Notices

Did ya all miss me?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Did ya all miss me?

Well, I am back, and decided to post a bit again, maybe it will help.

So, did everyone wonder whatever happened to 'ol Husky Pup, or did you breathe a sigh of relief? :P

Well, I have had some ups and downs, need to sort some thing out, but struggling in many ways, and feeling very much alienated from the 'recovery community' after trying my best to listen and be polite at meetings and such...so have been wanting to find a more independent kind of meeting, more like a discussion group open to various paths to sobriety, than AA was for the several months that I tried it`. Not to say it did not have it's merits, but was not for me.

And please, in advance, I am not trying to start a fight...if you plan to post something like 'You just didn't try AA hard enough', or 'you are just in denial' please, don't, as that is not what I am seeking to discuss...have some respect for my secular beliefs & save that stuff for the 12 steps thread, and share things aimed at being kind and understanding, that speak to me as a person seeking a path...I am looking for hope, not barbed insults, which is why I stopped posting as much, and could not go to meetings anymore...I became a tolerated oddity, welcomed at first, but the more I would share, the less people wanted to hear. So it felt like I got squeezed out, as I did not have the same idea of a loving HP 'saving' me, after giving it my best shot, and after much reflection.

Well, it was an interesting experiment, but moving forward...now what? I wish there was some other kinds of groups in my area, that met when I didn't work, but having trouble finding any

H. Pup
Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome back, HuskyPup!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back HuskyPup
so what are you planning to do now?

D
Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Dunno...a social aspect to recovery helps me, but not sure where to find it. Maybe try and start something? But not sure I have the time/energy, at this point. Guess just be lonely?

I asked my therapist, and even he could not think of any alternative discussion groups, and he's been in addictions counseling and therapy for decades. We both find it odd so few options exist. So maybe, try and form something more amenable to atheists, pagans, and whoever else falls though the cracks.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back ((HuskyPup))! I can only tell what has worked for me. I did go to AA (though I was abusing opiates at the time) but I hadn't hit bottom, moved onto crack. I still use what I learned from AA, but I don't go to meetings now.

Truthfully? SR has been my main support as far as RA's go, but I also have some supportive friends and family. I'm also a codie, so in recovery for that. I've taken bits and pieces from what has worked for others. Some things worked, some not so well, but I kinda made my own recovery program.

I think we can all find our way and what works best for us. I've learned from people who have different DOC's, those who believe in God (like me) and those who don't...and they've all helped my recovery, and I try to give back.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I missed you
Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

these are all from our recovery links sticky HP...

http://lifering.org/
SMART RecoveryŽ | Self Help for Addiction & Alcohol Abuse
S.O.S. Secular Organizations for Sobriety
Anodea Judith: Pagan 12-Step(Part 1 of 4)

When I did quit, I realised I'd been over complicating matters.

The trouble I had with finding something that exactly suited me is... I never did...and all the while I kept drinking.

The most important ingredient of sobriety is no drinking - no matter what... don't be like me and get so caught up in the search that you forget that.

D
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was wondering about you today. Welcome back.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was under the impression this thread was about Husky Pup, actually.
Maybe you two would like to take it to PM?

D
Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe I need to be less polite?

I've removed some posts - lets get back on topic thanks.

D
Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome back HuskyPup.

Not trying to push you into AA or anything you're not comfortable with by any means, but oddly enough your search for a recovery group reminds me of my own seemingly lifelong search for a church that I feel like I can connect with. I found that I have a tendency to search for the perfect church that I agree 100% with theologically, and that this church simply doesn't exist. I have had to learn to be happy with the church I'm at and remember that church is more about the people that attend, and less about the spiritual nitty-gritty details. Sure, there are some basic tenets that are important, but no church will fit my ideal perfectly.

I wonder if maybe your search for a recovery group is similar? Maybe instead of trying to find something that feels 100% perfect you should try to find something that more or less aligns with your beliefs or non-beliefs and try to just connect with the people there.

Then again maybe I'm missing the mark here, no disrespect intended. I do hope you find something that works for you.

Best wishes
Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Are you looking for a sober social group or looking for a way of attaining or maintaining sobriety?

In my book if you are trying to get sober it is what will work rather than what you believe in. The two are not necessarily synonymous.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
So, did everyone wonder whatever happened to 'ol Husky Pup
Unfortunately Husky, I pretty much knew what happened to you because I see the same thing happen to hundreds of others every year who are convinced they can get sober by doing only what is comfortable for them. I, too, had many failed experiments in the delusion that I had the power to stay away from booze. The fact is that I didn't recover until I fully accepted that I had tried my best and come up short repeatedly. Only then was I willing to find others just as powerless as I was, but who had a solution.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hi Husky,

I have checked in on you a few times to see if you were still around, glad to see you back.

I guess I have always scratched my head over why then, and why now YOU keep bringing up a program that didn't work for you. I guess it feels like you're the one trying to pick the fight a good bit of the time, by daring people to disagree with you.

I come here to talk about what does work more than what doesn't. For alot of people here AA did work, so they talk about it. I want to hear more about what DOES work for Husky pup, because that is what is going to help others the most.

I'm a pagan too, pantheist. I use a variety of tools to help me move forward in recovery. Honestly if I were you, I'd put the energy you put into running down AA and complaining that there are not programs tailored to suit your temperment, into your own recovery.

I've found focusing on my own recovery a better investment than focusing on how everyone else is or isn't recovering.

I don't live in an areas with twelve step or other recovery meetings available, but I do find that the twelve step programs, literature, etc are helping me identify what my real issues are. There is a new twelve step book for pagans by Herbert, came out in August that is pretty awesome, as far as I know it's only in e-book form.

I use a lot of other literature, ideas and practices too.

I like you and enjoy your posts and threads, but like I said, I do wonder why you put so much energy into fighting. No one is invested in forcing you into any particular program, but I think a lot of us truly do like you and want you to succeed. We'd rather be friends than sparring partners.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

Or you could always just create your own path. I got sick of every single program and method; didn't matter if it was AA or a flower, I was flipping mad at it for existing because I just didn't want to be told to do something that I didn't completely choose for myself. So eventually I got sick of relapsing every few days, opened a blank document in Word and wrote down what I was willing to take from all the methods out there, whether it's 99% or 0%. If you're looking for a group of sobers, maybe you could try the never-addicted...you could just be lonely and finding a group of people who share something you enjoy doing could help. I was going to go back to AA meetings for a bit for the social aspect and because of the lack of secular non-12 step groups, but just couldn't put myself through that again...so I go to the gym now instead. lol
Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Huskypup – Welcome back!

I like your idea of starting your own group. As you and your therapist describe the situation, there is a significant gap in f2f resources for folks of your slant. I think it’s awesome you would consider filling that gap.

Regarding AA, I will only highlight that SR provides indisputable proof that secularists can and utilize AA to achieve victory over alcohol. Even now there’s an active thread where several agnostics/atheists have shared how they made AA and the HP concept work for them. If you think you might ever revisit the AA path, I’d encourage you to reach out to these people and learn more about how they succeeded. Learning from like-minded people you respect is a far more logical and potentially beneficial path than attending AA meetings and sharing all the ways you disagree with fundamental elements of the program. Amongst these successful “AA Atheists”, I doubt you’ll find anyone who tells you s/he is intentionally combative/contrarian at meetings because there are large swaths of the meetings and/or attendence list that s/he doesn’t particularly care for. And the latter might be perfectly true, but these folks are somehow able to summon an incredible amount of perspective, focus, and maturity.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I was 10 months sober yesterday. . I have went to a handful of AA meetings. The first one that ended in the lord's prayer sent me into a PTSD episode that I completely went off the deep end and spiraled into a bender that almost cost me my job (religious childhood abuse in my background and lots of it). Since, I have went to a dozen different AA meetings always leaving before the prayer part at the end and at every single one where I am at, over half of the people bring BIBLES with them to the meetings and read straight from their bibles. No. Thank. You. I could go on and on about my area as well but that is not what I am here for. Just suffice it to say that with the abuse in my background, AA is not something that works for me. However, the basic 12 step program is with some key adjustments. I am working through a program (of sorts) that is secular-ly based on AA and a handful of other programs with someone that is 30 years sober currently (a sponsor of sorts, even though he doesn't want to call himself one). He pushes and challenges me. I found him on a similar page to this one connecting to other recovering alcoholics. So far, I can truly say that I really am experiencing joy in life, I feel free, and I am actually grateful to be an alcoholic.

I do wish I could find some AA meetings that aren't a holy roller's convention for some face to face support, but for now, what I am doing between the other board I spend time on and SR, I am garnering so much support it's simply amazing. I am also so fortunate to have an ACA (or ACOA) meeting near me which takes a more secular approach to things and is REALLY filling in gaps for me and addressing a lot of the childhood issues for myself that I needed to address.

Good luck and NEVER give up. It took me 5 years of wanting to get sober to finally get there.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back Husky Pup!

I find SR was enough support for me. I wanted to move forward and not dwell on my problems with alcohol...so once I got sober I kind of had my path.

Glad you are here
Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Welcome back huskypup
Old 11-17-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to see you back with us, HuskyPup. Never stop seeking a way that works for you.