Notices

First time poster

Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time poster

Hey everyone! I just joined because I've been struggling with alcohol addiction now for a while, I never thought it was really an addiction but it really crept up! I'm 24 and have been drinking pretty much once a week since I was 14. I have experimented with other drugs as well but I stopped smoking marijuana when I was 18 and have tried mushrooms, MDMA, cocaine and K a few times but haven't had problems with any of those.

Alcohol is really my big problem and I find it hard to stop cold turkey when so many of my friends still drink but I drink uncontrollably when I get myself going and sometimes participate in 2-day binges. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with alcohol and if there's any advice for coping with this.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome and i hope you find the support and help you need.

you aren't alone and you can do this.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Gertron))) - welcome to SR!! There are a lot of people here who have/still are struggled with addictions. Though my DOC (drug of choice) was crack, I've related to people, no matter what their DOC was - SR has been a huge part of my recovery!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try to get yourself into a 12 step program.

It is going to be extremely hard to get off alcohol and you are going to need all the support you can get.

If you are really serious about quitting your going to have to stay away from your friends that drink.

It is going to be very hard in the begining. It gets easier over time.

Good Luck
Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there, I've never really had a huge problem with alcohol but several other drugs over the years. The only thing I wanted to comment on is please don't stop drinking cold turkey if you are drinking ALOT, it can be very dangerous to do so......Otherwise I wish you the very very best, and this site will help with lot's of awesome advice, but maybe look for other avenues as well such as family support or AA, the harder you work at it the easier it should become...Many people have done it which means so can you!!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi
I moved your post here

To stay sober I had to make a lot of changes - not only with some friends, but places I used to hang out too

To stay sober I believe you really have to want to be sober - and that has to take priority over every thing else.

I know you'll find a lot of support and advice at SR

D
Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Gertron - I'm 27 so not much older than yourself, but it was the same for me. I've taken drugs and smoke weed (I say smoke because I still do the odd time, although once every week, couple of weeks) and always been able to take a step back, but the drinking always got me.

Good for you coming here - it takes a lot of guts to admit to a problem, especially when you're younger. I passed off my drinking as a lot of things over the years - told myself it was a phase at first and by the end I was telling myself there was no point in stopping as I couldn't function socially without it. Which incidentally, is a huge crock of... let's say fools gold (I'm Irish). So whatever your reasoning you'll get a lot of support here. And one other thing, if you slip up and have a drink, we're always here regardless - never feel worried or ashamed to come back to us.

Anyways, that's my welcome to SR. Welcome! (Also, Canada, win - always wanted to visit. )
Old 11-17-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

"I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with alcohol and if there's any advice for coping with this. "
Gertron, I've had a problem with alcohol 40+ years, and know I am 1year 4months and 7days sober. I go to AA meetings regularly and hang out on this website as much as possible. If you are serious you'll quit.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Hey welcome to SR everyone is here to help one another

Binge drinkin was big part in my life try and go cold turkey its all worth it, I'm on my 17th night without a drink and believe I'm glad I quit coz binge drinkin is the more faster way to death

Good luck with becomin sober
Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Gerton!

I experimented with other things too, but alcohol ended up being my downfall. It was scary to think about not drinking at first, but I just took it one day at a time and came here for support every day. It really does get better....... I'm glad to be sober today.