Notices

Me

Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me

I try and rationalize why I do what I do: More outgoing, more creative, more fun. In the end, I know none of that is true. Maybe I am trying to re-live the ultra exciting life I had in high school? Either way, the real world doesn't take too kindly to reminiscence of past childish lives. I need to make some serious changes in my life, and change has always been hard for me. It's always been hard for me to admit I have problems, and when I am sober again in eight hours, it will be hard for me to remember typing this. So I ask myself, where do I look for help? Why does life only make sense to me when I am drunk? Why do I only have fun and enjoy life drunk, and why does everything seem more real when I am drunk?

I hope to answer these questions soon.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Why does life only make sense to me when I am drunk? Why do I only have fun and enjoy life drunk, and why does everything seem more real when I am drunk?

I hope to answer these questions soon.
Because you're an alcoholic and alcohol will give you anything to keep you drinking. If alcohol could buy you dinner and comp your room it would.

Stop drinking tonight. Go to bed. Drink plenty of water.

Start fresh tomorrow - Day One, with a capital O. Make it count this time, you CAN do it.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Why does life only make sense to me when I am drunk? Why do I only have fun and enjoy life drunk, and why does everything seem more real when I am drunk?
Tyler, give that head of yours a good shake. You can't be serious about these benefits of drinking, because NO ONE HERE will agree with you. Nope, nada, not nohow.

What you are experiencing is the effects of your addiction, that self-destroying desire to be buzzed. That desire, and we all have it, will have you sell everything you have and everything you can be just so it can continue to keep that buzz going. It is also almost impossible to see this when you are hungover, your brain is trying to deal with withdrawal of some kind.

Get sober for a week or two, and revisit this post of yours. If you still agree and believe that life is better with booze, I will eat my hat. Heck, I will eat your hat.

Get back to me on this one, it is hard to get good hat anymore.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gone In

Have you taken any action to try and get sober? What's your plan? You've identified the problem, so what are you going to do about it?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I try and rationalize why I do what I do: More outgoing, more creative, more fun.
I also rationalized creativity alongside my drinking. I'm an avid reader, and many of the authors I enjoy were avid alcoholics. I was always envious of Bukowski for some reason. I would drink thinking I could write some really edgy poetry. I believed this for a long time.

Eventually I would just drink without actually writing. Never happened; just drank and felt angry.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Because alcohol is an addictive substance. When you're not drinking alcohol you feel lousy...your body and your mind are craving the poison. When you give in to the craving and drink...you actually do feel normal, because your body and your mind have been satisfied.

If you can break the addiction you will eventually begin to feel normal all the time and never have to go through the vicious cycle of drink - hangover - crave - repeat.

Now that I haven't been drinking for 6 months I get to enjoy that feeling of normal all the time...I wake up with it, I go to work with it, I feel it when I'm playing with my kids, I have it late at night when I'm watching a movie and I have it right now typing this note at 11 am on a Friday.

You can have it too.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why do I only have fun and enjoy life drunk, and why does everything seem more real when I am drunk?
Are you really having fun? Are you really enjoying life drunk? If this was really the case then ask yourself this...

...what brought you here?

The truth is, like most of us that felt this way at some point, the only part of you that is truly happy is part of your brain which is having it's addiction fuelled. If you can find the courage to address your issues you will find true peace and happiness. True story.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I try and rationalize...
Why don't you try and be empirical?

I tried to think my way out... My answers were found in doing.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I abhor alcoholism.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

If you're so drunk that you won't remember posting on a website when you wake up do you really consider that "fun"?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

You seriously need to stop drinkin and get out of your house coz its gonna kill you one day

We all know its hard to quit the drink we've all been there, but think positive to live its self and what you could achieve without booze bein your main priority your LIFE is your main priority and if you carry on drinkin you'll be dead - not meanin to sound harsh but that's all alcohol is doin to you its killin your insides and makin you wanna be housebound...

Go and see your local GP and ask for help with drink and ask for antidepressents , it'll help..
Old 12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Either way, the real world doesn't take too kindly to reminiscence of past childish lives.
The world becomes ever less tolerant of alcoholic excess as one ages.

Why does life only make sense to me when I am drunk?
If you have been drinking for a while, your body has become acclimated to the constant presence of alcohol. You will have to give it some time to re-acclimate to the absence of alcohol. I'm not saying it will take years, but it won't happen overnight, either.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wil

How old are you Tyler? Let me guess...because you most likely liked fight club and that was probably a time when you were happy, most likely a high schooler at that point. Are you 30?
Old 12-16-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi!

It took me a bit to get used to being sober. Those early weeks were all about sleeping a lot and although I didn't want to drink, my life looked pretty grey. Bit by bit I started adding color back into it and now I know what life is supposed to be like.

I hope you read this thread when you get sober tomorrow, there's a lot of good advice here.

Oh, and I have just finished my most successful and creative year of my life (I'm an artist) and I've been sober for all of it
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tyler
It seems like you are coming here because you want to quit but you need to do it for yourself. All any of us can give you is support. It does get better once you get started.
Good Luck.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarah78 View Post
You're in a haze, under the deception of alcohol. Life can be enjoyed without it and certainly not just more real, but REAL PERIOD.

WAKE UP!

hope you figure it out...once you become sober for a length of time, that's when reality really hits you..most of the time pretty hard too...
Sober for a length of time - I only drink like 3 or 4 days a week, I'm not yet an avid, hourly drinker. So does this advice still apply? Because I rally enjoy and appreciate the way you put it, makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wil View Post
How old are you Tyler? Let me guess...because you most likely liked fight club and that was probably a time when you were happy, most likely a high schooler at that point. Are you 30?
I am 26, and I did not see Fight Club until I was 22. I applaud your evaluation, fallible as it is.

My name TylerDurden isn't just reminiscent of the movie Fight Club. It is because I am Tyler Durden - a drunk at night, normal by 10 A.M.

Surely you understand
Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Sarah's advice definitely applies.

There's a difference between being 'sober', in the sense Sarah's using it, and being in between binges.

The way I see it, Tyler you can do one of two things - you can keep doing what you're doing - only ever coming here after a few drinks, philosophizing about your life, the universe and everything, and making arguments for why you can't change.....

or: you can think about the life you want, and the person you want to be - and accept the certainty that change is required for you to get there.

The sooner you start the changes, the sooner change can happen.

I wish you luck and courage, Tyler

D
Old 12-17-2011, 11:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Wil

I was the same way you were Tyler when I was 26. I was a definite drunk who was drinking every night. I was missing my high school times because I was a somebody then(in my eyes). I had great success there and none in real life. I would watch old football tapes reminiscing about great plays. It was pretty freaking sad what I was doing. High school needs to be forgotten ASAP, bro.

All high school is is an ant farm and your existence doesn't mean jack S to anybody outside of that ant farm.

I could go on and on how reminiscing is such a waste of time, but let me just say you're wasting your time doing it, and it's time to join the real world. You come across as a smart likeable person if that makes you feel any better. I enjoy reading your messages, but some are just downers. Need less of those, ok?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think Sarah's advice definitely applies.

There's a difference between being 'sober', in the sense Sarah's using it, and being in between binges.

The way I see it, Tyler you can do one of two things - you can keep doing what you're doing - only ever coming here after a few drinks, philosophizing about your life, the universe and everything, and making arguments for why you can't change.....

or: you can think about the life you want, and the person you want to be - and accept the certainty that change is required for you to get there.

The sooner you start the changes, the sooner change can happen.

I wish you luck and courage, Tyler

D
That is a very good point. I think I choose the second option. How do I proceed?