Notices

Slipped after 40 days

Old 12-12-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipped after 40 days

I don't think I'm alcoholic...problem drinker...or sporadic drinker. I can quit for long periods of time. I have quit 4 times for 2 1/2 years. This last time I decided to quit because my son had drug problems and my husband drinks every nigt and I just got sick of what it was doing to them. I have never drunk every day. When I do drink, I drink too much. I get sick and feel depressed the next day. I went to an A.A. Meeting after 38 days of no A.A. and drank two days later! I go to Naranon and feel very much at home there. i don't feel comfortable in A.A. Meetings. I can't relate to the 'addiction' part. But I did tell my husband Saturday night that I felt like drinking and would he please drive me to an A.A. Meeting or I would drink. He said, No, I'm not going to an A.A. Meeting. I was weak and tired and emotionally exhausted from my addiction to my addict son...whichI am working on in Naranon with a sponsor and the steps and meetings. My husband used to go to A.A. He was very involved. But he had a few bad experiences with some A.A. Nazis that told him to go off his bipolar meds or he wasn't truly sober and he wound up in a psyche hospital. And I have had some wierd experiences in A.A. Lots of gossip...especially if someone goes out and I had a spnsor who became addicted to Me calling her everyday. After a couple of years I grew tired of this but she panicked when I didn't call. She was retired, had gambled away all her money...but also in GA and OA...basically her life was 12 step meetings. I wanted to grow spiritually and she was very Christain...another sponsor told me I had to call my H.P God and even if I didn't now...I would be doing it in a year. I am a very spiritual person and the reason I like Naranon so much is it is so much less Christian oriented. They never close with the Lord's prayer...people don't go into Jesus and God talks but we do focus a lot on the addict...we're supposed to focus on ourselves but I guess that takes a lot of recovery! I am definitely addicted to addicted loved ones...but I decidec to quit drinking to support my teen in recovery and because I don't want to be a hippocrite...but failed Saturday night and I feel like a failure. And I wish my husband wouldn't drink around ne every night. He used to drink a lot...now maybe one or two...doesn't get out of control and is doing great at his job. So a lot of stuff I heard in A.A. That it is progressive...has not been true in my experience. So if I am not a true alcoholic where do I go for support?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your question is where do non-alcoholics go for support when their drinking is out of control, and they can't manage to get by without drinking for long when they decide not to drink?

I've never met any that have that problem.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

This is a red flag to me.

When I do drink, I drink too much. I get sick and feel depressed the next day.
Where does a non-alcoholic go for support to stop drinking when they can't? Do non-alcoholics need support to stop drinking? I've never met one.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

First of all knowing where you live, from some of your posts in F&F I can tell you that there are some really SUPER meetings in the city you live in. Not only did I live there for a while in my earlier recovery I still go and visit friends and go to some meetings when I am there.

I cannot say that you are an alcoholic or not or whether your husband is or not. However, you certainly wrote about being a 'problem drinker' at times in your life. Now, all alcoholics are 'problem drinkers' but not all 'problem drinkers' are alcoholics.

Even in the BB of AA it says that a 'problem drinker' given enough motivation, be it loss of family, job, etc can give up drinking and go on with their life.

You have so much going on in your life right now, with your A son, your obsessiveness over him, etc it might just be time to find a good 'Therapist/Counselor' that specializes in addiction.

This site can only help you so much, your Naranon and Naranon Sponsor can only help you so much, but a good Therapist/Counselor can guide you step by step to get through the muck and mire in your own mind.

Please give it some thought.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I'll just be an alcoholic then. I could care less. I'll go back to A.A. It sounds like I am an alcoholic! Oh well...guess I'll go to A.A and Naranon.

I also just made an appt. With my therapist. I moved it up to today at 1:30pm. It was for next week.

Maybe I'll catch an A.A. Meeting right now before the therapy. Hey thanks you guys. Your posts made me look at myself and I giggled! So an alcoholic can be an alcoholic without being a daily drinker? So a spree, periodic or binge drinker is still an alcoholic? If so...then I guess I am one?