Notices

Exercising In Sobriety-----

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Exercising In Sobriety-----

The last 2 weeks I have been working out daily. It seems to be helping with my depression & I have very little cravings for booze. I rode my bike over 50miles this week & have been running every other day. I feel like I'm training to be a Navy Seal. I'm 5'11'' & am down to 165. I think exercising is very important in sobriety and often times get overlooked. I do not eat the donuts & other sugar type goodies that always seem to be at AA meetings. Some say there is some kind of connection to alcoholism and sugar intake. Just thought I should share to my SR friends.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Justfor1, as I study addiction, I've read that sugar is the most addicting substance in hte world. They are chemically similiar to alcohol, Ethanol C2H6O, Sucrose C12H22O11,
Glucose C6H12O6, THC(weed) C21H30O2. Im no chenist but you can see by the chemical formulas of these substances that they are very similar. There is a real connection between them.
Have a good day
neferkamichael
Old 10-29-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Hey Justfor1. I did the same thing when I quit drinking. Exercised like there was no tomorrow! You should have seen me a year after I quit drinking: muscles everywhere! Was it a bit much? Sure it was, but you know what, it was one of the best things I ever did. Exercise took my mind off the cravings, gave me a healthy way to spend my time, helped incredibly with my mood, and gave me a group of friends who liked to do stuff besides drink. It's a win-win. Just keep an eye on yourself: if you start training for a full ironman or an ultramarathon, you've probably gone too far.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!!

I am a runner and my sobriety is very much linked to having good runs. I have shot myself in the foot by running hungover on way too many mornings. Dry mouth, dead leg muscles, panting breath.... I love running sober and refreshed, at least I know my limits are just that, instead of some stupid self-imposed problem.

You Go!!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started going out for long walks after supper because that was the hardest time of the day for me. It helped me on so many levels to begin to feel better about myself. Years later, I still walk miles every day.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
The last 2 weeks I have been working out daily. It seems to be helping with my depression & I have very little cravings for booze. I rode my bike over 50miles this week & have been running every other day. I feel like I'm training to be a Navy Seal. I'm 5'11'' & am down to 165. I think exercising is very important in sobriety and often times get overlooked. I do not eat the donuts & other sugar type goodies that always seem to be at AA meetings. Some say there is some kind of connection to alcoholism and sugar intake. Just thought I should share to my SR friends.
A number of people have said that it is very helpful. Thanks for reinforcing it.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise is good. Since I quit drinking I've been playing a lot of tennis.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
High on Life

Exercise is amazing, been doing it for years. In fact I'm going on a 18 mile run tomorrow.

Google Racing for Recovery or Todd Crandell.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found that walking and jogging are helping me feel better and improving my body. When I use to work out before I moved, I was on a 2 on 1 off schedule (2 days working out, 1 day rest) so that's what I've been doing with jogging. Yesterday I was a couch potato and I usually am never like that but it helped me "heal" up a little for today's walk / jog.

I might wait a little bit though, it's only 29 degrees out LOL.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't exercised 'properly' in years, I used to run a lot about 6 years ago, but i ended up packing it in.

I went out and bought Kinect for the xbox yesterday hoping that it would get me back into doing something other than sitting and watching tv or working at my desk.

I can tell you just by the first few hours of playing I am seriously unfit, but it feels good to be gyrating around the living room.

I have a bike that i bought 6 years ago, and only used once, I'm hoping to start using it soon,

Thanks for the post, its good to know that it helps

AoS