Notices

I have found a wall

Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have found a wall

I don't knwo if this is the proper place to post, if not I apologize.

I have realized that I'm at a point of extreme conflict in my mind of recover vs not...and that in itself causes emotions that i want to numb out! I also have realized that whenever anyone discusses drinking, if I see a commercial, or even if I come on HERE and read about anything dealing with alcohol (even if it's about detox symptoms!), i want to drink and it makes the bad cravings I'm having even worse

I don't know how to get past that, as I feel I need those that understand what I'm going through for support. Has anyone else experienced this....you see the word or hear it and it somehow flips a switch and your brain cannot let go of it?

I've looked up AA meetings in my city, though I don't agree with some AA concepts. I'm going to see if meeting someone in person helps.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anything new is likely to be uncomfortable...and anything uncomfortable is likely to make us want to not be uncomfortable....

the truth is TLogan I found out it's ok to be uncomfortable - it's not fun or pleasant, but it is ok...I get through it.

I can want a drink, I can feel the craving, but I don't have to act on that thought....and the more you deal with these kinds of situations sober the less you'll fell like drinking over them

I do think support is vital tho - you'd know yourself how lonely recovery can feel sometimes - I think it's great you're thinking of finding more support

hang in there

D
Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I know how you feel about EVERYTHING making you want to drink early on. I don't visit the New Comers section on the forums because I find it too hard to read about so many people having "Day 1". It makes me feel like my Day 1 wasn't that special, so it doesn't matter if I start again... I know that's my little alcoholic voice (which is getting quieter by the week), so I acknowledged it and stay away from those posts.

Every TV show I watch someone's drinking (How I Met Your Mother is a funny show, but jeez! Even when trying for a baby Lilly is still drinking wine. Every episode they have booze).

It's gotten better for me, seeing it doesn't make me yearn for it any more. I even bumped into some work mates at the bar where my boy friend works yesterday. I was going in after work to talk to him and they said "Stay for a drink". I was able to order a tall glass of soda water and sit through a good half hour or so while they went through rum and cokes and wines. It gets easier.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

The "triggers" are everywhere for drinking causing cravings when you first try to stop. They resolve in time as long as you don't feed them. It's the addiction exerting its influence. We drank our way into this state.

Once you are over the hump you can find the peace you seek, the "triggers" don't fire anymore.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by T2Logan View Post
I don't knwo if this is the proper place to post, if not I apologize.

I have realized that I'm at a point of extreme conflict in my mind of recover vs not...and that in itself causes emotions that i want to numb out! I also have realized that whenever anyone discusses drinking, if I see a commercial, or even if I come on HERE and read about anything dealing with alcohol (even if it's about detox symptoms!), i want to drink and it makes the bad cravings I'm having even worse

I don't know how to get past that, as I feel I need those that understand what I'm going through for support. Has anyone else experienced this....you see the word or hear it and it somehow flips a switch and your brain cannot let go of it?

I've looked up AA meetings in my city, though I don't agree with some AA concepts. I'm going to see if meeting someone in person helps.
Hi logan, try let it go in one ear and out the other, I was the same but I learned to ignore it and look passed it ... Look at the negatives on here what ppl put bout alcohol maybe it'll help but don't think of positives (really there is no positives bout alcohol) good luck