Notices

Did ya all miss me?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I like you and enjoy your posts and threads, but like I said, I do wonder why you put so much energy into fighting. No one is invested in forcing you into any particular program, but I think a lot of us truly do like you and want you to succeed. We'd rather be friends than sparring partners.
Well, two things come to mind: I have been posting less, as I do not wish to fight, and when I have shared what has worked for me, it doesn't generate a lot of discussion, as in the spiral steps approach. So I think partly it is that the positive stuff doesn't garner as much response, and part of the reason for posting is not just personal journaling, but discussion. And that is what I would find helpful, is more discussion, here, or especially live and in person support, where I didn't feel as if I had to tip-toe around what I said, or follow a set set of beliefs.

So that mainly, I would like to have some face to face support that was not as programmatic as the AA meetings I was going to...it did help to talk to people face to face, though after a while, it became harder and harder to hear about those without sponsors just taking up space, and when would I get one, and so on, that I felt like a marginal 'member'. So that I thought, well, I like the social support aspect, but wish it existed in a broader, more welcoming context.

Thus I am not wanting to or trying to pick fights with anyone, just wanting some hugs and support in the early portion of this journey.

Fighting has never been a goal, nor anything I have desired, merely the ability to discuss addiction and ways out of it in a broad number of possible contexts, without the over-arcing implication that there is one, true way.

I am not sure what it is, but I find it a powerful experience to be with other people, physically...and perhaps, part of this is out of an extroverted nature. This is not to say I can not and will not continue along in recovery without it, only that being with others while they recover something I think would be helpful, in a context that was not wed to any set system, and in which members not only respected but encouraged a diversity of approaches.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Pup, it's clear you haven't looked at LifeRing if you haven't yet found:
* a self-directed approach for those confronting their addiction to alcohol and/or drugs, or who are in relationships where chemical dependancy is a problem.
* a fellowship which welcomes everyone without distinctions based on “drug of choice” and includes people of all religious faiths and none. Meetings are free of religious observances.
*an approach which supports individuals building their own recovery programs, and requires no particular steps other than abstinence from alcohol and drugs.
*a fellowship that has no charge for participation.

Take a look around, HuskyPup, there are plenty o' choices, time to find yours.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

I have looked at Life Ring....but no meetings around here, which seems to be a recurring theme. The closest one to Baltimore is up in West Virginia, about a 6 hour drive from here. The online aspect is helpful, though what I really seek is a place to go, people, contact. I know that sounds weird, in this day and age, maybe I am just old-fashioned like that, but the physical presence of a support group has been something I have found helpful, even say, when I was first coming to terms with being gay.

But maybe it would be easier to start a Life-ring group here, than just try and start group X on my own...I will have to get in touch with them, and see what all is involved!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like the idea of starting a group yourself...I say go for it! What have you got to loose?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I looked into this too, and spoke to Michael at LifeRing, who was in California I think. I was excited to ask about local meetings, and disappointed to hear that there was not one in greater Toronto, an area with 7 million people.

I learned that in order to convene your own meeting and be sanctioned by the LifeRing association, you must have 1 year of sobriety. I only have a little over 8 months left. Just hang in until then, HuskyPup, we'll get you sorted.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I missed you HuskyPup!!!

I love reading your posts. Your intropsection is always interesting to me, and I don't find you argumentative. I agree with alot of what you've shared in the past. I have had the same feelings you've had, but I haven't struggled much with it as I really don't worry too much about others' opinions of me or of my "recovery" choices. My path is my path and it works well for me. Others can agree or not agree with me....doesn't stop me walkin' my path. I'm glad you're here