Notices

Introduction

Old 12-19-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hello! I'm new here and looking for friends to not drink with.

I'm a married mom of 2 in my early 30s. I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic, but I was headed on that path and want to change my habits before it's too late.

I am tired of embarrassing myself online while drunk. I'm tired of being hung over on Saturday mornings when I should be energetic and playing with my kids.

My grandmother died of cirrhosis from alcoholism.

I don't want that crap in my life.

Ainsley (not my real name).
Old 12-19-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. Coming here is a great start if you want to quit drinking. Finding new friends with interests that don't include alcohol will help. If you aren't an alcoholic, you should have no problem quitting.

If you can't stop drinking, at least for 30 days, you might want to re-evaluate your problem and reconsider the solutions.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I should have posted this is on the newcomers board, can a mod move it? Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, Glad you are here.
I am a married father in my 30's. I am in a similar situation as you.
I realized I needed to stop!

I am currently on Day 5!

Hope you stick with it. I am everyone else are ALWAYS around to help.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Need support

Hello,
I started drinking about 2 years after weight loss surgery. I always hated the taste of alcohol before that and rarely drank at all.
I'm at a place now where I know I have to stop. I know this pattern of drinking is slowly killing me and I have too much to be alive for!
I am going to set a quit date and I have already made my list of pros and cons of drinking. And I'm already sad and feeling anxious about not being able to drink.
Is that normal?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome Ainsley! Your definition of alcoholism may change the more you read here. Hope you can make the commitment to take alcohol out of your life for good. It's such a lovely life without it!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by mustsucceed View Post
...I'm already sad and feeling anxious about not being able to drink.
Is that normal?
If the numbers of newcomers who feel that way are any indication, then yes, it is normal. But it is not an excuse to put off quitting.

Why are you setting a date to quit? If you are waiting for the anxious feelings to go away, that isn't going to happen until you quit. So quit. How about today?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm scared and making excuses and I know it. I just know how hard it's going to be, especially the first night. But you know what, I'm going to try
Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Mustsucceed, if you have any concerns about detox and withdrawals, you should speak with your doctor. Be truthful about your alcohol consumption.

Welcome to SR.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't have much concerns about detox, probably will feel nausea more than anything, and thank you for the post and the warm welcome
Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

@ Ainsley:

Only you can determine if you are alcoholic but I can tell you the non-alcoholics I know don't have recurring issues with hangover, lack of energy related to drinking or close family members dead from alcoholism. Practically, all alcoholics I know, including myself, do...

That said, I didn't have to find some miserable drinking myself to death bottom to get on the wagon, either. And my largest external obstacle to a fulfilling life of sobriety was finding sober friends.

I started with what few real friends I had who were drinkers but could still be close friends without the drinking. Then I relied on Al-Anon/AA to give me a sober social network.

Today I have more caring friends and more fun that I ever thought possible and I've been sober just shy of a year.

That I felt dread or anxiety about adopting this new life style seems crazy and sick and you know what, it was, but I didn't have to stay that way.