Notices

36 days

Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

36 days

I have had about 12 years sober...at four different times. I get 2 1/2 years, get bored with A.A. and after a few months start having some beers. I have a hard time relating to the 'obsession' thing. It's easy to quit. It's hard to stay stopped for over 2 years. I am definitely obsessed with other addict/alcoholics and am in Naranon....a recovering codependent and enabler.

I went to an A.A. meeting tonite and picked up a 30 day chip. I couldn't relate too well but an older man spoke to me after the meeting. He said if you didn't have the obsession part...why do you start back up again! I had to admit...that made sence.

I rarely drank around my kids. They don't think I'm an alcoholic. I've never lost a job or relationship...but when I do drink my personality changes depending on what mood I'm in. I have Bipolar II and I decided to stop drinking because I was getting very depressed and my Dr. said with all the stress going on in my life with my addict son leaving that I should refrain. So I did. And I feel so much better.

I never drink just one or two...usually 5 or 6 beers...but it really effects me
and I start writing very bad poetry. The truth is...I have had problems with alcohol....whether it be me or my spouse...it is a pattern throughout my life. I can see the big picture and I don't want any part of it anymore. It leads me to suicide attempts, mental hospitals, I was asked to leave my sister in laws house, I throw up and feel horrible the next day...oh and I have gotten violent. I tried to tear up a motel room once. So for me...no thanks.

Luckily my kids weren't around when any of this happened... But my husband was. He still drinks and it bothers me because he used to be in A.A. too. I am going to set a boundary with him tomorrow...that I have to live in a sober house and he'll have to do his drinking and weed smoking outside of the home. Im putting my recovery first...I have too.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to see you're setting healthy boundaries for yourself and your family, Windblown

D
Old 12-07-2011, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad to see you're setting healthy boundaries for yourself and your family, Windblown

D
sobriety has to be #1 if you are going to make it work! best of luck to you Windblown..