Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

My Sponsor and I clash over Higher Power and Big Book Study

Notices

My Sponsor and I clash over Higher Power and Big Book Study

Old 11-19-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Then why are you commenting on a sponsor/higher power thread? Clearly, you have the power to stay sober. The need for a higher power is irrelevant to you.

If you're not powerless, then there is no need for a higher power. Go and be happy. Or better yet, help others who are also not powerless.
Keith, I would like to note the following:

1. The OP is an atheist, who is struggling with meshing AA's philosophies with her own. I think it is perfectly appropriate to address her issues by pointing out that other approaches and philosophies are available to her.
2. This is a non 12 step forum.
3. My perspectives and experiences are not invalid because I don't view my recovery through the lens of powerlessness.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post

P.S. I'm female
Lol, oops! I like the smiley though...
Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I was also turned of with "Jesus is my lord and savior" mantra over and over again.
I never had a sponser for the reason that I didn't want to involve some stranger into my life and having to tell me what to do all the time.

In my opinion, I AM the higher power. I knew I was powerless at my lowest over alcohol, but it was also the "power of my self will and determination" that would give me the power to straighten myself out.

It worked for me. I respect the way others have to handle it. IF my daughter all of a sudden becomes sober and goes to church every Sunday, am I going to tell her NO? Absolutely not. Whatever works is whatever works.