Notices

Underlying Addiction to Crazy

Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok I'll try an example lol

When I quit drinking life seemed pretty boring in the beginning - because it was...I was still leading my old drinking life, sitting in front of the TV or the PC or whatever....and missing the thing I used to try and make that humdrum existence bearable for so many years.

the solution for me - the real solution - was to not make my life humdrum anymore.

Once I started looking I found I needed something more than simple adrenalin anyway - that was old thinking and as I stayed sober and faced more and more things I found I grew away from that.
You may too?

I don't know what you need DH - only you can decide that - but I was pretty insular and self-obsessed - volunteering, as it happens, really helped remind me I wasn't the only person on the planet - and it made me feel some meaning again, like I was making some kind of a contribution again, and I really needed that.

Think about what you need DH

D
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This may sound trivial or unexciting but I started running again when sober.

I had been a runner in my earlier life but let it go. I always remembered how great it felt when I was in good condition and the miles were flying by.

So, back I went with out of shape, overweight, jangly nerved self and started over. It has become a bit of an obsession in that I think about running a lot, and read runner forums, etc.

But I still love it. Is there something you can go back to: a musical instrument, a hobby, a reading program, yoga, something that the alcohol stole from your life?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

Yeah, I see your point, even though I don't want to. Volunteer work with people is the one thing that I'm least willing to do which probably means I need to do it the most.

I've kinda decided to lock myself in my house with alcohol the past few years because I don't look normal...I essentially don't want anyone looking at me because I know they're judging me. I was born with partial facial paralysis which gives me a crooked smile...which is why I don't want to volunteer and be around new people because of the looks I might get (who wants a non-smiling volunteer?)...and yeah, it's probably not as big of a deal as I make it sound but I've been isolating for 2 years because I'm just sick of being "that" girl and people asking questions or giving looks when they shouldn't. Which is also probably why I refuse to socialize and why I got addicted to alcohol. It was ok when I was skinny, but add 50 pounds to that and ugh.