Notices

Back home

Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back home

Theres no place like home!!! I was surrounded by drinkers drug users. Why did I question this? They were my fathers friends!!! Of course they would be other addicts. I stayed close to my sponcer and sober friends but Ill tell ya after 2 weeks of being around addicts that arent in recovery my addictive personality talked a good game! My fault only went to one meeting! Saw a cousin I havent seen in 20 years and is also suffering from alcoholism....got to share my experience strength and hope and he asksome questions. An aunt I hadent seen in years told me that her daughter was a stronger person than I her having sophisticated wine parties and all. I would have been livid with that comment before. I was able to calmly tell her alcoholism has nothing to do with strength and weakness its a disease that requires help.I dont think she understood because she said it again through out my stay but its not her i need to convinse. I let it go and reminded myself Im the most important person in my recovery!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you live with anyone that drinks? I am having a hard time with the beer in the fridge and slipped after 40 days. I liked what you wrote in your last line. " I'm the most important person in my recovery." Good stuff!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Heather, nice to hear you got out. Sophisticated wine parties going on down in Florida, ey? Sounds like trailor trash to me.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

ok...lets not get into into insulting Floridians - I know some fine folks down there
Glad you're back home Heather

D
Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes family members seem to put effort into denial of alcoholism or alcohol-induced dysfunction. i wonder why? Maybe they are threatened by the idea of a real serious life disorder that requires changes...and if they drink, even more threatened.

But a "sophisticated wine party" does sound like another name for drunkfest to me! Nothing to do with Florida; just, if you have to call it sophisticated, odds are it ain't.

So glad you made it home in one piece and kept in touch with your sponsor.

Enjoy your sanity and being back to your own place.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heather i am so glad you are home. You should be really proud of yourself for the strength you showed. We can get a snake for you Aunt also.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Windblown....I had a terrible time trying to get sober with any kind of alcohol in the house! I had to eventually move out and break off an engagement. It was too easy in early sobriety to find a good reason to pop a beer that was in the veggie drawer,not that there is any good reason! Im hoping for you that youll have more reason to stay sober!!!