Notices

Moderation Drinking Websites

Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moderation Drinking Websites

It's already known and proven that alcoholics cannot drink in moderation. So, what is the point of these websites? To whom are they targeted?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
These sites and organizations are based on the dubious premise that quitting drinking is too extreme, and that proven problem drinkers don't need to take such a drastic step. Essentially, they are targeting problem drinkers who want to keep drinking without the problems it usually entails. There are, of course, many such drinkers. Throw in the enthusiastic backing of a few psychologists, as was the case with Moderation Management, some statistics about how some people pull off drinking again without getting into big trouble, and you have a very good chance of finding many takers among people already impassioned to continue drinking.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Essentially, they are targeting problem drinkers who want to keep drinking without the problems it usually entails. There are, of course, many such drinkers.
Those sound like alcoholics in denial to me.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Essentially, they are targeting problem drinkers who want to keep drinking without the problems it usually entails.
Me, me, me! That's what I wanted to do. I tried it for a long time too. I had to prove to myself, over and over again, that I was not able to manage my drinking. So, yeah, I suppose there's a huge target audience for sites/books/info about Moderation Drinking.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Many alcoholics, myself included, did not want to believe I could not handle drinking alcohol. We will try just about anything to prove, both to ourselves and others, that we are not alcoholics, we just drink a little too much sometimes. We want to believe we can control our alcohol intake, and sites such as those you mention, help us to carry on that belief a little longer.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, not many people can actually do moderation successfully?

What about people who binge drink and guzzle beer to the point of getting drunk in college, who then graduate college and need to transition from college-style drinking to normal drinking?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I have no idea how many people are able to do moderation successfully .... does it really matter? I know I can't. That's what I care about today.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Those sound like alcoholics in denial to me.
To tell anyone who has a history of problems stemming from their drinking to keep drinking is just bad advice. It doesn't matter if they are alcoholics or not.

What about people who binge drink and guzzle beer to the point of getting drunk in college, who then graduate college and need to transition from college-style drinking to normal drinking?
Such people certainly do exist, but they do not learn how to drink moderately from a support group, a web site, or a therapist. They simply stop getting drunk all the time and instead just have a few when appropriate, all on their own.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Choublak - I drank excessively in college, more then my alcoholic husband. When I grew up, got bored, and began building a life that had other priorities - I just eased off and moderated. I didn't need help, or a moderation website, or anything else. I just didn't drink as much because I didn't want to. There was no 'plan'. I didn't even think about it. I drink socially now and have for many many years. The amount I drink just is not something I think about, or plan, or ponder. But I'm not an alcoholic. I don't imagine many non-alcoholics go looking for help with moderation.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
High on Life

Sobriety is a journey not a destination. For many people, moderation is just one rode they have to travel until they come to grips with their alcoholism. At least it was for me. Some people who are not really alcoholics and just heavy drinkers, find success in moderation management. Everyone is not the same. Different strokes for different folks.

Alcoholics like to group anybody who is problem drinker into one group. IMHO they need to get over that, and just focus on themselves.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I drank excessively in college, more then my alcoholic husband.
You're saying that when you first met your AH, YOU were actually drinking more than HIM?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Think of it as supply and demand.

A very long time ago there were people who smoked a lot and would say 'We don't drink or do no drugs'.

Some of the smokers wanted to try to drink some but couldn't seem to pull it off. One lady said 'just drink this much and no more and you'll be peachy', even though she couldn't seem to do that. But, since it was just what the parched crowd wanted to hear they started trying to do that, feeling good that they were doing it under the auspices of an authority with a book and everything, but with few exceptions they couldn't do it any better than the lady could.

Some of those decided the problem were the suggested limits were wrong and too confining for people who REALLY liked to drink so a few of them decided that if they can drink like pigs without wrecking the car like the night before, it's progress and all progress is a good thing. Even if they did wreck the car it's still ok because they wanted better for themselves before wrecking the car, which is better than before and better is better. Ya better agree, too.

A few of the old smokers decided they understood some things the others didn't and when very new set up programs that other new people would like because they didn't contain various things that customarily are bothersome to new people. Unfortunately so much bothers new people that it was difficult to fashion a truly non-offensive program that was universally ok, so one after another as time went by tried to get a new thing going with less and less viewpoints or suggestions that anyone who was shaking off a horrible drunk might get jumpy about. Not an easy task.

As the process of refining recovery groups continues, the continued watering down of the soup will progress until there isn't much left at the bottom of the bowl to offend even the hypersensitive with severe drinking-related nerve damage.

In my estimation the ultimate refinement will arrive when the newest group removes anything that relates to recovery or sobriety with all other approaches including moderation lightly referenced but never suggested or spoken of directly or specifically.

The meetings would consist of each member in turn stating vaguely that they 'were or were not doing something that some might say is working after a fashion, sorta', after which all the other group members will applaud and whistle.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes.

In hindsight it looked different on the 'inside' if that makes any sense. I was partying and he was coping. Even all those years ago his drinking had control of him and not the other way around. I didn't see that at the time.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Yes.

In hindsight it looked different on the 'inside' if that makes any sense. I was partying and he was coping. Even all those years ago his drinking had control of him and not the other way around. I didn't see that at the time.
But back then he appeared to be drinking like a non-alcoholic?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes at the time I thought it was w/in 'normal' but I have come to realize I had a very skewed vision of what normal drinking looked like. Today I would not think it was normal.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Why do we assume that people who go to MM are "alcoholics in denial"? There are absolutely people who have had drinking problems who are able to moderate. My gracious, there are threads galore on this very site where folks decry the presence of people who aren't "real" alcoholics at certain recovery meetings!

Personally, I see no reason why people who are able to moderate their drinking should not have a support group to assist them in their goal.

I actually tried MM, and have nothing but good to say about it. Not because it helped me, but because it didn't. I could NOT DO what they asked, which helped me to see that, for me, moderation was not an appropriate way to address my drinking. I found this helpful, and I've never seen it as a reason to conclude that the group should be disbanded or that it could not be helpful to someone who was able to moderate.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're saying that when you first met your AH, YOU were actually drinking more than HIM?
Its really not that weird. I have so many friends from college that drank soooo much more back then. More than I (the alcoholic). I see them now and I always hear "I just can't drink like that anymore". They grew up. I developed alcoholism.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

removed
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Why do we assume that people who go to MM are "alcoholics in denial"? There are absolutely people who have had drinking problems who are able to moderate. My gracious, there are threads galore on this very site where folks decry the presence of people who aren't "real" alcoholics at certain recovery meetings!

Personally, I see no reason why people who are able to moderate their drinking should not have a support group to assist them in their goal.

I actually tried MM, and have nothing but good to say about it. Not because it helped me, but because it didn't. I could NOT DO what they asked, which helped me to see that, for me, moderation was not an appropriate way to address my drinking. I found this helpful, and I've never seen it as a reason to conclude that the group should be disbanded or that it could not be helpful to someone who was able to moderate.
What a great post OTT. I couldn't agree more. I had a similar experience with a therapist and trying to moderate. I think if the community spent less time trying to purge fake from real alcoholics and castigating programs not in accordance with their views, and more time embracing problem drinkers from across the spectrum we would all benefit.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Why do we assume that people who go to MM are "alcoholics in denial"?
I don't assume that they are alcoholics in denial. I assume that people who go to MM have a proven history of absurd, possibly dangerous drunken behavior, and that they want to keep drinking without getting into big trouble. The desire to continue drinking in spite of the obvious risks of doing so is universal among addicted people. It is, in fact, the cardinal sign of substance addiction.