrase:

LET'S GO CAPS!!

until the urge subsides..

Seriously Congrats to you and keep it up!!

lol, i bleed orange and black.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

i had a hard time staying sober until i wanted to be sober more than i wanted to drink. then it was not a problem anymore.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
i am a Devils fan.. need i say more? Congrats on your sober time FlyerFan! it gets easier with time.. but, it does take time..
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for having a great sense of humor.

All my in laws are from Philly and even though we disagree I have mad respect for their loyalty and the fan base is amazing, true fans..

Anyway keep it up and I hope that the Flyers get to the conference championship and lose to the caps is 7.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good work FlyerFan, keep it up.

Oh yeah - go Bruins, that would be the - STANLEY CUP CHAMPION BOSTON BRUINS!

Sorry all, hadda do it... just hadda.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I don't want go to go AA. I have terrible anxiety attacks, I can't do this face to face with people. That's why I came looking for this website. I don't feel my problem was as severe as that, but I do know that I have a problem and the will power to stop it. I just need support from people who have been in my shoes.

As long as I keep myself busy I'll be alright. Im currently working 50 hours a week and taking online college courses after that when I get home so I have pretty much only 2 to 3 hours to myself each day and I've started filling that with books and movies to occupy my mind. So far it's been working great.
I wish you all the best with that decision ...

Bob R.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

'As long as I keep myself busy I'll be alright. Im currently working 50 hours a week and taking online college courses after that when I get home so I have pretty much only 2 to 3 hours to myself each day and I've started filling that with books and movies to occupy my mind. So far it's been working great.'

Glad it's working great. Some people have a hard time and find resisting difficult.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats flyer fan on your sober time!

God bless.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I wish you all the best with that decision ...

Bob R.

Thank you. So far so good.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are doing ok...
Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

"I don't want go to go AA. I have terrible anxiety attacks, I can't do this face to face with people."

You do understand that most AAs feel exactly the same way as you do ?! I had terrible anxiety attacks too, for years. When I went and sat at an AA table and said that I was shaking and scared, everyone there smiled and said that they felt the same way in the beginning !!
How would you like to live your life without those debilitating anxiety feelings?.... you can take them to a meeting and leave them there if you want.
We always judge our "insides" by others "outsides". They look so calm and collected and I'm shaking in my boots. When you talk to the others, you will find most of them are shaking too... then I can forgive myself and work on overcoming my fears instead of giving in to them.

If you were hungry and standing on the street in front of a fine restaurant, but were afraid to go in, you could starve to death in the shadow of the building while the sweet aromas of the food inside filled your nostrils. Do you get my drift ??

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sometimes I find being sober around drunks at a party is actually a deterrent for me. Seeing signs of intoxication in others --the sloppiness, flushed face, lack of coordination, slurred speech--repulses me, because I realize that I have been that person many many times and have looked just as sloppy. It makes me glad I'm not drinking at that moment. And leaving a party stone cold sober, seeing the drunks trying to get in their 1 (or 2 or 3) "for the road", knowing that in a few hours their heads will be pounding and they'll be swimming in regret is truly empowering. I get such a feeling of relief seeing this and realizing that I don't have to experience that, at least for that night. It feels like freedom.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewDay11 View Post
Sometimes I find being sober around drunks at a party is actually a deterrent for me. Seeing signs of intoxication in others --the sloppiness, flushed face, lack of coordination, slurred speech--repulses me, because I realize that I have been that person many many times and have looked just as sloppy. It makes me glad I'm not drinking at that moment. And leaving a party stone cold sober, seeing the drunks trying to get in their 1 (or 2 or 3) "for the road", knowing that in a few hours their heads will be pounding and they'll be swimming in regret is truly empowering. I get such a feeling of relief seeing this and realizing that I don't have to experience that, at least for that night. It feels like freedom.
They told me early on that if I hung around the barbershop long enough that I'd end up getting a haircut.
For me, hanging around drunks at a party is playing Russian Roulette.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Bob R.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I agree with LaFemme and BrandNewDay. I just don't view alcohol the same way I did. I don't view "me" the same way I did either. Zbear touched on something too...the resisting/persisiting thing. Learning about the Buddhist concept of non-attachment has helped me immensly. Realizing that it wasn't the craving itself that was causing my suffering it was fighting the craving that was causing my suffering. Learning to let feelings/urges/whatever pass through without acting on them is what worked for me.
Hang in FlyerFan. I'm glad you're here.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by 2granddaughters
They told me early on that if I hung around the barbershop long enough that I'd end up getting a haircut.
lol Now that I don't drink, I am the one holding the scissors.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I don't want go to go AA. I have terrible anxiety attacks, I can't do this face to face with people. That's why I came looking for this website. I don't feel my problem was as severe as that, but I do know that I have a problem and the will power to stop it. I just need support from people who have been in my shoes.

As long as I keep myself busy I'll be alright. Im currently working 50 hours a week and taking online college courses after that when I get home so I have pretty much only 2 to 3 hours to myself each day and I've started filling that with books and movies to occupy my mind. So far it's been working great.
It's ok not to go to AA and it's ok not to use face to face support. Lots of people don't go to AA and lots of people get sober using only online support--and you'll find many of those people right here!

You may also find that the SMART Recovery program resonates with you. SMART is big on online support, and there are at least two meetings online every day. Also, SMART focuses on personal empowerment and practical tools for achieving long-term and contented abstinence.

If you're interested, take a look at the SMART Recovery website: http://www.smartrecovery.org/
Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

For me, hanging around drunks at a party is playing Russian Roulette.
Bob R.
I hear ya, but I'm not referring to hanging out in bars or drinking parties. I'm referring to family functions that I can't escape...birthday's, thanksgiving, Christmas. I'm not the only alcoholic in the family There's always a few that are drinking/drunk, and when I'm not one of them wow it's an eye opener.

Funny thing is, for me, my drinking problem for a long while has not been at social events or parties, its been when I'm alone, getting into that zone, that party of one escape in my office. With music and the internet, of course.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

"I don't want go to go AA. I have terrible anxiety attacks, I can't do this face to face with people."

You do understand that most AAs feel exactly the same way as you do ?! I had terrible anxiety attacks too, for years. When I went and sat at an AA table and said that I was shaking and scared, everyone there smiled and said that they felt the same way in the beginning !!
How would you like to live your life without those debilitating anxiety feelings?.... you can take them to a meeting and leave them there if you want.
We always judge our "insides" by others "outsides". They look so calm and collected and I'm shaking in my boots. When you talk to the others, you will find most of them are shaking too... then I can forgive myself and work on overcoming my fears instead of giving in to them.

If you were hungry and standing on the street in front of a fine restaurant, but were afraid to go in, you could starve to death in the shadow of the building while the sweet aromas of the food inside filled your nostrils. Do you get my drift ??

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.

Yes but it's not just about being an alcoholic. I've had the anxiety problems since i was a small child, so AA isn't going to make them go away, and I refuse to see a shrink because I'll spend a fortune for them to tell me i have issues. lol

Since i found this website I have felt so much better about myself. I attend the online chats and meetings and I have made a few friends here. It really is working out great. I work 50-55 hours a week and I go to school during the night so it's also very convenient I can just log right in any time I feel insecure and you guys all remind me why I need to stay strong.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
i had a hard time staying sober until i wanted to be sober more than i wanted to drink. then it was not a problem anymore.
I think this is a brilliant quote and sums it up.