Notices

Quiet My Mind

Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Quiet My Mind

Dear Higher Power,

Teach me to quiet my mind.

Stop my thoughts from racing from one thing to another.

Stop me from the obsessive thinking about the lives of others.

Help me rest and quiet my mind.

Help me let go of trying to control the lives of others.

Free my mind to be at rest.

This I pray.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The way I learned to meditate was through running.
At first, I would recite the 3rd step prayer over and over again like a cadence. (but that wasn't really "quiet".
Then I graduated to just concentrating on my foot strikes. (not so quiet either)
Then on to my breathing. (pretty quiet)
Finally on to just emptying my mind of all thoughts, sounds, distractions. This is where I started to be able to listen. Conscious contact is a two way street. Prayer is going out. The real hurdle for me was listening. Thankfully behind me.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and sending you strength. I am guessing it it the not nowing that is not letting your mind quiet.
I am home all day so if you need to chat or talk I am here.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Ah, meditation has always alluded me.

At this point, I'm finding it difficult to recite a prayer in my head without it being interrupted my another thought.

Thanks Art!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Give this practice, called mindfulness, a try, PaperDolls. I find it's like taking a vacation for me away from 'the committee' in my brain.

Mindfulness and Kindness: Inner Sources of Freedom and Happiness
Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's good advice here, PD!

I hope you can find some peace.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
  1. Breathe in and think "G-d in." (or HP)
  2. Hold for a second.
  3. Breathe out and think "PaperDolls out."
  4. Repeat as necessary until calm.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Any means by which you focus on your breath will work, TU. I like to concentrate on the sensation of cool air entering my body and warm air leaving my body. Cool, and then warm. Cool, and then warm. When an intruding thought appears, don't fight it but just accept it without judgement, without doing anything. Then, return your attention to your breath. Cool as breath comes in, warm as it goes out. Always return your attention to your breath, to the movement of air through your body as it connects you with all living things.

This mindfulness is a form of meditation I think, but it can take many forms. Just today, I found this which I find very relaxing too.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thinking of you PD.

I am the same - my brain runs too fast. I learnt a method when trying to quit smoking of counting from 100 to 1 in your head, while trying to also listen to a relaxation tape. It engages your brain on a couple of different levels and the relaxation message sinks in better as you struggle to not stumble over the backwards counting (basically the task of counting backwards is just challenging enough to be distracting).

A great tape I found was Attacking Anxiety, by Lucinda someone or other.

Another thing that works for me: Lay/sit in a quiet area and listen. Focus all your attention on sounds and only sounds. Listen to the sounds close by, then the ones further out. Keep doing this and apparently while you're focussing on one sense (hearing) your brain has difficulty mixing other things in. It also works with visual senses, so I like to imagine a "safe spot" - usually a nice forest clearing... I try to visualise every detail, from the colour of the leaves on the ground, to the way the shadows move. The more you concentrate on it the easier it gets.

I hope you're well PD, good thoughts and wishes coming your way.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I certainly empathize with you. During a good part my sobriety I was tortured by what I call "the voices", very negative thinking that originated in my childhood. But honestly, it can be controlled. I learned to see my mind as an old, inept computer that just kept replaying the same garbage over and over. To stop it I would say "thank you for sharing, mother, now get the f*ck out of here!". That frequently worked. And, I diverted my mind by calling someone, turning on the television or reading a book. Anything to stop it. After doing these things for a while I have no problems in this area. It's not a quick fix, but it worked for me.