Notices

Drunk dreams in sobriety

Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk dreams in sobriety

Hi everyone,

As of yesterday, I have been sober for 90 days. This is the longest I have been sober in 4-5 years. I owe it all to the program and fellowship of AA. I have been going to meetings almost everyday, I just picked up a good sponsor with 20+ years sobriety and just started working the steps. I have made many new friends in AA in the past three months. I feel much better than I did earlier this year when I was downing 15-30 drinks everyday or every other day, driving drunk on a regular basis and hanging around dangerous unpredictable "drinking buddies". I still have a courtdate in less than a month for my second DUI. That is what it took me to realize that I needed the help that only AA could provide. I could not quit on my own.

Even though I have been sober for 90 days, I have been having frequent dreams that play out like scenarios from my heavy drinking days. Last night, I had a dream I was hanging out in the park with some ghetto unpredictable drinking pals smoking weed and drinking 40's when a cop pulls out of nowhere and starts frisking us and asking for our ID's. The cop in my dream just happens to be my AA sponsor! I felt very ashamed for even taking a swig from the vile tasting malt-liquor in the 40 in the paper bag in the dream.

One of my new AA friends and I are taking a trip to Philly tomorrow to visit his brother for the holidays. He asked me to come along because he needs the extra support of an AA friend not to drink. I had a vivid realistic dream a few nights ago of us being up in a liquor store in Philly and drinking a huge bottle of Hennessy in the parking lot and driving around the unfamiliar bombed out ghetto areas of the city looking for weed. By the end of all of these dreams when I was still deep asleep, I remember feeling deeply remorseful for drinking again. However, it is always a wonderful relief when I wake-up knowing that it was only a dream and I have still been maintaining continuous sobriety.

Does anyone else here have vivid drunk dreams in sobriety? Do they disturb you?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think they're funny: my dreams. Last week, I dreamed about drink this dark, dark beer and woke up happy that it was just a dream!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

I dream the dreams, I am relieved but have a weird naggy feeling on waking.

The dreams have progressed from actually imbibing to just wanting to but not doing it. Not sure what it means but my waking life is a sober one and that's the only one I get much say in.